• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1990 News story on comic collecting...

100 posts in this topic

Found this on You Tube. Not sure if its ever been posted. I've never seen it posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E0jZZB2TjE

Its always interesting to see sentiment from years past, and to look at where we are now. Its weird because the comic industry has gone through an entire cycle since then. That was just before the high point in the industry, before the bubble burst for many of those comic shops that they mentioned in the video tonofbricks.gif Its funny that they spotlight the movies too. The time of that video seems very synonymous to where we are now. Lets just hope we don't burst in the near future 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anyone know which Action #1, Tec #27 and Cap #1 that is? The Cap #1 can't be the D copy since the video is a year prior to its "discovery. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Its funny that they spotlight the movies too. The time of that video seems very synonymous to where we are now. Lets just hope we don't burst in the near future

Some people never learn, and will follow the same patterns time and time again. tonofbricks.gif

Just look at the number of forum members who miraculously "came back to comics" in the last 4-6 years. Where were they before, dead? foreheadslap.gif

Highlighting that Cap movie was great.

Anyway, some of those folks comparing back issues to blue chip stocks probably had a heart attack when dealers were offering Valiants (the dot coms) for blue chips hand over fist. Then the market in 97, 98 and 99 looked like it was really going in the tank -- and then (let's face it) CGC completely brought life to the back issue market generally.

and then (let's face it) CGC completely brought life to the back issue market generally.

Personally, I think it was more EBay than CGC. One helped the other, but without a vibrant online market, CGC would never have been considered as a viable business opportunity.

Yeah, I agree -- though I think the insanity on prices really began with CGC. No CGC -- and I think prices would have stabilized and in some ways in might even run down a lot of the bulk even quicker. This way there's still a market for ROM 17 9.8 -- "the best existing copy".

Whatever.

But yes, ebay might be an even bigger influence in people trying to seek out those old books again.

Anyway, some of those folks comparing back issues to blue chip stocks probably had a heart attack when dealers were offering Valiants (the dot coms) for blue chips hand over fist. Then the market in 97, 98 and 99 looked like it was really going in the tank -- and then (let's face it) CGC completely brought life to the back issue market generally.

27_laughing.gif

Don't you get it? CGC merely extended the lifecyle & in the process upped the stakes.

History will repeat itself once again...only this time people will be losing their houses rather than just their shirts.

27_laughing.gif

Don't you get it? CGC merely extended the lifecyle & in the process upped the stakes.

History will repeat itself once again...only this time people will be losing their houses rather than just their shirts.

Let's hope not. But then again, I've got about as much faith as apparently you have in people to not be that stupid.

That's EXACTLY it, and as we've found out in other collectible fields, slabbing is the final leg of the journey and there is no Plan B once the plastic melts down.

But I do not expect anyone to listen to reason - otherwise we'd never had booms and busts. So just keep on spending. yay.gif

Just look at the number of forum members who miraculously "came back to comics" in the last 4-6 years. Where were they before, dead? foreheadslap.gif

gossip.gif I had never heard of CGC until after I came back from the dead. And, my first comic book purchase from Ebay came 6 years after I joined Ebay.

I was brought back to life by a five year old, not CGC and not Ebay. Read a comic to a kid and you'll understand.

Hey Steve Fishler -- you gonna put some boards behind those Tec 27s and Action 1s 27_laughing.gif!

That was the first thing that popped into my mind...an experienced collector was handling Cap #1, Action #1 and Tec #27 as if he were some rube off the street that had no clue what he was holding. And did you see the way he was stuffing them (unboarded) into that longbox?? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Seeing behavior like that just adds to my ongoing amazement that there are ANY high grade copies of ANY comic from the Silver Age and older...

Oh yeah, and I love Mary's big hair and huge shoulder-pads... cloud9.gif

whatever, did JC take over your account Beyonder?

They might be losing their houses, but not because of comics, it's because they're *spoon* who believe that you can get a $500K mortgage for only $1200 a month and that payment is going to stay the same for 30 years.

For my $500K mortgage I'm facing reality and getting a fixed rater. No tickler rates for me. I might need to drive a cab at night to afford the darn thing....

Read a comic to a kid and you'll understand.

Try to read a CGC slab to a kid and you'll *really* understand.

I have never bought a slabbed book that I didn't "bust" out...that includes a 9.6. I think there are others that do the same.

Absolutly the right choice! Dont be a teaser rate fool like everyone else.

That bomb will hit next year in a full blown recession.

Another reason for a comming recession isnt just high oil prices.

High oil prices raise the prices of everything else.When oil prices fall everything else still stays high and companies use that as an excuse to raise there margins.

Less demand will drop prices eventually.Believe it or not a recession is actually a healthy part of the economic process.Levels the field in the long run.

Hey Steve Fishler -- you gonna put some boards behind those Tec 27s and Action 1s 27_laughing.gif!

That was the first thing that popped into my mind...an experienced collector was handling Cap #1, Action #1 and Tec #27 as if he were some rube off the street that had no clue what he was holding. And did you see the way he was stuffing them (unboarded) into that longbox?? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Seeing behavior like that just adds to my ongoing amazement that there are ANY high grade copies of ANY comic from the Silver Age and older...

Oh yeah, and I love Mary's big hair and huge shoulder-pads... cloud9.gif

Who is that[kid] Holding the Tec 27?

27_laughing.gif

How many people are taking out seconds to buy comics...really? I have a budget for comics, I spend it but still save money etc. If the comics market ever tanks, it just means I will be able to buy more comics even cheaper.