• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

overpriced firsr appearances

124 posts in this topic

Green Lantern (SA) 40 - First Crisis. Is it really that significant?

Could not agree more.

I think part of the reason this book has maintained it's value is that to a SA DC collector, it's just a damn cool cover.

It`s a great cover, AND it`s an important development in the history of the DC universe. But I don`t think the cover is so great, or the development so important, to justify the massive premium for this issue.

First meeting of the Silver Age and Golden Age Green Lanterns? Origin of the Guardians?

Could not agree more.

I think part of the reason this book has maintained it's value is that to a SA DC collector, it's just a damn cool cover.

It`s a great cover, AND it`s an important development in the history of the DC universe. But I don`t think the cover is so great, or the development so important, to justify the massive premium for this issue.

First meeting of the Silver Age and Golden Age Green Lanterns? Origin of the Guardians?

Nah, they actually first met in JLA #21-22. The origin of the Guardians became more important once they ret-conned the Monitor/Anti-Monitor from Crisis on Infinite Earths into it.

Much more important than #59, I think. But then again, I think #87 (John Stewart) ought to be more important than #59! tongue.gif

I think when it comes to the Punisher we are talking about a quantity (just from a character perspective not issues involving compared rarity etc) that is much greater than the Beast with fur, Sabertooth, Cloak and Dagger, Firelord or other characters who have never sniffed even B-List rankings as character, when it can be argued that Punisher is at the very least a permanent B-List character who for a brief time was A-list Marvel character with multiple titles featuring him (Punsher, Punisher War Journal, Punisher War Zone) and a semi-frequent guest in flagshig titles (Spiderman, Cap, Daredevil etc) - not to mention a couple of movies (one of which was pretty good IMHO).

Now, I think his book has been going for absurd prices in high grade but my opinion isn't due to the line of thinking Punisher is quite as irrelevant as some first appearances that seem to draw crazy premiums as well.

Could not agree more.

Nah, they actually first met in JLA #21-22.

foreheadslap.gif I guess I shoulda said: "1st team-up with both Green Lanterns?"

Green Lantern (SA) 59 - Do we really care about Guy Gardner anymore?

no- did we ever? i agree with this one.

I agree with this, too. This is one of the few remaining issues I need for my full run of GL, and I've had trouble even finding an affordable reader copy.

I've never understood why it's so expensive. What do people know about Gardener besides that stupid bowlcut of his, and the fact that his big fight with Batman lasted one punch (and he was on the receiving end)?

I guess all collectors are different. I am a huge TOD fan so TOD#10 has always been high on my list. Same with WWBN#32.

I always thought Incredible hulk 181, ASM 129 and 300 was overpriced. Collectors say otherwise, I guess all collectibles are really worth what someone is stupid enough to pay for it.

As for Albedo #2 (someone mentioned) I still think its underpriced. Only 2000 printed and most of them are far from high grade due to the dark cover. Tough to find first app of Usagi Yojimbo, he has a huge following. Its one on the best written and illustrated comics over the past 10 years. TMNT falls in the same category. I think both of these benefit most from having such low print runs and being independent comics.

hello all, new here so please dont shoot me if this has been asked before. im just curious as to which first appearances you feel are insanely overpriced, and vice versa, underpriced?

tomb of dracula #10, overstreet $175.00 blade? who cares?????

werewolf by night #32, overstreet $125.00??? moonknight, who cares??

were these characters ever popular??

ASM 129
I actually agree with this. Punisher had a great run, but seriously who gives a rats @ss about him today.

ASM 129 is probably my favorite BA Marvel. Cool characters, cool cover, and, for once, a good story.

Yeah those rubber "mercy" bullets were awesome. Now the Marvel Preview version was pretty cool

Green Lantern (SA) 59 - Do we really care about Guy Gardner anymore?

no- did we ever? i agree with this one.

I agree with this, too. This is one of the few remaining issues I need for my full run of GL, and I've had trouble even finding an affordable reader copy.

I've never understood why it's so expensive. What do people know about Gardener besides that stupid bowlcut of his, and the fact that his big fight with Batman lasted one punch (and he was on the receiving end)?

And isn't GL # 59 an Imaginary story?

ASM 300

And yet you have bought 10 slabbed copies... gossip.gif

yay.gif

Only joking. Well i think the 9.8's are insanely overpriced but then so are most 9.8's.

One book i do think is overpriced and overrated is ASM 136. I mean who cares who is behind the mask, Green Goblin must have appeared 50 times before that and furthermore Harry is dead. It's not like the first appearance of the current Venom II or Ultron 4 or whatever are worth anything.

And isn't GL # 59 an Imaginary story?

No idea. I've never owned it or read it. Can anyone who has answer this one?

The framing story is the Guardians showing Hal what would would have happened if Abin Sur (?) had picked Guy as a replacement instead. The last 2 pages have Hal going to meet the real Guy to see what he's like in person.

Yeah those rubber "mercy" bullets were awesome.

I don't think he had those until later on, at least ASM 161-162 or 175-176, and he always used the real thing til that point. Check out GS Spidey #4 to see Punny chocking up a serious body count.

IM 55 -- who actually care about Thanos any more?

I do. I think he is one of the best comic villians of all time. Actually, who wants to sell my a high grade IM 55 for around book price?

me too, I still need a decent raw copy. flowerred.gif