• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane upgrades his balls...

30 posts in this topic

I can't believe how much McFarlane has from just marketing his crappy Spawn character and from his action figures. He's gotta be worth at least 50+ mill if he can afford to pay $3 million on a stupid mcguire ball. Hell, i'll never buy another McFarlane product out of principle just because the man is an [!@#%^&^] and he's loaded.

I can't believe how much McFarlane has from just marketing his crappy Spawn character and from his action figures. He's gotta be worth at least 50+ mill if he can afford to pay $3 million on a stupid mcguire ball. Hell, i'll never buy another McFarlane product out of principle just because the man is an [!@#%^&^] and he's loaded.

You won't buy his stuff out of principle?? So you won't buy because the guy started as a pencil man, got a few breaks, came up with a popular charecter, and had his pay day? confused.gif

Wow, not liking someone because they are succesful. crazy.gif

Well... mcfarlane certainly had his day... how about the other image founders... ?

I bet Jim Lee's doing pretty well (financially), and Marc Silvestri I'm sure has made some money from the Witchblade show and maybe selling rights to the other characters... and then of course there's poor Jim Valentino... what happened to him.

I left out Liefeld because I frankly don't care what happened to him.

not because he is successful..but because he is a hippocrite. He earned the respect and admiration for standing up to Marvel's plantation business style. Then went out and got rich and treated his work for hire employees just as callously towards their efforts that led to Todds enrichment as Marvel (and DC) did.

and gererally has been a real hole for the past 10 years...

...and Spawn has sucked for about 100 issues now!

I think Todd felt he HAD to buy this ball. Its the only way to have some control over what his other stupid balls will sell for. Kind of overpaying for a Spidey#1, and getting a real good deal on AF15 to balance the two.

I thought it was hilarious when McFarlane paid $3mil for the McGuire ball, then the next year Bonds breaks the record. Kind of like shelling out the big bucks for a Silver CGC 9.8 only to find another one in the next census update. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think Todd felt he HAD to buy this ball. Its the only way to have some control over what his other stupid balls will sell for. Kind of overpaying for a Spidey#1, and getting a real good deal on AF15 to balance the two.

Absolutely. As time goes by, the McGwire and Sosa balls he has become less and less relevant. He needed the Bonds ball to complete his collection.

yea, yea, yea...................No matter if we like it or not, this is still about money. It is still a business, and it's easy to stand on a soap box and chant about selling out. Kinda like screaming direction to people on a sinking ship.....................from the life boat wink.gif

You know, I have always liked Mcfarlane,He has that "gotta have it" attitude when it comes to collectibles.I bought his ASM issues when the came around issues 314 up to 319 or so,then Spiderman 1 came out and i though that was the coolest art in the world,Then Spawn came around,bout the first 40 issues of that,He's still my favorite artist,his story telling kinda sucks but I don't care,he has a great style and it made him rich. Kevin

yea, yea, yea...................No matter if we like it or not, this is still about money. It is still a business, and it's easy to stand on a soap box and chant about selling out. Kinda like screaming direction to people on a sinking ship.....................from the life boat wink.gif

not exactly. A guy takes a moral stand. PUBLICLY! (They got major press for breaking with Marvel as it was at the height of the Perelman era Marvel stock hype) And every chance they got, they said they because of the way they were treated.

SO when you set yourself up in the public eya as the "little guy in the right" against the big ,bad, mean, greedy Corporation......and then you BECOME the same. Well, I think people are allowed to de disappointed and disdainful.

and then of course there's poor Jim Valentino... what happened to him.

Foolkiller,

Jim V. is the Image publisher now,I'm sure he has money too.Ever hear him talk? sounds like a ,kinda like gman's friend and fellow shill bidder Jamie AKA Pumpkinface

hmmm... no i've never met or spoken to Valentino. On the other hand, as Image publisher, I'm sure he's not hurting... he was never as big a name as the other guys...

I wonder who would be considered the most successful of the bunch? I suppose McFarlane, but inside the industry itself, I think it's gotta be Jim Lee.

not because he is successful..but because he is a hippocrite. He earned the respect and admiration for standing up to Marvel's plantation business style. Then went out and got rich and treated his work for hire employees just as callously towards their efforts that led to Todds enrichment as Marvel (and DC) did.

and gererally has been a real hole for the past 10 years...

...and Spawn has sucked for about 100 issues now!

Correctumundo.

Read one of McFarlane's articles sometime and just the pompous hypocritical attitude he has had.