• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1976 commercial for the Megos superhero dolls

36 posts in this topic

Courtesy of youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg60-VGSCPQ

Funniest line in the commercial is about The Falcon. Boy would they get in trouble today for running this commercial! 27_laughing.gif

And someone wasn't quite up on what powers Mr. Fantastic has. 27_laughing.gif

And check out Conan's afro! 27_laughing.gif

I don't remember this commercial, but I turned 5 years old in 1976. Anyone remember it?

What I noticed out of this is that it always seemed rather "ghetto" to me for people to pronounce Aquaman as "Ack-wa-man" like they do in this commercial rather than "Ock-wa-man".

I mean... I grew up learing the color "aqua" as "Ock-wa" (or more techincally as "ah-kwua") not "Ack-wa".

Granted I know that both are correct but "ack" just sounds very "Boston" to me wink.gif

That is too freakin' funny.

1976 was probably one of my peak TV watching years, and I don't remember this commercial at all. I'd guess this is actually a trade film. Regardless, knowing what the licensing world is like now, I can't believe something like this could even get produced back then.

And, "Ock-Wa"? You're kidding, right? I never heard any pronunciation other "Ack-Wa", even on the old 1960's cartoons.

Luv the Megos...

What those guys do with Megos in Twisted Toyfare is funny as heck. My favorite? When Hulk, Spider-Man, Conan and Thor go for a ride and end up in the Smurfs village.

Spidey (to Smurfette): "So you're like the only girl among 100 guys?"

Smurfette: "And I'll be your only girl for $20...."

One panel later..

Spidey: "$20, huh?"