• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll: Action #1, what do you think?

What's Your Grade?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Grade?

16 posts in this topic

Just curious to see what the consensus is on this infamous book since someone actually said that they thought this book was graded correctly. I just want to make sure I'm not losing my marbles.

Check it out here and then vote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2180839156&category=35752

I voted Good-, because it is pretty amazing what Overstreet allows these days in a Good (e.g. tape, brown pages).

It's been much remarked that since CGC the upper end grades (9.0 and higher) have really tightened up. Does anyone else perceive a corresponding loosening of standards for VG and less books? In the old days of the 1:3:6 spread for Good:Fine:NearMint it seems the discrimination between Good-ish and Mint-y books was not so great because the monetary incentive was not so great. But seems to me at least that with the huge spreads between Good and Mint, you now have many fewer books worthy of Near Mint, but many many more books included in Good.

rantpost.gif

I gave it a good - only because i have had books in fair that were considerably less solid than that (structurally). Like bad spine roll and very loose staples AND missing pieces. It may be ugly but its structurally sound and otherwise ok. It does have a single huge problem, but I think a fair grade is for books less solid. I can definitely see why someone would rate it a fair. Ugliness is important but i think a solid structure is more important. I dont think it ranks a fair grade but its definitely a LOW end good with that horrible disfigurement. IMHO

Ps. Rob, CGC definitely overgraded this one!

boo.gifmakepoint.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif

Here's my question to all:

If you owned this book, would you get it restored or leave as is? Say a professional restorer could replace that piece, and do nothing else to the book. If you were wealthy enough to own an Action #1, would you ever REALLY be happy showing that piece off to your rich buddies? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's my question to all:

If you owned this book, would you get it restored or leave as is? Say a professional restorer could replace that piece, and do nothing else to the book. If you were wealthy enough to own an Action #1, would you ever REALLY be happy showing that piece off to your rich buddies? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rob, if i were rich, I would have a better copy. NO DOUBT. I think this copy is more for someone who may not be rich, but has some extra cash to afford this low end copy. Someone who has to dig deep to get it. Like if you or i hit the pick 5 lottery. You win maybe $150k, that gives you the cash to afford a copy in this kind of condition and still have some money left over. But you are right, this is not the copy for a rich person.

I don't think I would buy anything less than a 4.0 ...to me this would be like buying a crayon drawing from Picasso when he was 5...sure it's a real Picasso but....

If you can't afford to buy it in decent shape...then you should'nt be buying it.

Just MHO

J.D.

I don't think I would buy anything less than a 4.0 ...to me this would be like buying a crayon drawing from Picasso when he was 5...sure it's a real Picasso but....

If you can't afford to buy it in decent shape...then you should'nt be buying it.

Just MHO

J.D.

What are you saying JD? That all low grade copies of books should be systematically destroyed? Hey there is nothing wrong with buying a low grade copy of a key if you are on a low budget. By your reasoning, people without the extra money to afford nice copies of key books should not collect comics. Sounds like you have a silver spoon in your mouth. Just MHO

That Whiz is a great comparison as the rest of the book is not that bad (although I wonder if the cover is brittle?).

I think the Action 1 is a G- if the cover/staples/interior pages are tight. I agree with the comment above about the book being a lot more structurally solid than a beat up Fair copy (staple tears, heavy spine roll, large creases/tears, pieces out, etc.,.) would be.

In this grade, I would definitely have this book cleaned (and pressed is the way to go!) if those stains could be removed/reduced. Not so sure about replacing the piece. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just MHO

J.D.

What are you saying JD? That all low grade copies of books should be systematically destroyed? Hey there is nothing wrong with buying a low grade copy of a key if you are on a low budget. By your reasoning, people without the extra money to afford nice copies of key books should not collect comics. Sounds like you have a silver spoon in your mouth. Just MHO

Not at all...I'm just saying i would not pay $38,000.00 for something that was not visually appealing to me for the sake of saying "Yeah, I own an Action #1"...buy a reprint...this comic is ugly.....I would not be proud to own it or to show it to people.

Let's be honest...when we get to a certain level of money it becomes less of a comic book and more a piece of art...you don't buy an Action #1 to read the stories....it's an investment...an object of art...and this book , if I can phrase an old New York term is "fugly" (f@*&king ugly)...

....and if you want to take that as silver spoon or snobbish that's your view...I on the other hand would not feel PROUD to own this, I'd rather be a snob than a wannabe.

J.D.

Just MHO

J.D.

Not at all...I'm just saying i would not pay $38,000.00 for something that was not visually appealing to me for the sake of saying "Yeah, I own an Action #1"...buy a reprint...this comic is ugly.....I would not be proud to own it or to show it to people.

Let's be honest...when we get to a certain level of money it becomes less of a comic book and more a piece of art...you don't buy an Action #1 to read the stories....it's an investment...an object of art...and this book , if I can phrase an old New York term is "fugly" (f@*&king ugly)...

....and if you wan't to take that as silver spoon or snobbish that's your view...I on the other hand would not feel PROUD to own this, I'd rather be a snob than a wannabe.

I think this particular low grade book is a bad example. There are plenty of presentable GDs and VGs out there. Even a few presentable FRs. This book is, regardless of grade, very ugly, so I'd have to agree that I wouldn't want to own this copy. But I don't agree that there's no place for low grade books in a collection. Personally, I long ago decided that one of these days I'm going to buy a solid GD Showcase #4.

....and if you wan't to take that as silver spoon or snobbish that's your view...I on the other hand would not feel PROUD to own this, I'd rather be a snob than a wannabe.

J.D.

Ok i am sorry for the silver spoon thing...I understand that this is not a book to be particularly proud to own. But i would still be happy to add it to my collection for a low enough price. Also, I own a good amount of low grade stuff that i am proud of. I have a Good copy of Action # 23 and Superman # 14. I also have a low grade Det 42 and 48 that both look great. I have a low grade USA # 11 that I am proud of also. I am proud to display them all when given the chance.

rantpost.gif

....and if you want to take that as silver spoon or snobbish that's your view...I on the other hand would not feel PROUD to own this, I'd rather be a snob than a wannabe.

J.D.

Ok i am sorry for the silver spoon thing...I understand that this is not a book to be particularly proud to own. But i would still be happy to add it to my collection for a low enough price. Also, I own a good amount of low grade stuff that i am proud of. I have a Good copy of Action # 23 and Superman # 14. I also have a low grade Det 42 and 48 that both look great. I have a low grade USA # 11 that I am proud of also. I am proud to display them all when given the chance.

rantpost.gif

Apology accepted...Rob is right..there are plenty of presentable 2.0 copies of scarce/key books around, and as a collector and completionist I can appreciate owning them....but this thread is about this specific book...it's not a book for a collector...it's a book for a dealer to buy and try to flip and make an easy grand or two on....this book has been passed around more times than a five dollar whore on fleet day.

J.D.