• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off Topic :: Part Two :: Chess Anyone?

60 posts in this topic

Enpasse means that if the opponent's pawn takes 2 steps forward from the home row to try to 893naughty-thumb.gifavoid being gobbled up by your pawn already on the 5th row counting from your side of the board, u can say enpasse to "kill" the opposing pawn.

I still haven't won a single game

ROFL. Hey Brian, I know what you mean.

Its funny; the last few games I've played (deep), Al has been VERY aggressive. The last two games, we were down to two kings, a bishop for me, and a rook for him. I managed to get him down to just his king both game, but couldn't put him in checkmate!

Its almost as if Al's getting pissed at all the 5 move wins from everyone else, and is batten down the hatches everytime I decide to play him. 27_laughing.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyone want to set aside a time for a Yahoo Comic boards chess tourney?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in. Anyone else?

I'd be in.. what do we need to do to join in comicsheet?

For anyone that's interested, here's a great website for playing a lot of the old classic games.

There are some good players that hang out in there and you can play: Chess, Checkers, Backgammon, Reversi, Four-In-A-Row (like Connect 4 but on a bigger board), Sea Battle (like Battleship), Think Ahead, Match Up, Word Rush, and Halloween Chess (like regular chess but with a Halloween theme).

You simply enter your name, click "continue".....and then choose the game you want to play. You can then wait for another player to challenge you to play the game you've selected.

Or, you can challenge another player to play whatever game they have picked out. The "challenger" will always be forced to play whatever game the "challengee" has chosen.

There is a description and "help" available for each game at the bottom of the screen where you choose which game you want to play.

Quote:

I'm in. Anyone else?

My son got on the yahoo game boards once. He showed me how to do it, but I've forgotten how. I'll ask him when he finishes mowing the lawn. I'm not sure if you can reserve a game for 2 particular players, or if you have to take on all comers. I do know you can watch other games in progress. I don't know if you can kibitz with the players while they are playing.

Anyone have any experience with how to use the Yahoo site? Maybe we could do a Sunday afternoon 30/30 tournament? I think the post above this one mentions another gaming website. I'll check that one out.

I was a USCF tournament director for a few small tournaments back in the 70's. I think I'm still accredited (I'd have to check though - been a long time). Bought a lifetime USCF membership back in 74. Been getting their magazine for nearly thirty years. Will get it for the rest of my life.

Quote:

I'm in. Anyone else?

My son got on the yahoo game boards once. He showed me how to do it, but I've forgotten how. I'll ask him when he finishes mowing the lawn. I'm not sure if you can reserve a game for 2 particular players, or if you have to take on all comers. I do know you can watch other games in progress. I don't know if you can kibitz with the players while they are playing.

Anyone have any experience with how to use the Yahoo site? Maybe we could do a Sunday afternoon 30/30 tournament? I think the post above this one mentions another gaming website. I'll check that one out.

I was a USCF tournament director for a few small tournaments back in the 70's. I think I'm still accredited (I'd have to check though - been a long time). Bought a lifetime USCF membership back in 74. Been getting their magazine for nearly thirty years. Will get it for the rest of my life.

You need to sign in/register with Yahoo. Very easy, name, email, password. Download Yahoo Chess.....takes 2 secs & you're in. Public or private tables can be set up. Other people can chat/watch while the game is in progress. I think we should have timed games (15 min?). Untimed games can take hours & can allow for cheating. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Quote:

I'm in. Anyone else?

You need to sign in/register with Yahoo. Very easy, name, email, password. Download Yahoo Chess.....takes 2 secs & you're in. Public or private tables can be set up. Other people can chat/watch while the game is in progress. I think we should have timed games (15 min?). Untimed games can take hours & can allow for cheating. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I'm trying it right now. I'm playing a game on Yahoo. I think a timed game of about 15 minutes would be right. Do we have any Yahoo Game All-Star members? They can set up their own tournaments. Don't know if everyone would have to be an All-Star member to join the tournament.

Anyone interested in kibitzing, I'm in room 'Squirrel Square - Table 7'. Got a so-so position. At a guess I would say the game will last an hour.

Its funny; the last few games I've played (deep), Al has been VERY aggressive. The last two games, we were down to two kings, a bishop for me, and a rook for him. I managed to get him down to just his king both game, but couldn't put him in checkmate!

the program has a hole in it. the game should be ended in a draw automatically - you CANNOT checkmate with only a king and a bishop (or a king and a knight, for that matter).

the program has a hole in it. the game should be ended in a draw automatically - you CANNOT checkmate with only a king and a bishop (or a king and a knight, for that matter).

Actually, I got the pieces reversed; I had the rook. I think the game uses the 50 move rule.