• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Collector's And The Hatred Of Restoration

221 posts in this topic

I posted this in Golden Age because I think it an important issue to this part of the market.

For those of you out there who dislike/hate/loathe restoration of any kind, I'd like to know why. I'm not trying to judge anyone

yes....this is a touchy subject...not sure why, but it certainly is. I firmly hate/loathe/ restoration of any kind, and you could consider me an extremist on this subject. With that said, to each his own, and I have admired many a restored book, and know very savvy collectors who's prized posessions happen to be restored comics...more power to 'em!

I do lump all restoration together....slight, moderate, extensive, amateur, professional, color touch, tear seal, spine reinforcement etc. etc....I want nothig to do with any book that has had any combination of the above. My mindset is: "if it's purple, I pass".

Now as to why....I think the driving force behind my PLOD hatred is multi-faceted:

1. there are plenty of unrestored books out there....I'd rather hold out for one

2. tougher to sell ( everyone buys unrestored / not everyone buys restored )

3. nothing kills value / appreciation rates more than restoration ( the way things are today ....present attitude towards it..mainly because of guys like me )

4. 2004 rice paper and glue does not belong on a 1940 comic book...it is unatural

5. it is not authentic...it's like cheating

6. I want "the real thing"....worts and all

7. rather have a VG book than a VF Frankenbook - authenticity of the book

8. restoration on many books is to create a false appearance of superior condition....it's a smoke screen

9. if something even has a name like PLOD...rigth there you know you are dealing with something undesirable

**there is also a loophole ...as a collector of some very, very old books, I do believe in and am presently having work done to several books strictly for the purpose of preservation.....preservation and restoration are 2 completely different, yet somewhat similar subjects. Preservation is not typically needed on GA books, as they are just not old enough to be turning to dust. On a 150 year old book, preservation is often needed to keep from having a pile of scraps 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

bet you this post will stir things up even more....but you asked!

aside from all of the above, which strictly focuses on the effects of restoration on a book itself, it also has helped create a lucrative market based on lies and deception by criminals.....yes, I am calling sellers of restored books that have knowledge of work done that is not disclosed criminals....they are committing fraud, and should be in prison.

I have had several experiences that required me to call the local police dept. on a seller...all on Ebay transactions by the way, as their attitude after a bought a raw book as unrestored that CGC confirmed was restored was "hope you like the book...all sales are final". I don't think so,,,,not with me.

Restoration has created a breeding ground for scum bag criminals...they are drawn to it like a magnet because you can triple your money in 2 weeks....all you have to do is lie, deceive, cheat, and show no regard for your fellow human being. Restoration is in a way a curse on this great hobby

I posted this in Golden Age because I think it an important issue to this part of the market.

For those of you out there who dislike/hate/loathe restoration of any kind, I'd like to know why. I'm not trying to judge anyone

yes....this is a touchy subject...not sure why, but it certainly is. I firmly hate/loathe/ restoration of any kind, and you could consider me an extremist on this subject. With that said, to each his own, and I have admired many a restored book, and know very savvy collectors who's prized posessions happen to be restored comics...more power to 'em!

I do lump all restoration together....slight, moderate, extensive, amateur, professional, color touch, tear seal, spine reinforcement etc. etc....I want nothig to do with any book that has had any combination of the above. My mindset is: "if it's purple, I pass".

Now as to why....I think the driving force behind my PLOD hatred is multi-faceted:

1. there are plenty of unrestored books out there....I'd rather hold out for one

3. nothing kills value / appreciation rates more than restoration ( the way things are today ....present attitude towards it..mainly because of guys like me )

4. 2004 rice paper and glue does not belong on a 1940 comic book...it is unatural

8. restoration on many books is to create a false appearance of superior condition....it's a smoke screen

9. if something even has a name like PLOD...rigth there you know you are dealing with something undesirable

**there is also a loophole ...as a collector of some very, very old books, I do believe in and am presently having work done to several books strictly for the purpose of preservation.....preservation and restoration are 2 completely different, yet somewhat similar subjects. Preservation is not typically needed on GA books, as they are just not old enough to be turning to dust. On a 150 year old book, preservation is often needed to keep from having a pile of scraps 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

aside from all of the above, which strictly focuses on the effects of restoration on a book itself, it also has helped create a lucrative market based on lies and deception by criminals.....yes, I am calling sellers of restored books that have knowledge of work done that is not disclosed criminals....they are committing fraud, and should be in prison.

I have had several experiences that required me to call the local police dept. on a seller...all on Ebay transactions by the way, as their attitude after a bought a raw book as unrestored that CGC confirmed was restored was "hope you like the book...all sales are final". I don't think so,,,,not with me.

Restoration has created a breeding ground for scum bag criminals...they are drawn to it like a magnet because you can triple your money in 2 weeks....all you have to do is lie, deceive, cheat, and show no regard for your fellow human being. Restoration is in a way a curse on this great hobby

Restoration is not the curse on the hobby. Greed is. It is not the books fault that some one sold it to you without disclosing the restoration.

It's happened to probably all of us.

I bought a Batman 3 from Motor City Comics over a year ago off eBay that was "unrestored". The book had an obvious color touch and tear seal. They argued with me tooth and nail that the book was not restored and I don't know what I'm talking about. So, I took it to Richard Evans at Bedrock City and he agreed with me and went up to bat for me with Motor City. Eventually, we worked out a deal where I paid them a little more and got a Detective Comics 30.

It happens. Sometimes it's an honest mistake. I'm no expert at detecting restoration. Then there are the people who will screw you over. But it's not the fault of the book itself.

I bought a Batman 3 from Motor City Comics over a year ago off eBay that was "unrestored". The book had an obvious color touch and tear seal. They argued with me tooth and nail that the book was not restored and I don't know what I'm talking about. So, I took it to Richard Evans at Bedrock City and he agreed with me and went up to bat for me with Motor City. Eventually, we worked out a deal where I paid them a little more and got a Detective Comics 30.

sorry to hear this happened to you, but now we all know not to trust Motor City Comics ( assuming this all is true, and we have no reason to believe it's not from this detail of events). I am an Ebay seller, and I can't imagine not offering an immediate refund if one of my buyers was unhappy due to my false description of an items condition ( not that I would ever have a false description in the 1st place ). There is no way a large dealer did not notice obvious color touch on one of their books for sale....I guess the rent for their store was due that week, and it became your problem.

So was it an oversite by motor city or did they know they sold you a restored book and tried to get away with it?

It sounds like Motor City has some 'splainin' to do. Maybe they should comment in this thread. Most big dealers wouldn't have questioned the buyer as much and just taken the book back.Large dealers turn over a lot of books and I can see one slipping through the cracks, but the level of denial seems pretty stong on their part. I've had good dealings with them but It seems they need to comment on this. Are they on the boards here?

Whoa! Don't mince words Steve, tell us how you really feel! poke2.gif

A curse on the hobby??? Kind of harsh huh? Taking a poor beaten and torn old book from my collection and letting Matt Nelson turn it into a gem that I am proud to own, unafraid to read and handle, and in my opinion more fun to own, surely doesn't sound like a curse to me.

If it is then I am happily cursed! yay.gif

A curse on the hobby??? Kind of harsh huh? Taking a poor beaten and torn old book from my collection and letting Matt Nelson turn it into a gem that I am proud to own, unafraid to read and handle, and in my opinion more fun to own, surely doesn't sound like a curse to me.

let me clarify...the curse is not the restoration, or the book it is performed on. The curse is the human being who takes advantage of his fellow human by intentional lack of disclosure

let me clarify...the curse is not the restoration, or the book it is performed on. The curse is the human being who takes advantage of his fellow human by intentional lack of disclosure

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification, I was starting to feel "unclean" re-reading my Flash #1 (restored) this morning...

[quote

Restoration has created a breeding ground for scum bag criminals...

:

True to some extent. But what is also true is that attacking honest people who restore books, and attacking all restored books or repaired books as if they were the same, has created a breeding ground for scumbag criminals who connive people into buying worthless garbage just because it happens to be high grade and unrestored. People walk up to their booths, call their shops or email them looking for bootks, and the scumbag criminal says the best place to put your money is in higfh grade unrestored books. And have I got a beauty for you. It's a ()fill in the blank with anything from an older book nobody ever heard of because it flopped or a newer book featuring a known hero that was printed yesterday).

That form of scumbag criminal is much more common these days, and is the cause of many more dollars being scammed from unsuspecting people. Yet we don't hear much outrage about it.

tonofbricks.gif

[quote

Restoration has created a breeding ground for scum bag criminals...

:

True to some extent. But what is also true is that attacking honest people who restore books, and attacking all restored books or repaired books as if they were the same, has created a breeding ground for scumbag criminals who connive people into buying worthless garbage just because it happens to be high grade and unrestored. People walk up to their booths, call their shops or email them looking for bootks, and the scumbag criminal says the best place to put your money is in higfh grade unrestored books. And have I got a beauty for you. It's a ()fill in the blank with anything from an older book nobody ever heard of because it flopped or a newer book featuring a known hero that was printed yesterday).

That form of scumbag criminal is much more common these days, and is the cause of many more dollars being scammed from unsuspecting people. Yet we don't hear much outrage about it.

tonofbricks.gif

ahhh yes, but there is a big difference here Bob. The dealer who is pushing his own inventory of high grade unrestored whatevers is giving the customer what they paid for....a high grade unrestored whatever.

In the case of intentional undisclosed restoration, the buyer is being deceived and is a victum of fraud 893scratchchin-thumb.gif....he paid for an apple, but really got a grape

[quote

ahhh yes, but there is a big difference here Bob. The dealer who is pushing his own inventory of high grade unrestored whatevers is giving the customer what they paid for....a high grade unrestored whatever.

In the case of intentional undisclosed restoration, the buyer is being deceived and is a victum of fraud 893scratchchin-thumb.gif....he paid for an apple, but really got a grape

There is no difference in the level of deceit. If a seller tells someone something is valuable just because it's high grade and unrestored and you know there are countless copies just like it and that it will be a terrible investment over time, the seller is deceiving them.

The buyer in that case has been told he's buying an apple (good investment) but has been deceived into thinking it's a grape.

And when such a seller sets up that dynamic (favoring unrestored high grade even if common or meaningless) by telling buyers there's no difference in value between a book with slight restoration dutifully disclosed and a massively restored book intentionaly undisclosed, they are wronging not only the buyer but honest people who disclose restoration and take pains to keep it minimal.,

In both cuases, the fraud comes back to deliberately misleading the buyer

<<<The buyer in that case has been told he's buying an apple (good investment) but has been deceived into thinking it's a grape.>>>>

Obviously the apple-grape line should have read as follows

The buyer in that case has been told he's buying an apple (good investment) but has been deceived into BUYING a grape.

There is no difference in the level of deceit. If a seller tells someone something is valuable just because it's high grade and unrestored and you know there are countless copies just like it and that it will be a terrible investment over time, the seller is deceiving them.

I disagree to an extent. If you call up a shop and ask for their Batman #3 CGC 6.0 PLOD and they convince you that a Wambi #1 CGC 9.0 is a better investment then it is YOUR fault. Buying things you know nothing about is just dumb. If you're the owner of that store and you tell me that then I would tell you "Really? Huh. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you". Then I do my research. I call back and take the Batman. If he doesn't have it I call the next shop.

That said I do think SOME dealers intentionally mis-lead less informed buyers. In the end though it's still up to the Buyer to know what they're getting. That's why I don't take advice from any of the shops in Arizona... their employees and/or owners have far less knowledge than I do (and I don't have that much) and try to push crappy books like they're the second coming.

Oh... and there's still the fact that if people are only buying comics as "investments" then I'm not disappointed when they get burned. It's people that pay stupid money for books because of their future "potential" that drive prices up beyond my means. If they are suckered into buying 10 copies of Witchblade #100 in CGC 9.8 I'm ok with that. Heck... I'm almost giddy about it. Especially if it made them pass on that beautiful Wow #11 PLOD because now I have the chance to get it...

People who love the comics aren't the ones that are most likely to get burned by dealers pushing high grade worthless stock.

aoptheosis, your points are well taken;. But I have to add that anytime you spend more money on a book than the cover price you may love it but it also has to be considered an investment, too. I love my house and love that it fits all my kids' needs,etc. But whenever I buy a house I must take into account what I would be able to resell it for. Everything expensive which is bought and sold and resold regularly should be considered an investment as well as something you just like to have.

As for the buyer bewarre aspects of your posts, I wrote what I did in response to numerous complaints and posts and efforts by others to have it etched in granite that anything remotely smacking of deception when it comes to restoration is a crime but it should be considered a-okay to wilfully deceive people into thinking they should spend money on things they know are worthless.

People should not be crying they're on the high ground even as they extoll the virtues of scamming the uninformed in other ways.

And even aside from the essential irony and contradiction when a person does that, I feel it needs to be pointed out that the assault on restoration is not always a separate issue from deceiving people intio bying the 9.8 slabbed copy of witchblade. People are using anti-restoration "outrage" as tool for scamming people into buying such books. And as one person among money who restored books and disclosed it and did so with good faith and in accordance with the standards of the hobby and with the written blessing of the overstreet guide, I take offense when people not only lie to get people to waste their money on garbage, they build that lie on a willfull misrepresentation of facts concerning restored books and a deliberate manipulation and misrepresentation of the market for books I and others bought and restored in good faith.

The press periodically does stories on comics and has often quoted some of these scammers talking about how all restored books should be avoided and that high grade copies of witchblade "have nowhere to go but up." And I do not appreciate that the readers of some of those lies then look at an action 1 I may have for sale and say they were advised to stay away because of the dot of color touch in the white area of the logo; and how they read the overstreet guide and it says the book is worth only 39,000, and how the market reports they're reading say that spending your money on a witchblade slabbed 9.8 is a wise place to put your money. I'll say again, it's one thing when people complain about "fraud" in restoration, but some of those people are the very same ones who have warehouses full of the likes og witchblade 9.8s and they are decrying restoration not to protect others but to scam others. And it's one thing when people imply that such buyers get what's coming to them, and should make themselves informed. But I have a hard time considering it just between that sellre and buyer and nothing to do with me when the seller has purposely attacked the value of my holdings in order to scam his buyers. Then I consider it very much my business, and I feel like initiating some press myself about how people are being scammed into buying worthless *spoon* and that information on all levels is manipulated to encourage them being scammed.

If sellers want to scam people and expect others to do nothing, then they should think about who's in their crossfire.

Here is a simple sum-up to the whole isse about people deliberately using the anti-restoration view to scam people into buying unrestored garbage.

I can see no good and honest reason whatsoever for anybody to insist that the details of restoration be kept ambiguous.

Withholding information is automatically deception. So why do it? And why insist that policies of the CGC insist on withholding information? Why insist that CGC's standards be ambiguous?

The only reason anybody would ever take up valuable time to prevent disclosure of details about restored books is in order to prevent people from realizing or concluding on their own that, in some cases, it is no big deal.

And the only reason to do that is to boost the value of unrestored books so it will be easier to scam people into buying easily obtainable and grossly inflated unrestored books.

And that is the story the press should be covering when it writes about the collectible comics market

Oh... and there's still the fact that if people are only buying comics as "investments" then I'm not disappointed when they get burned. It's people that pay stupid money for books because of their future "potential" .

I know EXACTLY what you mean.....kinda reminds me of the guy who advertised on page 255 of this years OPG. I think he would have been better off investing in Enron stock gossip.gif

I have no problem buying restored books. I try to value the book using the FFB (I believe it was his) model which I understand as follows:

I take the unrestored value of a book and add the cost of the work done and maybe put a slight premium on the book since you can look at the finished product. If I can buy the restored book at a cheaper price than I can put the whole package together (Blue label grade plus cost of work) the book is a decent value.

Why should a book which graded at a $1500 value (for example) before restoration have work done (adds to the cost) to improve the look and the finished product be worth less than the original product? I'm willing to play under those terms. I don't view restoration as a problem. I simply understand I am buying a lower end grade made to look like a high grade copy. I price the books accordingly.

My question is whether a book that is restored into a very high grade loses the interest of many buyers? For instance, suppose a Green Lantern (GA) 1 is restored into a 9.4. Are there any buyers who will pay $10,000+ for a restored GA Green Lantern in super high grade? Clearly the big 4 (Action, Superman, Batman, and Detective) are in such demand currently buyers will pay a high asking price. What about 2nd tier titles and keys restored to super high grades?

So was it an oversite by motor city or did they know they sold you a restored book and tried to get away with it?

I don't know. Since I have no way of proving it either way, I'll say it was a mistake. Now, I will not purchase from them again considering the way they handled it. Them saying because I didn't use a black light doesn't make the color touch certain is just wrong. It was a very obvious color touch and tear seal. The other dealer I showed the book to saw it imediately, and more that I didn't get.

Mistakes happen all the time and I can forgive that in a heartbeat, but don't try and tell me I'm incompotent if you want to keep my business.

And all sales final doesn't apply when the item is misrepresented.

I don't know. Since I have no way of proving it either way, I'll say it was a mistake. Now, I will not purchase from them again considering the way they handled it. Them saying because I didn't use a black light doesn't make the color touch certain is just wrong. It was a very obvious color touch and tear seal. The other dealer I showed the book to saw it imediately, and more that I didn't get.

Mistakes happen all the time and I can forgive that in a heartbeat, but don't try and tell me I'm incompotent if you want to keep my business.

And all sales final doesn't apply when the item is misrepresented.

Ouch mad.gif

I've had problems with Motor City before re: hidden restoration.

I did puchase some books from them in San Diego this year and was VERY careful (I had to point out a few "things" to them, but we did work it out).

STEVE (make mine Larson)