• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone buy from Joe Koch? Kochcom on ebay

24 posts in this topic

Anyone buy from him? I'm wondering how his grading is. He also get a fair number of neg feedback. That always concerns me.

Any good of bad experiences?

As Mutantkeys said, his books are primarily warehouse copies. He tends to grade them at "VF/NM uncirculated," which in my experience, can grade out anywhere between 8.0 and 9.6, with most of them in the 9.0/9.2 range. His service is generally good, although I did have one problem with an order a couple years ago. It took a while to resolve, but I think that's because they were a little disorganized at the time. They are not crooks though when it comes to dealing with customers on ebay.

...in my experience, can grade out anywhere between 8.0 and 9.6, with most of them in the 9.0/9.2 range.

That was my experience as well. In fact, Scott was the one who originally turned me on to his eBay store. The first books I bought were awesome 9.2's and 9.4's - subsequent purchases were more sobering. They shipped all of my orders media mail, but they arrived in a reasonable amount time and were well packaged.

I would not hesitate to purchase from him with those expectations in mind.

I got a mixed up order (ie. missing books) from him, and the books arrived in a mail bag. Seriously. A stack of comics in a mail bag with no extra protection. He fixed it all, but it took 2 or 3 attempts.

R.

A lot of orders get messed up and sometimes you don't get the grade of the book you ordered, but he is VERY good about fixing these things, so honestly, no complaints here. He seems nice via e-mail. People leave negs because they get something they're unhappy with and don't bother e-mailing to get the problem fixed because they assume it won't get fixed a la a typical ebay transaction. Jumping the gun a bit because he does fix the mistakes and usually you're better off after he's fixed them. I suspect he or his staff don't closely inspect stuff prior to packing, so mistakes happen. Perhaps the lighting isn't good in the avalanche of wonder. Remember, when you order a book he probably has 20 - 200 copies of it.

years ago I bought some Warlock's and other BA marvels from their warehouse. Nice structural condition in general but page quality was not as good.

Seemed professional and easy to deal with.

I ordered a few times with him, and was satisfied with the first 3-4 transactions, but the last one was just horrible. Water-stained books, G-VG tattered copies, when I bought the same "VF/NM uncirculated" as before.

I emailed him 5+ times with NO REPLY, and that was the last time I ever ordered from him. I'll never go back after that.

I bought a half dozen Bronze books advertised as "VF/NM", of which I kept only one. (They were shipped loose, without backing boards, in a regular yellow envelope.)

The rest were Fines to F/VFs with very dark interiors. Returns were a nightmare, and took nearly a month to resolve ("We already refunded you.", "uh, no you didn't.", "Oh, okay we'll get back to you...")

I'm glad the rest of you have had passable experiences with the guy, but I wouldn't do business with him again under any circumstances. His grading, packing, and customer service get a huge F from me.

I've bought a couple times from him. They were positive experiences if I remember correctly. I've never seen one of his auctions that actualy had a picture of the item - he sells a ton of stuff and probably can't get around to it. Nothing I bought was very pricey so the lack of a photo didn't matter. He always throws in freebies too.

Anyone buy from him? I'm wondering how his grading is. He also get a fair number of neg feedback. That always concerns me.

Any good of bad experiences?

As Mutantkeys said, his books are primarily warehouse copies. He tends to grade them at "VF/NM uncirculated," which in my experience, can grade out anywhere between 8.0 and 9.6, with most of them in the 9.0/9.2 range. His service is generally good, although I did have one problem with an order a couple years ago. It took a while to resolve, but I think that's because they were a little disorganized at the time. They are not crooks though when it comes to dealing with customers on ebay.

Ditto!

I've bought bronze books from him(seems to be his warehouse specialty) three times. First two orders of "VF/NM uncirculated" were very nice, but the third one came in as weak VFs. That was over 6 months ago and haven't look at his auctions since. Sounds like he got in a rut...or maybe the best of the warehouse books are gone and he steped down to the next level of books. confused-smiley-013.gif