• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Resub Success Rate? (Remember to particpate in the Poll too)
1 1

60 posts in this topic

Today I received my newly upgraded... Hulk 180 CGC 9.6... back from CGC. acclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

It was a very harshly graded 9.4 previously and when I checked the grades at CGC, one grader gave it a 9.6 the first time... over a year ago. Having had the opportunity to scrutinize it against quite a few other 9.4's, 9.6's and 9.8's I was very confident that it had serious 9.8 potential as it looked better than all the 9.6's I've ever owned and equivalent in my mind with the 9.8's, so resubbing it was a "no-brainer". I'm usually in agreement with the CGC grade a good deal of the time, or within .2... so on books that I feel were maybe graded a little tougher, I'm content to just keep the books as a "strong whatever grade it is" without resubbing. However, when I felt sure I was right on a big book, or when there is potential for a 2 grade difference... I've went for it... 3 whole times 27_laughing.gif

I'm now 2 for 3 on books I resubbed directly... 66%

Hulk 181 9.2 to 9.4 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hulk 180 9.0 to 9.0 boo.gif

Hulk 180 9.4 to 9.6 893applaud-thumb.gif

I wondered what everyone else's "success/failure rate" was?

Please feel free to itemize the results.

0 for 1 for me. A hulk 180 9.0 still came back a 9.0. Is that 9.0 a different one?

I knew I'd hear from you Michael... yes, its the same comic! I think I even mentioned to you that I tried resubbing it once before I sold it to you and paid for you to resub it again. I thought maybe the 2nd time was the charm. I still think that was a 9.2 judging from the other 9.0 and 9.2's I owned, but 3X they gave it a 9.0... so CGC was consistent. We have to give them props for that.

I think that AA 11 9.4 is an excellent candidate... don't you? That was way sweeeeeeet for a 9.4!

cast your vote Michael!

I've actually had a resub (not a reholdering) return lower!!!

This will NEVER happen!! As long as the CGC TRIBUTE continues to be paid, there is NO WAY a fully-paid-up re-re-re-submission will EVER go down in grade. Only UP!!! Break open those slabs! You must PAY for the grade you want!!! I have SEEN the PROMISED LAND, I tell you...

::slap:: boo.gif

oops. sorry. thought this was the Hammer tribute thread. flamed.gif

I think that AA 11 9.4 is an excellent candidate... don't you? That was way sweeeeeeet for a 9.4!

Yes, that AA11 9.4 I got from you looks really really nice. I might just take a chance and see if I can get a 9.6. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'm going to call and see if any of the graders gave it a 9.6. Most happy with that book. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I've actually had a resub (not a reholdering) return lower!!!

This will NEVER happen!! As long as the CGC TRIBUTE continues to be paid, there is NO WAY a fully-paid-up re-re-re-submission will EVER go down in grade. Only UP!!! Break open those slabs! You must PAY for the grade you want!!! I have SEEN the PROMISED LAND, I tell you...

::slap:: boo.gif

oops. sorry. thought this was the Hammer tribute thread. flamed.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif... actually Zonker, I know a couple guys that resub a decent amount and have had the grade go lower!... boy were they pissed, but overall they have an over 30% success rate

Also.. someone on the poll seems to have had that experience too!

Ive resubmitted 2 A X men 94 CGC 9.2 off white pages and came back a 9.2 cream to off white pages Along with that book I sent in a Hulk 181 CGC 8.0 came back a 9.0 so I am at a 50 percent ratio on books that I felt sure of.

Davidking623

Others on the forum have addressed this in more detail.. a search may be helpful

I believe inserting a flathead screwdriver in the crack near the posts and turning pops them. Removing the book from the "inner well" is touchy.. you have to be very careful. I used an exacto blade the first 2 times but found it a bit nerve-wracking. The raw book is also more vulnerable in the "ship back to CGC" process.

This last time, I just sent the slab in "as is". Firstly, you get a resubmit discount by returning the label... which also helps maintain "census accuracy" and Secondly, I simply trust CGC and that the described process of resubmission does not allow for the graders to know that the book is a resubmission, much more what the previous grade was. My freshly returned 9.6 upgrade supports that I think. As I understand it, other CGC employees remove the book from the slab/well before the graders see it. I also feel more comfortable this way as I have to assume since they open so many, they can do it safer than I can. From here on in... I'm just sending resubs in "as is" for those reasons.

Very helpful, interesting, thanks. I've had somewhat of a tough time getting open the outer case, but its that inner plastic that really freaks me out.

Ive resubmitted 2 A X men 94 CGC 9.2 off white pages and came back a 9.2 cream to off white pages Along with that book I sent in a Hulk 181 CGC 8.0 came back a 9.0 so I am at a 50 percent ratio on books that I felt sure of.

Davidking623

This is very interesting... I wonder how often this particular jump in grade occurs on resubs that begin as CGC 8.0 ...? If this is at all commonplace, it would seem to point to the fact that even in CGC's eyes, the difference between 8.0 and 9.0 is pretty minimal.

I can understand a 9.2 jumping to 9.4, or 9.4 to 9.6... but 8.0 to 9.0 ? That seems more dramatic, even though I realize there's no 8.5 that CGC could award the book in question smile.gif

Another, related question...

Say the 'average' resub 'success rate' - meaning a jump in grade of at least .2 after resubmission - is 33%.

Is a 33% 'success rate' sufficient to warrant the cost of resubbing? Let's say you resubmit three books, and they're all 9.2s initially. One of them comes back a 9.4, the other two are graded 9.2 again. To what extent is this sufficient to justify the resubbing? If the books in question are all Hulk 181s, the answer is obvious. But if the books in question are Daredevil 127 or ASM 110, would the jump of .2 on one book more than make up for the ~$120 you're paying for resub (with insurance and shipping costs factored in) ??

in CGC's eyes, the difference between 8.0 and 9.0 is pretty minimal.

I have 8.0's and 9.0's and there is a much larger difference in those grades than a 9.4 to a 9.6. I'm surprised they were so far off.

I realize there's no 8.5 that CGC could award the book

No. Bruce is right, there is an 8.5 grade. VF+

Chris

8.5 = VF+ ?

I don't see too many lower graded books, by I'm fairly positve an 8.5 exists.

"fairly positive" an 8.5 exists?

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif Why I oughtta...you young whippersnapper Bronze/Modern collectors and your fancy-shmancy "commonly and comparatively cheaply available in 9.8" supply of comics tick me off. 893frustrated.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif

I am...

1 out of 4

ASM 122 CGC 9.2 came back a CGC 9.2

ASM 150 CGC Modern 9.4 (this was one of their earlier grades where they were just ridiculously tough on these books) came back a 9.8

Captain America 106 CGC 9.4 came back a CGC 9.4

Hulk 181 CGC 9.4 came back a CGC 9.4

Brian

8.5 = VF+ ?

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif Why I oughtta...you young whippersnapper Bronze/Modern collectors and your fancy-shmancy "commonly and comparatively cheaply available in 9.8" supply of comics tick me off. 893frustrated.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif

I was trying to be polite... no need to slam the guy.

I'm sorry I've only handled a few books below CGC 9.0... even SA tongue.gif

8.5 = VF+ ?

......I didn't know it was possible not to know that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think Bruce blocks out Sub 9.2 books the way a child will repress memories of abuse. grin.gif27_laughing.gif