• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top TEN Good Girl

46 posts in this topic

In the Overstreet there are several pages listing Top Books by value ... top 100 golden age...etc.

It goes so far as to list the top ten westerns and the top ten Sci Fi books...which by they way has House of Mystery or Secrets as #1 ... wouldn't the top Sci Fi book by value be Planet Comics? But I digress...

I personally like those handy dandy little lists ... but have been waiting for the additions of the top 10 good girl and top 10 horror books by value

Working together I'd like to put together those top tens...

by the way ... clearly books like Phantom Lady and Rulah and Zoot and Seven Seas ... are good girl books, but would any Wonder Womans be considered good girl art...also look to hero titles for good girl ... like Black Terror 20 ... which by the way ... is not high enough in value, but that's the point ... good girl art scatters through many titles ... Captain America has some ... I think ...

and while we're at it ... while good girl art is a category ... for another topic all together ... how about damsals in distress covers ...

let me re-iterate ... this is not about coolest covers or overlooked covers ... it is a definitive list of top 10 by value ... and if we would like to come up with the top ten horror or top 10 damsals in distress that is another post ... this one is specifically top ten good girl in value ... heck I'll start the other s after this ...

Anyway ... Here we go with the Good Girl top ten by value in guide ...

#1 is Phantom Lady 17 then what ???

to me, anything with a hot babe is GGA, and there are plenty of Wonder Women covers that qualify (#12 is my favorite).

I'd be more interested in lists that rank GA GGA books regardless of price (although PL17 or 23 might still top that list!)

Also, if you own a copy of a book on the list- post it!

((((to me, anything with a hot base is GGA, and there are plenty of Wonder Women covers that qualify (#12 is my favorite))))).

reply .... I appreciate your thoughts that anything with a hot babe is gga ... but to be fair as a category ... not everyone would consider Wonder Woman to be good girl art in every instance... as she is drawn in a more androgenous manner at time... as it was a comic created specifically to be a ... role model to kids with psychiatric input?.... I think the though was to present a pretty, but toned down female ... that every mom and dad could appreciate in that she didn't totally tittalate the boys ... anyway I agree ... as her early skirt covers are far sexier than her short pants covers ... and every once in a while she is drawn with more figure ... anyway ... not everyone would consider wonderwoman consistantly good girl art ... although she is good and she is a girl ... it's just that gga has more of a sexy tone than wonder woman consistantly has ... I think?

I'd be more interested in lists that rank GA GGA books regardless of price (although PL17 or 23 might still top that list!)

reply ... I appreciate your interest in a rank of the best by this forum ... but this has been done and is not my point ... in Overstreet style ... a value list is definitive to some extent ... even it is not accurate to our varied tastes ... if Overstreet were to list the top ten good girl books by value ... what are they ... this is not an arbitrary process it is matter of research ... and of course along the way we can have fun with the topic and even start another thread ... as you would like where we vote on our favorites etc ... but my point is again very specific what are the top ten by value ...

which is why I listed PL 17 ... it is the top by value ... unless of course someone else might suggest a Wonder Woman book ... but this is where the Wonder Woman as good girl makes no sense ... even though Phantom Lady is ARGUABLY' the king of the genre and priced over 9,000 in guide and is the holy grail of most good girl collectors ... with Wonder Woman as good girl ... Phantom Lady 17 or for that matter 23 would be far down the list as most valuable good girl ... but that is the point of a top ten value list ... we can argue the sense of it ... but it is what it is ...thanks for the quick reply ... now let's research this baby ...

Gene Autry is the #1 Western by Value ... I like Roy ... but Gene is the man in value

What is the top ten good girls in value?

Here's my take on the subject:

Even though I do agree that some Wonder Woman and probably a lot of Timelys have some GGA associated with them, but they should not be included on the overall list. My impression is that if the GGA cover or interior art/story is not the main reason why a book is prieced so high, then it should not be included. I'd be the first person to agree that some of those Timely Captain America books have great GGA covers, but are they really priced in the thousands because of the girl tied up in the background or because of a great icon like Captain America or the classic war cover?!

I would definitly place Phnatom Lady #17, Startling Comics #49, perhaps Blue Beetle #54 and others on the list, since the GGA is the primary force (but not the only factor) dictating the book's value. Sure, somene might state that the robot on the cover of Startling Comics #49 adds to the value, but again the GGA is the driving force.

Some books like Brenda Starr #14, Junior Comics #14, etc. are grossly undervalued in the OS guide, but we have to start with something. Perhaps a list like this would increase these book's values in the guide because someone will say there is no way that this book should be in the top 10, but not the other one.

((((to me, anything with a hot base is GGA, and there are plenty of Wonder Women covers that qualify (#12 is my favorite))))).

reply .... I appreciate your thoughts that anything with a hot babe is gga ... but to be fair as a category ... not everyone would consider Wonder Woman to be good girl art in every instance... as she is drawn in a more androgenous manner at time... as it was a comic created specifically to be a ... role model to kids with psychiatric input?.... I think the though was to present a pretty, but toned down female ... that every mom and dad could appreciate in that she didn't totally tittalate the boys ... anyway I agree ... as her early skirt covers are far sexier than her short pants covers ... and every once in a while she is drawn with more figure ... anyway ... not everyone would consider wonderwoman consistantly good girl art ... although she is good and she is a girl ... it's just that gga has more of a sexy tone than wonder woman consistantly has ... I think?

reply ... I appreciate your interest in a rank of the best by this forum ... but this has been done and is not my point ... in Overstreet style ... a value list is definitive to some extent ... even it is not accurate to our varied tastes ... if Overstreet were to list the top ten good girl books by value ... what are they ... this is not an arbitrary process it is matter of research ... and of course along the way we can have fun with the topic and even start another thread ... as you would like where we vote on our favorites etc ... but my point is again very specific what are the top ten by value ...

which is why I listed PL 17 ... it is the top by value ... unless of course someone else might suggest a Wonder Woman book ... but this is where the Wonder Woman as good girl makes no sense ... even though Phantom Lady is ARGUABLY' the king of the genre and priced over 9,000 in guide and is the holy grail of most good girl collectors ... with Wonder Woman as good girl ... Phantom Lady 17 or for that matter 23 would be far down the list as most valuable good girl ... but that is the point of a top ten value list ... we can argue the sense of it ... but it is what it is ...thanks for the quick reply ... now let's research this baby ...

Gene Autry is the #1 Western by Value ... I like Roy ... but Gene is the man in value

What is the top ten good girls in value?

I can live with your take for the sake of this thread, and would say that skybolt's reasoning (the extent of the GGA dictating the price) makes a little more sense. I just have a slighly more expanded definition of GGA for my collecting purpose, which I agree probably falls out of the mainstream.

Once we define GGA the exercise becomes fairly mechanical and facile, however, requiring just a few data base searches. Without doing any research (and therefore I'm sure I'm wrong), off the top of my head I'd say rank of expense is along the lines of what Skybolt notes. I would follow with the Frazetta Famous Funnies issues and maybe some the first Namora appearances. I'm sure I'm missing some obvious books.

Good Girl Art Book should have a very explicit draw........

I think any one that is a superhero should be excluded for that fact as they are crossing genres (like wonder woman).

I think any one that is a superhero should be excluded for that fact as they are crossing genres (like wonder woman).

Yup, I personally think that all D.C. and Timely superhero books should be excluded. That includes books like the Blonde Phantom, since the Sub Mariner stories play a big part in the overall book's value.

Yup, I personally think that all D.C. and Timely superhero books should be excluded. That includes books like the Blonde Phantom, since the Sub Mariner stories play a big part in the overall book's value.

I can live with giving up the Blonde Phantom, but giving up Namora hurts. frown.gif

I can live with giving up the Blonde Phantom, but giving up Namora hurts. frown.gif

Sometimes we have to let go of things we really love. grin.gif

Seriously though, and I think this issue requires further debate on certain books on the bubble. I would also include a book like Thrilling Comics #53 on the bubble list as well, or any of the crossovers between GGA and war covers.

Does Reform School Girls count as GGA - I'd say no and same with any photo cover. GGA >< Cheesecake.

I think we had this "do bad girls count too?" discussion a while ago, maybe someone can find the thread. Anyway, good call, Reform School Girls if eligible would give PL17 a run for its money as most valuable- whenver listed there is a feeding frenzy.

Does Reform School Girls count as GGA - I'd say no and same with any photo cover. GGA >< Cheesecake.

I'd say no. I would say that it could be in the top 10 cheescake photo covers. It's not Good Girl "Art" unless is drawn.

I've got that one...so ok....

well, probably not as it's already a top sci fi genre....and the girls not real big on the cover and it not the main focus.

I hope by "big" you don't mean the breast size. insane.gif

Once we define GGA the exercise becomes fairly mechanical and facile, however, requiring just a few data base searches. Without doing any research (and therefore I'm sure I'm wrong), off the top of my head I'd say rank of expense is along the lines of what Skybolt notes. I would follow with the Frazetta Famous Funnies issues and maybe some the first Namora appearances. I'm sure I'm missing some obvious books.

that's why doing the definition part is the only really interesting aspect. for instance, what about Archie or Pep books with Betty & Veronica on the cover? so long as we are talking about "...lists that rank GA GGA books regardless of price..."

Some books like Brenda Starr #14, Junior Comics #14, etc. are grossly undervalued in the OS guide, but we have to start with something. Perhaps a list like this would increase these book's values in the guide because someone will say there is no way that this book should be in the top 10, but not the other one.

Please don't drive up the prices of great GGA books until I've had a chance to purchase a copy for my collection!