• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Frisky Animals 45 Apr-51

54776-FriskyAnimals.jpg

Not a moment's peace, I tell ya. People clamoring, "When are you going to show us that pink, anthropomorphic construction equipment? How long must we wait?"

This is your lucky day.

The lead story, nicely drawn by Al Fago, features Neddy Bear and his pals vs. a wicked witch. Here's the closing page, with an ending straight out of Max und Moritz.

54792-FriskyAnimals2.jpg

Dopsy Durvy, a rabbit selling cheese and canned goods on the moon, drawn by Jason Comic Art. Nice character design for a studio job. The sales pitch for canned beef stew cracks me up -- along with "Look! It's a bird... It's a plane! No! It's the cow and Dopsy Durvy!" I wonder how they thought that line up?

54793-FriskyAnimals3.jpg

Finally, Diggy the Derrick by C W Winter. The heart-rending tale of a derrick who wanted to take a ferry ride on his day off, but ended up seasick on a raft!

54794-FriskyAnimals4.jpg

Strange stuff, but overall a well produced comic book.

Jack

(Is a derrick an animal just because it's frisky?)

Edited by selegue

Frisky Animals 45 Apr-51

54776-FriskyAnimals.jpg

Not a moment's peace, I tell ya. People clamoring, "When are you going to show us that pink, anthropomorphic construction equipment? How long must we wait?"

This is your lucky day.

The lead story, nicely drawn by Al Fago, features Neddy Bear and his pals vs. a wicked witch. Here's the closing page, with an ending straight out of Max und Moritz.

54792-FriskyAnimals2.jpg

Dopsy Durvy, a rabbit selling cheese and canned goods on the moon, drawn by Jason Comic Art. Nice character design for a studio job. The sales pitch for canned beef stew cracks me up -- along with "Look! It's a bird... It's a plane! No! It's the cow and Dopsy Durvy!" I wonder how they thought that line up?

54793-FriskyAnimals3.jpg

Finally, Diggy the Derrick by C W Winter. The heart-rending tale of a derrick who wanted to take a ferry ride on his day off, but ended up seasick on a raft!

54794-FriskyAnimals4.jpg

Jack

I could use Diggy at one of my jobsites. Can you check and see if he is avaialble? :wishluck:

Frisky Animals 45 Apr-51

54794-FriskyAnimals4.jpg

Jack

I could use Diggy at one of my jobsites. Can you check and see if he is avaialble? :wishluck:

If the job involves rooting around for shellfish, you're in luck. Diggy ends the story by digging for clams.

Jack

53704-WillRogers5.jpg

If I were a kid back in the old days and had saved up my lawn mowing money to go down to the store to buy comics and this was all they had, I would have burned down the town.

Frisky Animals 45 Apr-51

54776-FriskyAnimals.jpg

The ugly green ink single-handedly ruins this cover. It belongs in this thread.

Possibly faded from the original color and not translated well from book to scan to your monitor, although the display on my monitor, which tends to run dark, matches the book pretty closely.

Jack

53704-WillRogers5.jpg

If I were a kid back in the old days and had saved up my lawn mowing money to go down to the store to buy comics and this was all they had, I would have burned down the town.

No mess. Thats just terrible.

That's why I posted it in the Short Bus :sumo: More to the point, what was Fox thinking publishing a comic book in 1950 about a guy by then dead some 15 years? Will Rogers' plane crash occured in 1935!!! Maybe this is a zombie book hm

At least Fawcett dropped Buck Jones rather quickly after his death in 1942 to replace him with Gene Autry as the Western lead in its books.

IIRC, the only other Western feature long-running after the actor's death was Tom Mix, running up to 1953 despite Tom's death in a car accident in 1940. In fact, his series almost started AFTER his death since he died in October and the first Ralston-Purina Tom Mix comic came out with a September cover date.

Btw, I am looking for any copy of the Tom Mix Commandos Comics from 1942.

So, how much did you spend on this delightful _________? :gossip:

I don't remember exactly. Less than $15 shipped for sure off eBay. An impulse purchase b/c I like OTR and he was an early staple on radio and I did live in OK for a good number of years which started my "connection" with Will. Guide on this is over $35 in Good I think :screwy:

and I did live in OK for a good number of years which started my "connection" with Will. Guide on this is over $35 in Good I think :screwy:
I thought you were still there. (shrug)

and I did live in OK for a good number of years which started my "connection" with Will. Guide on this is over $35 in Good I think :screwy:
I thought you were still there. (shrug)

Nope :sorry: I live in the Land of the Frozen Tundra *brrr*