• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicBase - Anyone Use It??

13 posts in this topic

www.comicbase.com

Software Review

I've seen it on Ebay where the price varies. But on the ComicBase website, you can buy the program ComicBase Express for $39.95 which is cheaper than can be found (for the same version) on Ebay.

I decided after reading the informative website and some reviews that I was going to try this least expensive version. The download was easy though SLOW but it downloaded fine. Setup was a breeze too.

From their website:

ComicBase is the world's largest comic book database, and the #1 professional inventory system on CD-ROM/DVD-ROM for keeping track of your comic book collection.

The new ComicBase 11.0 now sports more comics than ever, including cross-indexed descriptions of over 275,000 comics and price histories for the past four years. It also features something that’s never been seen before in the program’s long history: free, downloadable price and title updates.

Unlike other programs, ComicBase can automatically price your comics according to their condition and lets you take note of autographed copies, special covers, multiple printings and of course, your cost, in your inventory. It can also create price labels and a wide variety of reports to help you buy, sell, and evaluate your collection.

ComicBase 11’s new barcode support let you jump straight to a comic by using its assigned ComicBase barcode, or through the EAN/UPC number printed on the cover. The improved, industrial-strength Find feature lets you find comic-book characters' first appearances, second appearances, deaths, origin stories, or trace a certain storyline or find work by favorite writers and artists.

Anyway, I'm glad I bought the program. It's made keeping track of my 439 book collection (in a number of different ways) VERY EASY and added new found interest in my favorite hobby!! Check it out!!

There's been a ton of threads discussing programs to manage collections. Check it out! thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I've found ComicBase cumbersome to use (granted it's been three versions ago), over-engineered in some respects and expensive. I have since resorted to spreadsheets and custom created databases.

There's been a ton of threads discussing programs to manage collections. Check it out! thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I've found ComicBase cumbersome to use (granted it's been three versions ago), over-engineered in some respects and expensive. I have since resorted to spreadsheets and custom created databases.

Agreed...I stopped using the program in favor of EXCEL years ago...

Jim

Oh, and again here's my obligatory statement: if you are really cheap don't forget to overlook OpenOffice to get the tools for FREE (spreadsheet, database, word processor). I personally have a problem feeding the monopolistic dictator known as Microsoft.

Oh, and again here's my obligatory statement: if you are really cheap don't forget to overlook OpenOffice to get the tools for FREE (spreadsheet, database, word processor). I personally have a problem feeding the monopolistic dictator known as Microsoft.

I get Office free from work... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

OpenOffice rules!

And check out Gimp 2.0 for image editing.

This is the first program involving comics that I've ever used and after a few days I have to admit I like this program. As this one is version 11 maybe it took em that long to get it right but you can tell there was some serious brain power at work on this one...I suspect they're comic collectors too. ComicBase is not tied to the Overstreet guide, it's used in conjunction with the "other one", the Comic Book Price Guide (or something like that). But it makes no difference there as they're probably fairly close on their evaluations/prices anyway. Even if it's not absolute it's still nice having some idea of value. The program has 1 year of updates included and updating the values from the latest issue of the guide is as easy as simply pressing a button. They even have CGC graded selections on their grade scale, along with the unslabbed grades too, which is nice.

I see on the more expensive versions that they have many thousands of covers in the library and even have a screen saver featuring just about any comic cover you can imagine. The file system (to me) seems instinctual, natural and is nothing complicated. On the more expensive versions they even have a bar code reader that you can setup for this software to make data entry on large collections fairly easy. I'm sure there's several great ways to keep track of what's in your comic collection. However, for the sum of $39.95 you can have an upgradable version of this great comic inventory software that'll do the job on just about any sized collection. Thumbs up!!

P.S. I think I saw a demo version with disabled features available free of charge to try out so you can get the feel for this program. Check their website: www.comicbase.com