• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

I know this isn't quite the point of this thread, but which would people rather have:

Marvel Mystery 6 in G condition. (cover detached but looks slightly nicer than a G otherwise) for $800 or a Marvel Mystery 6 in VG/F condition that looks from the front cover like a Fine or better but has two waterstains on the interior of the book for $2250.

Which is the better deal and why?

Thanks!

I know this isn't quite the point of this thread, but which would people rather have:

Marvel Mystery 6 in G condition. (cover detached but looks slightly nicer than a G otherwise) for $800 or a Marvel Mystery 6 in VG/F condition that looks from the front cover like a Fine or better but has two waterstains on the interior of the book for $2250.

Thanks!

No strong preference on that choice. Both books seem pretty fairly priced. The Good copy is probably a bit better of a deal and would be easier to resell (more collectors looking in that price range), so I'd likely edge that direction.

I would take the Batman over both without hesitation, even though it looks like it was pressed.

I was thinking the same thing about it being pressed. I think 50 years from now that Batman 1 will still be historically significant, but I'm not sure if the FF1 will mean as much except to collectors. I thing AF15 is the only silver Marvel that can compete with Batman and Superman Keys.This is just my thoughts on it.

Totally agree. Batman 1 over both.

Danial wants 300k for that Bat 1 posted above you know.

Thanks!

Hmmm... I would be inclined to pick up the G condition one for $800, and get the cover re-attached, and then have some dough left over to purchase another early Marvel Mystery! I think if it was a favorite cover of mine, I might be inclined to pay more for it, but its not, so I wouldn't.

Don't know if one is a better deal or not, but I tend to go for lower end "pricey" books (i.e.: if the GOOD guide value is $1000 or over, chances are I'll be buying the GOOD copy).

The recent Heritage 8.5 copy went for 105k right?

Based on that I think a 9.0 would be worth from 150k to 175k tops!

The askin price is out of line[300k on comiclink] and Ill support this statement with their has been no sale of this book for 2 years on comiclink.

Dont you just hate when the seller dosnt need the money. I know I do.

I would take the Batman over both without hesitation, even though it looks like it was pressed.

I was thinking the same thing about it being pressed. I think 50 years from now that Batman 1 will still be historically significant, but I'm not sure if the FF1 will mean as much except to collectors. I thing AF15 is the only silver Marvel that can compete with Batman and Superman Keys.This is just my thoughts on it.

I agree as well. Superman and Batman are really part of the American culture. Everyone knows them. With Marvel, Spider-man is the only character that has reached close to that status. The Fantastic Four are a long way from there. Who know, maybe they'll reach it too. I just don't think so.

Thanks!

II'd go with the more complete version even though CGC hammers water stains but since this is a rare book $2,250 seems like a fair price. Also, I'd take the FF#1 because I think its worth way more on the open market than the Batman #1.

I would have taken the submariner... but the fact that it used to be a 9.0 (?) makes me a little sour on it at that price range yeahok.gif Tec for me. Assuming that the tec wasn't a 7.0 or something at one point yeahok.gifyeahok.gifyeahok.gif

Ill take the XMen#1 and the FF#1 over the Batman#1 9.0.

But all three books are ridiculously priced so they shouldnt even be compared to one another side by side.

Batman#1 is pretty common and while everyone points to it being Jokers and Catwoman 1st appearance, its not BATMANS first appearance and the 2 great villains arent on the cover. Two things that will hurt this book longterm. But the highest graded copies of XMen and FF will continue to increase in value while Batman#1 has stalled at 100K+ prices. FF and XMen will never catch Batman's reknown or popularity (well, they might as older generations disappear and younger ones take over etc but I dont think Batman will disappear from the stage so FF and especially XMen can CATCH him not surpass him) .

I also agree that I cant see much difference between 9.6s and 9.8s... but people place value on the BEST copy, and each of these books qualifies on that score.

Pre-hero Batman or Subby 3? sleeping.gifzzzzzz

Ill take the XMen#1 and the FF#1 over the Batman#1 9.0.

But all three books are ridiculously priced so they shouldnt even be compared to one another side by side.

Batman#1 is pretty common and while everyone points to it being Jokers and Catwoman 1st appearance, its not BATMANS first appearance and the 2 great villains arent on the cover. Two things that will hurt this book longterm. But the highest graded copies of XMen and FF will continue to increase in value while Batman#1 has stalled at 100K+ prices. FF and XMen will never catch Batman's reknown or popularity (well, they might as older generations disappear and younger ones take over etc but I dont think Batman will disappear from the stage so FF and especially XMen can CATCH him not surpass him) .

I also agree that I cant see much difference between 9.6s and 9.8s... but people place value on the BEST copy, and each of these books qualifies on that score.

Pre-hero Batman or Subby 3? sleeping.gifzzzzzz

The kids makin sence. Even though Id take the Batman 1.

I've seen a few people saying Batman #1 is fairly common... which is fine if you're comparing it to other golden age keys... but compared to silver age keys... there are almost 1200 X-men 1s in the census! There are 98 Batman #1s and more than half are restored.

Not that there is anything wrong with owning or wanting to own Silver Age keys, but lets not get carried away and say that X-Men 1 is a better buy, because Batman 1 is common. Maybe you think the X-Men or the FF will be more culturally significant in 50 years than Batman (you will most likely be wrong tongue.gif) but Batman 1 is still going to be 10 times harder to get, if not more.

sign-rantpost.gif

As for the more current Tec vs Subby battle, both very cool, but I would take the Mile High Tec. Of course I'd probably rather use the huge amount of cash either one would go for and spend it on something else. smile.gif