• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top TEN Good Girl

46 posts in this topic

Does Reform School Girls count as GGA - I'd say no and same with any photo cover. GGA >< Cheesecake.

I think we had this "do bad girls count too?" discussion a while ago, maybe someone can find the thread. Anyway, good call, Reform School Girls if eligible would give PL17 a run for its money as most valuable- whenver listed there is a feeding frenzy.

I started a thread a long time ago asking whether the "good" in GGA modifies "girl" or modifies "art." If it's good-girl art, then the girl has to be a hero. If it's good girl-art, then it doesn't matter whether or not the girl is a hero or a villian.

In general, I think the good modifies both to an extent, art that is well-drawn featuring heroic women.

I'd say Archies could fall in the genre but the image would have to be strikingly GGA like Archie 50.

Archie 23, 35, 44...?

dunno how "GG" 35 would be, but it's got...a quality 893whatthe.gif

Yack yack yack. How about an actual list to get things going ???

Air Fighters v2 #2 (Valkrye)

All Top 16

Amazing Adventures (ZD) 2

Black Cat 6

Blue Beetle 48, 54

Brenda Starr 14

Corliss Archer 3

Dagar Desert Hawk 15, 23

Exciting 58 (the rhino cover), 59, 63

Jann of the Jungle 1

Jo-Jo Congo King 21

Jumbo every copy from 20 to 160

Jungle Comics every copy from 7 to 158

Junior 11 (ice skating), 14

Mopsy 1

Phantom Lady 17, 23

Rangers Comics 26

Reform School Girl nn

Rulah, Jungle Goddess 19, 26

Saint, The 1

Seven Seas 4

Slave Girl 1

Startling Comics 47, 48, 49, 50, 53

Strange Worlds 4

Sunny 11

Thrilling 58, 60, 62, 64

Torchy 4, 5

Wings Comics 89

Wonder Comics 13

Venus 1

Zago 4

Zegra Jungle Empress 4

Zoot every issue from 8 to 16

Some books like Brenda Starr #14, Junior Comics #14, etc. are grossly undervalued in the OS guide, but we have to start with something. Perhaps a list like this would increase these book's values in the guide because someone will say there is no way that this book should be in the top 10, but not the other one.

Please don't drive up the prices of great GGA books until I've had a chance to purchase a copy for my collection!

Hopefully, some more will come to the market soon. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Since you asked for a top ten base purely on valuation like in the OPG, I assume you mean listed by OPG value as opposed to FMV. Since i had a little time and never need much of an excuse to peruse GGA covers, I got out my Gerbers and my '06 OPG started making a list. I may have forgotten some and there may be some dispute over whether or not something is GGA (e.g. Jungle 1 and Planet 2 might be"damsel in distress" instead), but here is what I came up with:

1. Phantom Lady 17 9100

2. Jungle Comics 1 7500

3. Planet Comics 2 6800

4. Phantom Lady 13(1) 6600

5. Startling 49 5800

6. Planet Comics 15 4300

7. All-Select 11 3650

8. Sheena 1 3600

9. All-Top 8 3500

10. Phantom Lady 14 3450

(tie)Phantom Lady 15 3450

(tie)Phantom Lady 16 3450

13. Strange Worlds 3 2900

14. Planet Comics 8 2825

(tie)Planet Comics 10 2825

(tie)Planet Comics 11 2825

17. Phantom Lady 18 2400

(tie)Phantom Lady 19 2400

19. Blonde Phantom 12 2250

20. Phantom Lady 23 2100

(tie)Torchy 1 2100

The first thing that jumps out is that PL 23 is way down at number 20, tied with Torchy 1. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it's one of the examples where for some reason OS has not broken out the issues and continues to group them. They did that with Startling 49 for years, I asume that's changed given your list. Not surprising PL dominates most spots.

The first thing that jumps out is that PL 23 is way down at number 20, tied with Torchy 1. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it's one of the examples where for some reason OS has not broken out the issues and continues to group them. They did that with Startling 49 for years, I asume that's changed given your list. Not surprising PL dominates most spots.

Not separating out key covers from group listings is definately one my biggest pet peeves with Overstreet (although there are many others). In fairness though, they do have PL 23 separated out with a "bondage-c" notation, and I've noticed they've been getting better about it over the last couple of years, here and there anyway.

Wow, Theogenes ... great work ... I just got back to check on this thread ... with your legwork ... I'll get out my Gerber tonight ... and see how it goes ... maybe others will notice a missing title ... but this is exactly what I was talking about ... what would a list of Good Girl Covers look like in Overstreet ... if they were to include it ... and they should ... no one has taken on the similar task for Damsal in Distress as a category .... but without a doubt it is the extreme danger to a sexy babe that ignites the value of many Cap America, Marvel Mystery books and the like....

It's interesting that Overstreet includes westerns, but not Good Girl ... and they should ... heck Overstreet Annual gave the GGA the cover ... why not begin to track the top ten ... or top twenty ... I'd check that every year ...

Also ... any comment why the Overstreet ... does not include Planet 1 as the most expensive Sci Fi ... check out the category in your Overstreet...it's beat out by Mystery In Space 1 ... what a load of ....

Now back to the GGA ... not talking market but actual Guide ... who would have ever thought that by value Jungle Comics would be Detective 27 of GGA ...

The queen of the category ... the Action 1 of GGA is Phantom Lady 17 ... but the Detective 27 of GGA is Jungle Comics 1 ... and while I'm drawing a parallel ... Planet Comics #2 is the Marvel Comics #1 of GGA ...

How whack is that?

Also whack is Metropolis picking up the highest graded PL 13 9.0 D Copy from Heritage for below 9.2 ... price ... and even now listing the book at guide 9.2 for 6600

It sort of makes me wonder ... how this noticed and high demand category of comics has still not really taken off in price.

I mean if we are looking at GGA as a category ... as we would Golden Age Heroes ...

then we can parallel....

Action 1 is say PL 17

Detective 27 is Jungle 1

Planet 2 is Marvel Comics 1

PL 13 is Superman 1

Startling 49 is Batman 1

and so on ...

and the prices are stageringly cheap by comparison ... in a way PL 17 is like Action 1 in that it is the King ... errrr ... should I say Queen of it's genre ... now PL 17 will never rival the value of Action 1 as the king of Hero comics ... but know this ... Action 1 even as the King of Comics and it's genre ... can never make the list of top GGA books not now and not ever ...

There is something to be said ... in comics as in stocks to own best of breed ... Gene 1 is without a doubt in it's own right ... equivalent to Action 1 ... and the same is true for say PL 17 and all the other GGA

And if you go on down the list of the top 20 GGA ... it becomes clear how sweet it is to target GGA ... clearly the GGA category is out of whack as publishing a list ... causes any knowledgeable collector to take note in guide (perhaps not in reality), but in Guide Seven Seas 4 doesn't even make the GGA top twenty ...

Without any dispute ... we all know the guides ONLY A GUIDE ... but if we were to have a GGA top 20 ... the market and demand would not exclude Seven Seas 4 ... in fact previous posters in this thread mentioned that very book and perhaps other Seven Seas as well....my point GGA is still under the radar ... way under ... the guide is all out of whack ... it's not a guide ... in truth it is a mis-guide ....

and I submit ... the fine work that comes out of this thread should be included in the guide ... if GGA merits the cover of an Overstreet Annual it's time to include the TOP 20 by value in the guide ... and it is then and at that point the powers that be .... may very well re align the value as it should be ... knowing as a category ... the guide should reflect more clearly if not accurately the top 20 books ....

I don't take issue with PL 17 at the head of the pack ... but I'm going to look over the top 20 ... Heck the Top 20 as a category should include that Wings with the babe using the parachute with the straps on her legs and the dress ... or maybe not ...

I wasn't trying to create a dispute as to what is better or worse ... but to establish the big books by guide ... and as a result we may very well see some books are to big in guide and others are to small by value ...

I rest ... and look forward to more conversation and insights ...

And again Theogenes ....Great Work ... we can moan and groan and debate ... but by Guide these are the TOP TEN ... THE ...that's right ... the OVERSTREET TOP 20 ... GGA comics ... is OVERSTREET a reliable source of info on GGA....hmmmm...

1. Phantom Lady 17 9100

2. Jungle Comics 1 7500

3. Planet Comics 2 6800

4. Phantom Lady 13(1) 6600

5. Startling 49 5800

6. Planet Comics 15 4300

7. All-Select 11 3650

8. Sheena 1 3600

9. All-Top 8 3500

10. Phantom Lady 14 3450

(tie)Phantom Lady 15 3450

(tie)Phantom Lady 16 3450

13. Strange Worlds 3 2900

14. Planet Comics 8 2825

(tie)Planet Comics 10 2825

(tie)Planet Comics 11 2825

17. Phantom Lady 18 2400

(tie)Phantom Lady 19 2400

19. Blonde Phantom 12 2250

20. Phantom Lady 23 2100

(tie)Torchy 1 2100

Wait ... and like I said ... I just got a chance to check in on this thread I started ... really wanting to know the top 20 ... and I said .... tonight I'd check my Gerber and guide ...

but great googly moogly ... Blue Beetle 54 isn't even in the top 20 for value ... what is Overstreet doing ... crack?

If GGA is a category ... and it is I think? ... shouldn't Blue Beetle 54 be in the top 20 ... I'm not saying it's worth a mint ... or that this is my opinion ... I like Blue Beetle 54 ... but shouldn't ...

I'm at a loss for words ... Blue Beetle 52 could well be a damsal in distress ... but Blue Beetle 54 is a GGA icon ...

and yet Overstreet wouldn't even include the Book in a GGA top 20 list by value ... is Overstreet a guide or a mis guide?

Of course to be fair Overstreet doesn't at present include an actual list called Top Twenty Good Girl ... but they should

to promote the category ...

this isn't nitpicky ... some sub category ... like skull covers or flag covers or black covers or white covers or Santa covers or Christmas covers or war covers ...

all those are great categories but I think are still more niche categories ...

Good Girl Art is a major category ... many books artists publishers ...genres ... reflect this category ...

But clearly the hobby for all of it's awareness does not have a good handle on it ... elsewise ... an Overstreet GGA list would include Blue Beetle 54 ... not because I say so ... but because that book does demand big money ... it does go for multiples ... I remember one board member pursued one forever and got PO'd at how much the copy on Comic Link was over guide ... but I digress

This isn't me saying Blue Beetle ought to list higher in guide as it is me ... saying the Guide GGA Top 20 ... should reflect the GGA Top 20 ... and any GGA list ... and I mean any that would leave off Blue Beetle 54 is Whack ...

isn't it????

It's interesting that Overstreet includes westerns, but not Good Girl ... and they should ... heck Overstreet Annual gave the GGA the cover ... why not begin to track the top ten ... or top twenty ... I'd check that every year ...

It probably has something to do with how to define a true GGA book. Westerns are easy... it's not like you look at a Kid Kolt and wonder where it would fall. On the other hand you can look at a Sub-Mariner #26 and wonder if it's just super-hero or if Namora makes it a GGA. If Namora is GGA then is Wonder Woman? What about some of the teen humor books like Frankie? Frankie cover girls certainly aren't the same as Judy of the Jungle from Thrilling Comics or the babe on the Seven Seas covers. People view different books as GGA. Until there is some kind of concensus I think it would be hard to put it into a top ten format in Overstreet.

Oh yeah... and Overstreet is on crack when it comes to pricing GGA anyway.

blackterror, let me try and hit a few of the points you mentioned. First of all, why Planet #1(and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 15 as well) is not on their list is beyond me, unless that is the reason. If they included Planet Comics, they would take up 7 of the 10 spots and that would make for a boring list. confused-smiley-013.gif

That may be the same problem with GGA -- most of the spots are taken up by Planet and PL. That's why things like Blue Beetle 54, Thund'a 1, Rulah, Dagar, Jumbo 13+15, etc. didn't make the cut. It would be interesting to see a top 10 without Planet and PL.

BTW, Jungle 1 and and Planet 2 are highly debatable as true GGA covers. I'm not sure I would include them.

Personally, I tend to define GGA art as WWII (and post-WWII) era pin-up girls in comicbook form. As someone else said earlier, cheesecake does not necessarily equal GGA. I read somewhere once that David T. Alexander is the one who coined the term "GGA" back in the early 70s. I don't know if that's true, but maybe someone should e-mail him and ask him his definitioon of GGA. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif