• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Puppies and Bunnies A story about being careful what you bring home.

370 posts in this topic

Silver Surfers bad deal, gone worse.

This was buried in the Grading forum, so it might have not been seen. Am I missing something, or did SS get chumped, and should we be really peeved at Metro?

Please take a look, read the WHOLE thread and offer your take on the facts as we know them

If all the facts are NOT known, then feel free to state your case, that was my main purpose in making this thread

And for those too lazy to read.. here is Silver Surfers cliff note version of his experience

Just to summarize the history on this book:

- Bought raw for $1,000, listed as an 8.88888+++.

- Had it graded, came back as a CGC 7.0.

- PM'd Metro to just ask about their feedback on the grade as their was some rat chew noticed on the book, no repsonse at all.

- Was sick of the whole transaction so I decided to list it on EBay with a best offer option.

- Received a $600 bid and because I wanted to purge muself of this book accepted it. Didn't relaize until I sent the invoice that the buyer was actually Metro.

- Few weeks late the book appears to be back on the website, cracked out of the slabb and now listed as an 8.0 and for $800.

- Received a $600 bid and because I wanted to purge muself of this book accepted it. Didn't relaize until I sent the invoice that the buyer was actually Metro.

- Few weeks late the book appears to be back on the website, cracked out of the slabb and now listed as an 8.0 and for $800.

I'm sorry, but...................................................................................................... 27_laughing.gif

I suspect this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Silver Surfer should have checked the book better before sending to CGC. I have been on the receiving end of some overgraded books by Metro and I've always had no problem sending them back.

I still don't see how Metro can call that book an 8.0 even from the front cover though. It's still overgraded and that's a problem. So I think Metro was in the wrong for overgrading the book twice, and Surfer should have been more careful to check the book before sending it to CGC. I can see how this deal could leave a bad taste in his mouth though.

Just to clarify...I'm not laughing at Silver Surfer losing money on this book.

I'm laughing at the how Metro sold what appears to be an overgraded book, managed to buy it back at a discount, and then bumped the grade up again to sell it for a profit.

It just sounds so utterly ridiculous. 27_laughing.gif

I suspect this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Silver Surfer should have checked the book better before sending to CGC.

I believe that's irrelevant in this case. I think Peter was pointing how he was swindled twice by Metro. Hey, some people can't grade. The fact that Metro bid on their book makes me sick.

I suspect this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Silver Surfer should have checked the book better before sending to CGC.

I believe that's irrelevant in this case.

I obviously disagree.

I read enough to note that what Metro did was wrong in my opinion. I once saw a TOS#39 graded at Metro as 6.5 which came back CGC 5.0. foreheadslap.gif Moral of the story...be on the guard when dealing with other people including big dealers.

I obviously disagree.

And that's very high and mighty of you to take Metro's side and blame this on Pete. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I obviously disagree.

And that's very high and mighty of you to take Metro's side and blame this on Pete. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You obviously are having trouble reading. I didn't take Metro's side and I am not "blaming" Pete. I just said that Pete's failure to check the book before sending it to CGC (and missing enough "rat chew" on the back cover to drop the book to 7.0) was a part of the eventual problem. Like I said, I've gotten overgraded books from Metro before and had to send them back. It sucks. But Pete could have sent the book back if he had checked it more carefully before sending it to CGC.

I suspect this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Silver Surfer should have checked the book better before sending to CGC. I have been on the receiving end of some overgraded books by Metro and I've always had no problem sending them back.

I still don't see how Metro can call that book an 8.0 even from the front cover though. It's still overgraded and that's a problem. So I think Metro was in the wrong for overgrading the book twice, and Surfer should have been more careful to check the book before sending it to CGC. I can see how this deal could leave a bad taste in his mouth though.

point taken thumbsup2.gif I agree with that and the fact that Metro stil lists this book as an 8.0 speaks badly for them! I mean CGC gave it an 7.0 and they had to remove the slab and grade it a raw 8.0. I thought only 893censored-thumb.gif dealers do this...guess I was wrong 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I obviously disagree.

You obviously are having trouble reading. I didn't take Metro's side and I am not "blaming" Pete. I just said that Pete's failure to check the book before sending it to CGC (and missing enough "rat chew" on the back cover to drop the book to 7.0) was a part of the eventual problem. Like I said, I've gotten overgraded books from Metro before and had to send them back. It sucks. But Pete could have sent the book back if he had checked it more carefully before sending it to CGC.

If thats not blaming Pete, I dont know what is. You're basically saying: this whole situation could have been averted if Peter had been more careful. If that's not blaming Peter for the situation , then what is? And your silence regarding Metro's behavior in all this is deafening.

And something else that might not have been said: Peter tried to contact Metro after receving the CGC grade and Metro ignored him. I'm sure Peter would have been willing to eat the grading fees for his "error", but he never was given the chance to.

but how about metro's subsequent "behaviour" regarding this book. do u condone it?

i think everyone would be screwy.gif if they do condone it...Silver Surfer you have every right to feel Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif with Metro...if that happened to me, I will post it here in the boards for all people to see what Metro is really like.

but how about metro's subsequent "behaviour" regarding this book. do u condone it?

i think everyone would be screwy.gif if they dont condone it...Silver Surfer you have every right to feel Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif with Metro...if that happened to me, I will post it here in the boards for all people to see what Metro is really like.

i think u mean if they DO condone it. i can't tell if ur using the term correctly.

to condone is to give tacit approval to something (to not object to something). thus, if FFB condones metro's behavior, it means he does not criticize it.

What part? The overgrading? No, I don't condone overgrading. Buying a book and selling it for more than they paid? I have no problem with that. Buying a book in a CGC case and cracking it out and selling it at a different grade? No problem, but make sure you describe all of the defects and/or give full scans so the buyer knows what he's getting.