• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

low grade books for SS ?

11 posts in this topic

to start off i like collecting old well read books.

i have an ASM 69 that would grade out at about a 3.0 or 3.5 and a copy of ASM 87 that would grade at a 4.0 or 5.0 that i want to send out for a romita SR SS. i was thinking that i dont want to wast the money to turn $5 or $8 dollar books into $15 or $20 dollar books. do you think its worth the time and money on the low grade older books for SS.

here is what i like about older items that are well worn but still look nice signed. it is a triple signed card from my 1959 topps set, that would grade out at a 5.0 or 6.0 on a dood day. i'm just looking for pros and cons for the older books i have and would like to get signed.

supertriple.jpg

I am wierd but I don't want anybook that is graded below 7.0 in my SS collection. I prefer not having books below 9.0 but sometimes things happen and there is a defect you didn't see or in the case of golden and silver age artist you may not be able to afford a high grade book they worked on. For example my ayers book graded a 7.0 it is a classic Sgt. Fury cover so I am OK with it. My charles vess book got a 7.5 because I didn't check the back spine well and there was a major defect on it. I am getting a book to be signed by Lily Renee at San Deigo this coming year. Unfortunately she worked on fiction house books which I love but they are scarce and expensive in grades above 8.0 so I am looking spend around 300 to 500 on a copy of Planet in 7.0 Now some people would say I am crazy to spend this kind of money on a book to get signed but this is the first con she has ever attended and at her age it will probably be her last. I say if you want a book signed by romita for SS get a newer one in high grade. But if you just want to be crazy and aren't worried about the value of your item get what ever you want graded.

I am wierd but I don't want anybook that is graded below 7.0 in my SS collection. I prefer not having books below 9.0 but sometimes things happen and there is a defect you didn't see or in the case of golden and silver age artist you may not be able to afford a high grade book they worked on. For example my ayers book graded a 7.0 it is a classic Sgt. Fury cover so I am OK with it. My charles vess book got a 7.5 because I didn't check the back spine well and there was a major defect on it. I am getting a book to be signed by Lily Renee at San Deigo this coming year. Unfortunately she worked on fiction house books which I love but they are scarce and expensive in grades above 8.0 so I am looking spend around 300 to 500 on a copy of Planet in 7.0 Now some people would say I am crazy to spend this kind of money on a book to get signed but this is the first con she has ever attended and at her age it will probably be her last. I say if you want a book signed by romita for SS get a newer one in high grade. But if you just want to be crazy and aren't worried about the value of your item get what ever you want graded.

What is this San Deigo that you speak of? Did you have a book signed in San Diego?

Don't throw stones next time, Kris.

What is this San Deigo that you speak of? Did you have a book signed in San Diego?

Don't throw stones next time, Kris.

gossip.gif he spelled weird wrong too

you spelled 'arse' wrong hi.gif

not where I come from...... hi.gif

and as your today is our yesterday then we will alwys be ahead of you..........

Deliberate misspelling so that others will join the thread............ makepoint.gif