• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Natural Disasters and Comics

11 posts in this topic

I know this post might seem a little morbid or downright crude. But, when a major natural or un-natural distaster strikes an area, does anyone know how many GA or scarce books get destroyed? For instance, Katrina, any scarce books get destroyed in that event? Like a Action #1 or Batman #1?

I'm thinking that these ultra-scarce books should be tracked somehow in order to determine how many copies remain in existance.

I think that when a natural disaster hits, the last thing in the world people give a krap about is comics confused-smiley-013.gif

You seem to be missing my point. insane.gif

Nope, you're missing mine

I don't know, if I didn't have kids, I can see myself running for my box of top census GA before I bolt.

I think the question of attrition of books is interesting, however attrition may occur. Even though we are much more aware of the value of many "collectibles" these days and thus they are better preserved, sheet still happens and fewer books exist as time marches on.

I think that when a natural disaster hits, the last thing in the world people give a krap about is comics confused-smiley-013.gif

You seem to be missing my point. insane.gif

Nope, you're missing mine

I'm thinking that these ultra-scarce books should be tracked somehow in order to determine how many copies remain in existance.

I was leading towards a type of registry for these ultra scarce books so that in 20-50 years these Actions #1 don't go the way of the Dodo and become extinct. If that does happen I bet there are a few out there that will give a "krap" when a comic gets destroyed.

Isnt the uncertanty factor what makes these scarce books valuable? There are probably a few private people that have these scarce books that wish to remain private.

I see the point you are trying to make but using natural disasters is a bad example. What if all of a sudden a thousand private collectors said they have an AC #1, what would the value for this book be now?

Isnt the uncertanty factor what makes these scarce books valuable? There are probably a few private people that have these scarce books that wish to remain private.

I see the point you are trying to make but using natural disasters is a bad example. What if all of a sudden a thousand private collectors said they have an AC #1, what would the value for this book be now?

I'd be making a few calls.......$$$ value is not the only thing at work here.

Exactly, having this registry would/might make some of these valuable books depreciate in value. This is in my best interest because like many collectors I can't shell out $50k for one book.

I also think that, for posterity's sake, a registry of some of these books might be a good idea. Having CGC and PGX slab books and registering them in a database is the right way to go. Not only can they track how many books in a certain grade there are but I believe they can also track where they are located.