• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

let's see yesteryears prices....post old Golden Age "for sale" ads !

48 posts in this topic

Hey all-

Haven't posted in a while, but I thought I could add something fun to this thread:

insidesf_ad01.jpg

insidesf_ad02.jpg

These ads are from respectively the November 1955 and January 1956 issues of Inside & Science Fiction Advertiser, a SF fan/adzine put together by, among others, Lin Carter. These are some the earliest "back issue" ads that I've ever seen (though I know there are earlier Pop Hollinger ads out there). Really cool to see evidence of how quickly a collector's market developed for ECs. Very scary to see that you could once buy a "MINT" collection of Adventure 1-122 for $40 or All-American 1-51 for $15.

Fascinating dmgcsr - thanks for posting that.

Wasn't Malcolm Willits one of the guys later associated with Cherokee Bookshop in Hollywood? I went there in my early days of collecting (circa 1980) and they had tons of great GA books.

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

Wasn't Malcolm Willits one of the guys later associated with Cherokee Bookshop in Hollywood? I went there in my early days of collecting (circa 1980) and they had tons of great GA books.

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

Not sure about Cherokee, but from what I can tell from a little Google searching, he owns The Collectors Bookstore

That's what I meant...Cherokee was another (smaller) book shop down in that vicinity that used to have old comics.

A memorable moment occurred for me at Collectors long ago when they had 3 books in their back showcase that I really wanted: a NM Action 14, a NM Human Torch 31, and a VF+ Action 37. All the books had white pages, too.

I could only afford either the earlier Action or the later Action plus the Torch. Being young, naive, and stupid, I chose two books over the one. Later sold the Torch, but I still thankfully have the Action 37.

I still often wonder where that Action 14 ended up....

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

Here's an old Robert Bell ad that fell out of an old 70's comic I was reading/grading (Astonishing Tales 26 BTW) I like surprises like that.

From the price guide for sale, this looks to be from 1973.

Front and Back

I wonder where that Batman 1 ended up and if it was unrestored or not.

ad1.jpg

ad2.jpg

ad1.jpg

Wow, I got my VG+ Buck Rogers 3 & 5 recently for not much more than those prices. Not a very good return on your investment if you got those in 1973 - far less than devaluation of the dollar - ouch! 893whatthe.gif

I guess I'm not much of a speculator. Considering the stuff I collect like Buck Rogers, Tarzan, Flash Gordon, John Carter, etc. I must be about 30 or 40 years behind the times when it comes to what's hot in the GA market, but I don't care - I dig my books! insane.gif