• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Crash???

139 posts in this topic

Whats the point anyway....................................... you guys don't listen to anything other than yourselves beating your chests................................................... so I might as well have some fun with you!.................................. smile.gif ..........................................

"I don't think the inevitable correction of values for high-supply items is a crash. It is a reflection of the reality that was always there. "

........you say you are talking about the cgc market?

........where was the reality?

........what i am saying is that your arguement is based around cgc prices correcting themselves to at or around guide prices (as pre-cgc)......right?

........if this is what you are saying then you are agreing that the cgc market has crashed...... grin.gif

Hey Doc - you're right. I only collect Bronze and Modern books (aside from a few

specific S.A. books that have meaning for me) and so my comments are really aimed

at these two segments of the CGC market.

Those are my preferred eras as well. IMHO, even the quality items from these time periods are seeing their values preserved. The MS 5 9.4 that hogations has up has crested $500, and rickdogg sold his IF 14 9.4 in fairly short order for what I paid for a 9.6 a year ago.

The slide in values are for those items that CGC has had enough lifespan to grade significant numbers. Supply is meeting demand for the Byrne X-Men at 9.6 and below, and for most Bronze 9.4 mid-run books.

What intrigues me is the higher grades... like ASM 140-200 in 9.8, Byrne X-Men in 9.8 etc. Will these books be more available in two to three years, after CGC sees submissions over time? Enough to meet demand?

........if this is what you are saying then you are agreing that the cgc market has crashed......

No, blowout, I'm saying that the segment of the CGC market that saw inflated prices has now assumed the values appropriate for supply.

"What intrigues me is the higher grades... like ASM 140-200 in 9.8, Byrne X-Men

in 9.8 etc. Will these books be more available in two to three years, after CGC sees

submissions over time? Enough to meet demand?"

I think the 9.8 supply *will* rise for these two titles, as many issues were actively

hoarded. But, I don't expect an avalanche of new supply. Still, I don't expect prices

to soar because of the demand side of the equation. I'm sure people will be as

"interested" as ever in the books, but I think we are entering a period of prolonged

deflation and economic/credit contraction, not unlike Japan has faced for the last

12 years. And in that type of environment, people aren't going to shell out multiple

hundreds of dollars for a 9.8 copy of X-Men #134!

OK, now I really am going to sleep.

Gene

hey - what happened to that last post of yours?

No hard feelings man, you just come off kinda mean. I do see some of your side of things, really, I just think you oversimplify a bit, thats all.

Have a good night.

I think we are entering a period of prolonged

deflation and economic/credit contraction, not unlike Japan has faced for the last

12 years.

I hope we're both wrong, because I share that view. frown.gif

For me, the best thing to come out of this value adjustment is the ability to buy terrific books at great prices. Let's hear it for a buyer's market.... smile.gif

"For me, the best thing to come out of this value adjustment is the ability to buy terrific books at great prices. Let's hear it for a buyer's market...."

........i'm with you there doc............. grin.gif

You are evidently one of those arrogant rich guys that listens to no one

but themselves or people that agree with them, and attempts to bully the

rest.

So in other words it's OK for you to insinuate that I went to "Guadalupe Tech"

and for you to bash and spout all this class warfare propaganda

nonsense in your posts, but when the tables are turned, it's time for you to play

the persecuted liberal. Hmmm...

Don't think of me as an arrogant rich guy...I'm really not that arrogant nor all that rich.

But I do have lots of practical experience, education and conviction. This is a forum

for ideas and I don't shy away from any challengers. Call me names as you

have or else GET IN THE RING with some better arguments and let's go a few

rounds.

G

No hard feelings man, you just come off kinda mean.

That's why they call me "Mean Gene". grin.gif And besides, if I wasn't giving you stick,

CI surely would be. But he's probably sleeping now, like I should be doing. I'll

be curious to see if he responds tomorrow to what you've written.

Gene

I don't think the inevitable correction of values for high-supply items is a crash. It is a reflection of the reality that was always there.

Of course, but that's true of any crash, which is basically reality catching up to the foolhardy. It was the same in coins, cards or tech stocks, so let's stop rationalizing the terms and just call it what it is.

On the vast majority of CGC comics, prices have plummeted and continue to do so, thus resulting in a serious crash.

if I wasn't giving you stick, CI surely would be. But he's probably sleeping now, like I should be doing. I'll be curious to see if he responds tomorrow to what you've written.

I really don't see much to respond too, and I prefer to let the market speak for me. The vast majority of CGC books are plummeting in value, and even the minute amount that are maintaining values, certainly aren't rising or providing any profit-model.

The above scenario equals a mass exodus of speculators and grim economic forecasts for anyone who foolishly bought when the CGC hype was at its peak. Did anyone really expect CGC books to become even "more popular" as time went by?