• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Surprises from CGC

14 posts in this topic

Please share with us some of your most pleasent surprises you've gotten from CGC. Have you ever gotten a book back 9.6 when you were hoping for a 9.0. A Vf book come back NM?

I always hear about the horror stories but as I prepare my first six books to be shipped, I'd love to hear some good tales of theirs.I've tried to grade real tight and am hoping the books come back higher than I hoped. Let me know if it has happened to you.

Bill

Best I've come up with is a book I graded right between NM-/NM that came back a 9.6

For the most part I'm always within 1 of my grade.. with the exception of the ASM 132 that I sent in that got an 8.0 for reasons unknown to me.

Brian

If you are sending in Golden Age, you might get surprises.

The first five books I sent to CGC I got 4 books, 2 notches higher than I expected (i.e. VF+ was a NM-, etc.), and one book right one. All but one book was Golden Age.

The second six I sent (all Marvel Keys) came back around what I thought but two came back purple (one "small amount of glue on the side" and another "pressed and cleaned"). Because of the first batch, I was hoping for more.

Needless to say, I was very happy with the first batch and very disappointed in the second batch.

Can you let us know what books you are going to send and what you think the grades are?
Be happy to: Tales of Suspense 60 VF+/nm- white pages Conan 1 9.0+ Tales to Astonish 60 VF+/NM Avengers 10 9.0 Amazing Spidey 100 9.2 JLA 110 9.4 Fantastic Four 49 9.0 My 1st runner up was a TOS 63 9.2 I really expect them to grade an increment higer but am preping for disappointment.

Two will be on those certificates you get for winning and such and the others will economy.Was thinking of rushing them so I can compare my grading to theirs but figured it wasn't worth it. It is a real problem though if you are trying to flip books. If you come across a decent sized Silver Age collection,you are almost forced to bring in investors or partners to keep the cash flow going. Most sellers want cash and then you have more cash tied up for months awaiting the books to be returned.

If you're sending in 3..you might as well buy the C.S. membership for 99 dollars and get the 3 express submissions.. you'll have the books back in a little more than a week and your cost is like 20 dollars more.

Brian

..it was almost a year ago, I joined the Collector's Society. I submitted (3) Hulk 180's that I bought off Ebay during a 2 month span. I paid around $100+ for (2) of them and hit a $200 BIN on another and took a chance since the scan looked great.

They returned...

9.4oww

9.4 White ($200 copy)

9.6 White

I can't say it was a complete surprise, as I had high hopes and thought I had a great chance of getting a 9.6 and a 9.4... but I was not overly confident either. For the 2 years prior, I bought 7 ungraded Hulk 180's trying to produce my own high grade copy. I only managed (4) 9.0's and (3) not worth grading. I feel CGC was/is VERY tough on this book, so I was prepared to be disappointed too. Anyway, It was quite a run of good fortune. I have not found a worthy raw copy since.

Today, I received some more good 180 news! I resubmitted a perfect 9.4 (I kept the best 9.4 of the several I owned at one time or another). It was nicer than (2) of the 9.6's i had and equal to the 9.8's as well... IMHO anyway. I learned today that its coming back a 9.6! I felt very confident that I'd get the 9.6 this time, but was still holding out hope for a 9.8. I'll post that book when it comes back.. Its the BEST 9.6 I've had for sure.

Other than that, just some 9.6's on books I figured would get 9.4.

I had one other Resub victory (not quite a surprise) a 9.2 Hulk 181 came back 9.4.

MS 5 - CGC 9.6 - Pre-grade 9.2

MS 5 - CGC 9.4 - Pre-grade 9.0

MTU 4 - CGC 9.6 - 2 small corner creases but a perfect spine! No specific pre-grade.

Most of my 9.8s1 confused.gif