• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

It's a wild friday night at Showcase-4's house, so let's get wild with our choices!!

Both of these unique gems sold for $34,500 within the past 2 years. Which one would you choose, and why???

1593808-ff71.jpg

the OA for the cover of FF71 by Kirby or........................

1593808-ashcan.jpg

as someone who doesn't quite get the appeal of Ashcans........FF71 OA for me!

I'd take the art. I'd be too afraid whatshisname made the ashcan. confused.gif

If it's large size art then I'll take the cover. If it's modern sized then I'll go with the Ashcan.

If it's large size art then I'll take the cover. If it's modern sized then I'll go with the Ashcan.

I agree. I just don't get the ashcan excitement, nothing against Moondog.

I knew I'd be in the minority. It seems like there's 2 kinds of collectors: those who find them fascinating & those who complain that they aren't "real" comics. That's totally understandable. I love them for their rarity. There's a thrill in going after a book with maybe 5 known copies. I guess I'm the opposite of those who post a new "9.8 X-Men" book every day & think it's special. I don't get it. confused-smiley-013.gif Post the CGC 9.8 Pacific Coast copies of X-Men 1-5 & I'll be impressed. thumbsup2.gif

I knew I'd be in the minority. It seems like there's 2 kinds of collectors: those who find them fascinating & those who complain that they aren't "real" comics. That's totally understandable. I love them for their rarity. There's a thrill in going after a book with maybe 5 known copies. I guess I'm the opposite of those who post a new "9.8 X-Men" book every day & think it's special. I don't get it. confused-smiley-013.gif Post the CGC 9.8 Pacific Coast copies of X-Men 1-5 & I'll be impressed. thumbsup2.gif

sumo.gif

You're right. I should be collecting these fascinating and rare books.

Next time they come up at auction, I'm going to bid VERY aggressively.

flowerred.gif Does that make you feel better?

gossip.gif I do like them -- just can't collect everything.

We'll compromise - you won't bid on any ashcans & I'll stay away from the X-Men. 27_laughing.gif

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to put down any specific person's collection. I actually have a few X-Men books (I think the highest I have is a lowly 9.2). I love the Dr. Doom cover on #145 & if someone had a 9.8 for sale, I'd probably bid on it! thumbsup2.gif

We'll compromise - you won't bid on any ashcans & I'll stay away from the X-Men. 27_laughing.gif

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to put down any specific person's collection. I actually have a few X-Men books (I think the highest I have is a lowly 9.2). I love the Dr. Doom cover on #145 & if someone had a 9.8 for sale, I'd probably bid on it! thumbsup2.gif

I pretty sure I'm out of X-men -- sold them off long ago.

Just having some fun -- remember, there is no Ashcan Collectors' Club.

I'll take the ashcan, looks pretty cool to me, I LOVE the logo, kinda makes me wish DC had gone with it "Superman comics ", it would compliment the "Action Comics" logo, and give the two titles a similar look.

hello all...

Sensation 1 for me....already had too many #35's this year, and never had a Sen 1 (that will change though...I would like to know who outbid me on the Crippin copy heritage just had! I didn't bid on the 9.4 slight, which went cheaper, cuz I thought I had the crippin copy...that is what I get for trying to win cheap...ugh!)

rick

Edited by Detective27kid