• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

I'll try and scan the stories tonight. Most of the art for Parents Magazine was done by the Jacquet group, and is pretty pedestrian. The stories are usually preachy and uninteresting. I pick them up because they meet my two most important collecting criteria, cheap and off-beat. My LCS keeps a cheap box set aside for me where he throws books he figures he can't sell to anyone else. If their under $10 I'll take them.

Monty

I'll try and scan the stories tonight. Most of the art for Parents Magazine was done by the Jacquet group, and is pretty pedestrian. The stories are usually preachy and uninteresting. I pick them up because they meet my two most important collecting criteria, cheap and off-beat. My LCS keeps a cheap box set aside for me where he throws books he figures he can't sell to anyone else. If their under $10 I'll take them.

And unrestored, of course!

Jack

(Eeeuuwwgghh -- is that a dreaded GLUE SPOT on my Calling All Kids 4?)

The heck with the glue spots, what about the issues where the original owner realized the eyes were the wrong color and restored them with their ink pen. At the bottom feeder end of the pond, we take anything if it's cheap enough.

press.jpg

Hey, Monte, do I remember correctly that you are the board member with the full run of GI-Janes? I've set up a search on eBay over the last few months and not a single one has showed up!! I'd never have thought they were that tough to find :pullhair: How are the interiors for that series.

Oh, and thanks for posting the books above. You mean to say that even the story tales adaptations are awful! How could they mess those?

Most of the fairy tale adaptions have really terrible art. A couple aren't too bad.

Yeh, I've got a full run of GI Jane, it took me a long time to put together, and one issue is an old Hammer Frankenbook from the Fantasia days, but it's complete. They show up on e-bay occasionally, but usually go for well over guide. I sold my duplicate VG's for better than NM guide a couple years ago.

They show up on e-bay occasionally, but usually go for well over guide. I sold my duplicate VG's for better than NM guide a couple years ago.

I'm not quite surprised considering I've not yet seen one up on eBay in 3 to 4 months. Oh well, patience will pay off eventually. Thanks for the info. (thumbs u

Monty

:applause:

Not quite Short Bus material but this one's for Jack if he doesn't already have it. How many stories do feature Thorium, really? This from the first Flash Gordon story in Flash Gordon # 4 by King in 1967, probably the best Williamson jobs I've ever seen.

Btw, shouldn't that be Thorium 212?

48085-FlashGordon4-Thorium.jpg.386abc50fc7f9523d7b97db710f6f5ab.jpg

Not quite Short Bus material but this one's for Jack if he doesn't already have it. How many stories do feature Thorium, really? This from the first Flash Gordon story in Flash Gordon # 4 by King in 1967, probably the best Williamson jobs I've ever seen.

THANKS!

Good page. Unfortunately I only have # 5, 5, 6, 8, 8. Anyone want to trade for my spare 5 & 8 (if I can find them)?

More like Th-232! Th-212 is way too light. Possibly the writers didn't know it's a real element, like the DC writers who "invented" promethium.

Poor ol' Ming. Do you suppose he'll be back?

Jack

48085-FlashGordon4-Thorium.jpg

The issue with the Oyster and Turtle stories is back in storage, so I couldn't scan it last night, I'll dig it out over the holidays, and scan them. Meanwhile, here's the Fish who wore glasses.

Thanks for posting!

I actually enjoyed reading that and thought the art fit the rhyming storyline!

Guess I'm a short-busser! :blush:

The issue with the Oyster and Turtle stories is back in storage, so I couldn't scan it last night, I'll dig it out over the holidays, and scan them. Meanwhile, here's the Fish who wore glasses.

Thanks for posting!

I actually enjoyed reading that and thought the art fit the rhyming storyline!

Guess I'm a short-busser! :blush:

Ditto. A sappy story, but the pictures of the fish with glasses were fun in a bizarre way. I can imagine sitting down with your kid in your lap and having a good time reading it to him or her.

The Alice story looks like it has all the life sucked out of it though.

Jack

I might as well bring them straight to the Short Bus (also posted on the cigar thread). Nice, bright-looking comics from 1948 for about $8 each!

This cover cracks me up. It looks Anthony sent Nancy and Sluggo to the cornfield.

48289-sparklecomics2.jpg

And this one is different, a Nancy/Katzenjammer Kids crossover. Beating children used to be funny!

48290-sparklecomics8.jpg

Jack