• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Normally I'd go for GA over SA, but am not a Robin fan, and because I'm hardly alone in this, I think a 9.4 AF #15 will always be easier to liquidate at full value than a 9.4 'Tec #38, even if the 'Tec is rarer. But to be honest if I had $125,000 to spend on one comic, neither one would be my choice.

I agree. If I had $125,000.00 to spend on one book, You can get a low-mid unrestored Detective Comics 27 or Action Comics 1. If you go restored you can get much nicer one. For that money, I just wouldn't buy Amazing Fantasy 15 or Detective Comics 38.

I'm with DK on this one.

I wouldn't spend $125K on any AF 15, or Tec 38, and certainly not for a restored MF 52, even if it is the Larson.

If you held a gun to my head, I would take the Tec 38 over either of the other two, because I need one for my run, and just couldn't see spending six figures on a silver age key in 9.4, it's not like that book is rare, even in grade.

It may not be "rare" but it is one of the most in demand books these days. Certainly more demand than supply. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

West

Good points about the long term value retention on AF #15, but

for me, even if I won the lottery, a high grade AF 15 holds marginal interest, whereas a high grade Spectre/Dr.Fate cover run of More Fun would be ON!

Bill, with all due respect the trend line graphs from GPA are useless on huge books like that. That trend line is probably (I'm guessing) drawn from two or three data points. One really big (or really small) sale will skew that graph like no tomorrow. Besides... what's the tag line you see on mutual fund reports? "Past performance is not a predictor of future earnings?" Something like that. Applies equally here.

Biggest risk IMO on 9.4 AF15s is that a bunch of 9.0s and 9.2s will get pressed or resubbed up to 9.4. But whatever. It's still a NM copy of the first appearance of the #1 (hate to say it) superhero today.

Just a snapshot in time I agree, but even if it is three dots on the graph, there are only six known dots, so if half traded and are trending down, it is still noteworthy.

I agree Spidey is the top superhero of today and has been for a long time.

But I also agree with you that 9.4's will continue to appear, true raws and possibly altered lower grades. That will diminish the others worth, in my opinion. Supply and demand usually drive price. If there continues to be an increased supply of 9.4 AF 15's won't that one day outstrip demand, and hence freeze or even lower prices?

Not many 9.4 big golden age keys exist at all, so they should remain a steady investment, for the filthy rich that is! grin.gif

but not every dealer reports to GPA. Your chart omits the 9.4 that was on the PGC site at 160K and was listed as Sales Pending of late. And whatever Metro's copy will sell for, which I will bet money will set a new record, as in 160+. (anyone think Metro would let it go for less than an all-time record?)

anyway, put me down for a 9.4 AF15 over the 9.4 ButtBoy First Appearance or the MF52 with glue on the basis of Spideys overwhelming popularity which shows no signs of slowing any time soon.... and certainly for far longer then it will take for Spectre or Robin to heat up enough to eclipse him. As in like never. Sucks that there are 6 9.4s

Bill, with all due respect the trend line graphs from GPA are useless on huge books like that. That trend line is probably (I'm guessing) drawn from two or three data points. One really big (or really small) sale will skew that graph like no tomorrow. Besides... what's the tag line you see on mutual fund reports? "Past performance is not a predictor of future earnings?" Something like that. Applies equally here.

Biggest risk IMO on 9.4 AF15s is that a bunch of 9.0s and 9.2s will get pressed or resubbed up to 9.4. But whatever. It's still a NM copy of the first appearance of the #1 (hate to say it) superhero today.

Just a snapshot in time I agree, but even if it is three dots on the graph, there are only six known dots, so if half traded and are trending down, it is still noteworthy.

I agree Spidey is the top superhero of today and has been for a long time.

But I also agree with you that 9.4's will continue to appear, true raws and possibly altered lower grades. That will diminish the others worth, in my opinion. Supply and demand usually drive price. If there continues to be an increased supply of 9.4 AF 15's won't that one day outstrip demand, and hence freeze or even lower prices?

Not many 9.4 big golden age keys exist at all, so they should remain a steady investment, for the filthy rich that is! grin.gif

but not every dealer reports to GPA. Your chart omits the 9.4 that was on the PGC site at 160K and was listed as Sales Pending of late. And whatever Metro's copy will sell for, which I will bet money will set a new record, as in 160+. (anyone think Metro would let it go for less than an all-time record?)

anyway, put me down for a 9.4 AF15 over the 9.4 ButtBoy First Appearance or the MF52 with glue on the basis of Spideys overwhelming popularity which shows no signs of slowing any time soon.... and certainly for far longer then it will take for Spectre or Robin to heat up enough to eclipse him. As in like never. Sucks that there are 6 9.4s

Like I said in my first post about this, I am usually proven wrong about AF 15, it has happened to me time and time again. One day I will be right! I just know it!

Six 9.4's is a lot. I predict that number will be in double digits within five years. What then? Still 160K each? What if the number on the census goes to 15 copies, then still 160k each?

I just wonder how much is enough for that book? That's all. If it keeps going up, then God bless it. I won't jump on the bandwagon though, that's for sure.

Detective 29

.....classic early Batman in unimprovable grade

Marvel Mystery 9

.....if I had to buy one MM it would be #9

& Flash 1

....first appearances galore, and Tec 1 is a curiousity IMO

Tec 1 -- I love curiousities cloud9.gif

Detective 29

.....classic early Batman in unimprovable grade

Marvel Mystery 9

.....if I had to buy one MM it would be #9

& Flash 1

....first appearances galore, and Tec 1 is a curiousity IMO

same choices as me. thumbsup2.gif

Six 9.4's is a lot. I predict that number will be in double digits within five years. What then? Still 160K each? What if the number on the census goes to 15 copies, then still 160k each?

I guess part of the answer will depend on whether the Dow is 25000?

Regarding double digit AF's in 9.4- What's the big deal? They will only be the second or third highest graded copy behind the 9.8 and 9.6's.

I assume everyone has heard the term "grade inflation"?

Edited by jkrk

good point about the Dow. I was trying to write a similar reply. With all the money sloshing around for luxury items (and is there any more valid expression of a luxury item than a $150,000.00 comic book??) anyway, with all the cash around, I dont find it that hard to surmise that 150K for THIS comic book in THIS grade will sound all that expensive. Looking at it another way, does anyone here really think the price of AF15 in the open market will stagnate in the nexy ten years? I dont.

Every copy that has come up fior sale since the 100K barrier was breached has sold quickly. 6 copies on a census of a book that is considered scarce in true HG have been eagerly snapped up by collectors. Will that change any time soon? In this case, more copies might actually mean higher sales.