• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please vote for your Liaison Committee!

219 posts in this topic

Of course, in the new guide, suddenly 10.0s can have a miswrap. But don't get me started on that. 893censored-thumb.gif

Are you serious? What version of the OS Grading Guide is that in?

The turd edition. insane.gif

Here's the way it plays out:

9.0 and below: No centering requirements.

9.2: Generally well-centered

9.4: Generally well-centered

9.6: Well-centered

9.8: Well-centered

Now regardless of your interpretation of these terms (other than the self-explanatory "well-centered"), it is a fact that OS increases the cover centering requirements as the grade goes up. No wiggle room there.

And not to mention OS makes mention of "off-center", "mis-wrap" and "mis-

wrapped" covers in their "defect list" throughout the book.

Overstreet has generally mentioned mis-wrapping throughout the years, but like I said before production defects have not historically impacted on a books grade except at the uber-high levels. You're examples in fact bear this out, as anything below a 9.6 can be 'generally well-centred' and below a 9.2 is open season.

The point I was trying to make is still valid, as a 9.6 didn't really exist before CGC's inception, and as such production defects had a very minor impact (if at all) on the technical grade assigned to a book pre certified grading.

I am not saying that QP issues shouldn't be considered when buying a book, as I am certain that any experienced collector does consider them. But the technical grade given to a book has never really been affected by them. makepoint.gif

Here's the way it plays out:

9.0 and below: No centering requirements.

9.2: Generally well-centered

9.4: Generally well-centered

9.6: Well-centered

9.8: Well-centered

Now regardless of your interpretation of these terms (other than the self-explanatory "well-centered"), it is a fact that OS increases the cover centering requirements as the grade goes up. No wiggle room there.

And not to mention OS makes mention of "off-center", "mis-wrap" and "mis-

wrapped" covers in their "defect list" throughout the book.

Overstreet has generally mentioned mis-wrapping throughout the years, but like I said before production defects have not historically impacted on a books grade except at the uber-high levels. You're examples in fact bear this out, as anything below a 9.6 can be 'generally well-centred' and below a 9.2 is open season.

The point I was trying to make is still valid, as a 9.6 didn't really exist before CGC's inception, and as such production defects had a very minor impact (if at all) on the technical grade assigned to a book pre certified grading.

I am not saying that QP issues shouldn't be considered when buying a book, as I am certain that any experienced collector does consider them. But the technical grade given to a book has never really been affected by them. makepoint.gif

It's not just centering that makes up QP though. Bad QP defects can have a significant affect on grade. There is a Giant Size Conan #1 in the second edition of the guide that looks like a structural 9.2, but graded a 6.0 primarily because the book wasn't cut square on the top and bottom edge. (Slanted miscuts.) The old, first edition grading guide had a disney book that was in near mint 94 state, but the QP was so bad (skewed registration and miscut so bad it was trapezoidal) they graded it a Poor 3 (both scores on the 100 point scale).

Miscuts, poorly trimmed pages, badly out-of-register printing, and things like that are far more significant QP problems and have a far greater impact on the book's grade. Simple miswraps are just not that big of a deal on the QP-defect spectrum compared to some of the real QP monstrosities.

Okay i didn't want to do this but i have been left with no choice. Vote for me and i will paypal you 25 cents.
27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

I was opting for the free comics you promised last time poke2.gif I gave you all three votes, can i then have 75 cents and free comics then? confused-smiley-013.gif

How much longer to vote? And will you count faster than those *spoons* in Virginia? confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif

Voting ends at 10pm Pacific time tonight. I've been tabulating as we go, so yes, I'll have the results right away. I'll either post them here, or in a new thread.