• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1 (Back Cover)?

8 posts in this topic

In the spirit of the Detective 37 back cover saga, does anyone have the back cover to Batman 1. It is unique to the book, as it was a poster that was cut off from many a Batman 1. I'd be very interested in purchasing a back cover.

Me, and everyone else who has a Bats 1 missing the back cover poster... crazy.gif

There was an auction a few years back that had the figures cut out just like your notebook. Didn't it have a full front cover for Captain America #2?

Ed

Didn't see that one. This was a guy about 6 or 7 years ago who had a whole bunch of parts of comics. Seems some kid back in the 40s would cut up his comics, and staple the 8-page Starman story out of Adventure, or the Superman story out of Action, on and on with LOTS of books. Then he'd cut the figures of superheroes out of the cover, and paste them into a composition notebook. Over the course of a couple of months, I helped this guy identify what books many of these stapled stories came from. He mentioned the composition notebook, I asked if he'd like to sell it, and we worked out a deal. It's got all kinds of fun stuff in it. Here are some other pages...

book2.jpg

book3.jpg

book4.jpg

There was an auction a few years back that had the figures cut out just like your notebook. Didn't it have a full front cover for Captain America #2?

Ed

Sounds like you're talking about a lot (or lots, can't recall how many) I picked up that had a bunch of superman figures cut out from action comics along with partial covers, and complete covers for cap 2 and some marvel mystery war covers. all in very nice condition except for being cut-out, though not pasted anywhere. In a similar lot I had acquired a cap 1 cut-out front cover, knowing there was a copy out there missing the same piece and figuring it might even be from that book, but when the book turned up again years later, somebody had, in the meantime, massively and amateurishly restored it with bad color copies and marker pen, basically rendering it impossible to reassemble. So I did not bid on it despite having the precise piece needed to complete it.

I supppose its not too surprising that cutouts were done more than once, and then more probable to be kept as keepsakes than comics themselves. Very cool collectible in their own right. Kind of a combination of folklore art and comic history. Definitely gives a shot of nostalgia more than a regular comic book.

I just remembered that Cap #2 auction/ notebook. I think I bid maybe $100 and was shocked that it went for much much more. It was a while ago but I remmeber it for being a fairly interesting item.

Ed

Don't now if it was the same item or not. The cap 2 cover I got was a nice copy that went for a fairly small percentage of good and went nicely with a coverless copy I had. Technically a Frankencopy, I guess. Though you could suppose it's possible they came from the same book, it's probably unlikely ;cause when a book got pieces cut out 60 years ago you can presume the rest went in the trash.,