• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Are we sure that's Drucker? He'd been fired several years earlier by Kanigher and I hadn't heard he did subsequent work for them.

Are "we" sure? I'm not.

Drucker credit is from GCD, which probably means Steven Rowe, Jerry Bails' Who's Who and other experts. It could be an error. Do you think it's Oksner? I'll send a question to GCD if you do.

Jack

Don't know "who" just ,"who not" -- or who it probably isn't.

Are we sure that's Drucker? He'd been fired several years earlier by Kanigher and I hadn't heard he did subsequent work for them.

Are "we" sure? I'm not.

Drucker credit is from GCD, which probably means Steven Rowe, Jerry Bails' Who's Who and other experts. It could be an error. Do you think it's Oksner? I'll send a question to GCD if you do.

Jack

Don't know "who" just ,"who not" -- or who it probably isn't.

OK, thanks.

Too late for Fitzgerald, too early for Adams, leaving Oksner almost the only possibility.

Jack

PS Jerry's Who's Who lists Drucker on the book until 1965 -- #90 is Jan 1965.

DRUCKER, MORT

DC COMICS

ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE (pen/ink/) 1950s/61-65 > 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 61 62 63 64 65

But Oksner overlaps:

OKSNER, BOB

DC COMICS

ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE (wr/pen/ink/) 1960-67 > 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

JPS

Edited by selegue

Drucker told me that he stopped doing work for other editors to work exclusively for Kanigher because Kanigher was the toughest to work for and he thought it would motivate him. He was devasted when Kanigher fired him and unsure what he was going to do until he landed at Mad, where he made his mark for a wider audience. This event was significant enough that Kanigher eventually admitted that the firing was a mistake -- the only mistake Kanigher ever admitted to. Artists have been known to be wrong but I suspect enough that his recollection is correct that I would want to triple-check the attribution. Drucker was fired before DC started producing 12 cent comics.

Edited by adamstrange

Adventures of Bob Hope 90

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=71328

The story credit says:

Mort Drucker (signed) and I just checked my copy. The signature is right there on page 1.

The cover art (especially the robot) is consistent with the story art. Based on the comparision, I think that the cover credit as Drucker is probably right.

Thanks,

Jack

Drucker told me that he stopped doing work for other editors to work exclusively for Kanigher because Kanigher was the toughest to work for and he thought it would motivate him. He was devasted when Kanigher fired him and unsure what he was going to do until he landed at Mad, where he made his mark for a wider audience. This event was significant enough that Kanigher eventually admitted that the firing was a mistake -- the only mistake Kanigher ever admitted to. Artists have been known to be wrong but I suspect enough that his recollection is correct that I would want to triple-check the attribution. Drucker was fired before DC started producing 12 cent comics.

A freebie from the skypinkblu pedigree!

Added into box 1 of my latest massive order -- thanks, Sharon!

Jack the Giant Killer 12-374-301 Jan-63 Dell Movie Classic

57881-JackGiKill.jpg

GCD says that the painted cover is from movie poster art, crediting the story to Ken Fitch (-script), Ed Ashe (Lee Ames?) (Pencils and inks). Fairly crude story artwork, but fun.

Now I can't decide whether she thinks I'm a guy that kills giants, or a giant that kills. Pesky punctuation!

Jack

As promised, a few Short Bus candidates from the skypinkblu pedigree.

Buster Bunny 15, Jul-53 from Standard. Classic racist cover on a funny animal book! Sorry, no artist information. Jerry Bails' Who's Who lists only Al Fago (doesn't look like his work to me) and Kin Platt (no idea). Does anyone have a clue?

Jack

58028-BusterBunny15.jpg

Buzzy 24, Apr-49. This one is almost too cool for the Short Bus.

Probably written by Paul Newman and drawn by Graham Place. Does anyone know enough about the series to disagree?

Jack

58029-Buzzy24x.jpg

(CBS Television presents) Adventures of Mighty Mouse 138, May-58 from Pines. I like the very clean Mighty Mouse drawing style. He got passed from one publisher to another so often that it's hard to find much information. Who's Who suggests maybe Lawrence Silverman or Carlo Vinci here. Anyone know?

Jack

58030-AdvMiMouse138.jpg

Cool book (thumbs u

I thought I had an issue of Buster Bunny but I don't. I opted not to purchase issue # 12 - Jan. 1952 since after that there's a publishing gap. Your issue, # 15, for example is already July 1953. But I do have an issue of Happy Rabbit, # 47, one of the last issues of the short run. I just checked and there's a half-page gag featuring Buster Bunny inside. It seems that the difference between the two little fellas is that Buster is an adolescent while Happy is a full grown rabbit. As a bonus (and I must have shown this before), the main story features the Eiffel Tower :D

58036-HappyRabbit47s.jpg.1496e45f57f79a469774b73cc6a1bf6e.jpg

58037-HappyRabbit47Story1Page1s.jpg.b80e7d1cc2774907b26f1501dc1cc947.jpg

Giggle Comics 89, Jun-53. ACG funny animals are really the backwaters, aren't they? I like 'em anyway.

Probably a Dan Gordon cover.

Possibly Lynn Karp, Bob Wickersham (Spencer Spook), Ken Hultgren (The Duke and the Dope) inside. Sharp funny animal book -- there are even some humans in the stories!

Jack

58041-Giggle89.jpg

Cool book (thumbs u

I thought I had an issue of Buster Bunny but I don't. I opted not to purchase issue # 12 - Jan. 1952 since after that there's a publishing gap. Your issue, # 15, for example is already July 1953. But I do have an issue of Happy Rabbit, # 47, one of the last issues of the short run. I just checked and there's a half-page gag featuring Buster Bunny inside. It seems that the difference between the two little fellas is that Buster is an adolescent while Happy is a full grown rabbit. As a bonus (and I must have shown this before), the main story features the Eiffel Tower :D

Fun page.

I like zee bulldog (?) wiz Frainsh accent! Is the next page a Paratrooper essential?

I have Buster Bunny 12 -- indexed it for GCD in fact. When I'm digging for certain other books (you well know) I'll keep an eye out for it. I don't know whether it would fit in your budget though!

Jack

58037-HappyRabbit47Story1Page1s.jpg

Finally, we let Sister Bertrille on the Short Bus. Who better to keep order by whacking the bad kids across the knuckles with a steel-edged ruler?

The Flying Nun 1, Feb-68 from Dell. Sally Field photo cover (be still, my heart!) from one of the cheeziest TV shows of the 1960s. Fairly ugly interior art by Henry Scarpelli (signed) as he tries to duplicate the look of the characters. Some of the stories are nearly incomprehensible too -- maybe you had to see the TV episode for them to make sense.

Jack

58042-FlyingNun.jpg

I have Buster Bunny 12 -- indexed it for GCD in fact. When I'm digging for certain other books (you well know) I'll keep an eye out for it. I don't know whether it would fit in your budget though!

I have been more than patient enough :sumo: I think the books that are your part of the trade are now used to stabilize a table around the basement. I'm trying to make them more vintage for you :baiting: I might take out the extras I had thrown in there for you too :eek:

Fun page.

I like zee bulldog (?) wiz Frainsh accent! Is the next page a Paratrooper essential?

How'd you know? On top of that, they helped arrest Cochon! and they get ze immense reward :banana:

58043-HappyRabbit47Story1Page2s.jpg.521dc6f5b1e622ee41cb34a2ef55c78f.jpg

Short Bus or first-class section?

Real Screen Comics 2 Sum-45

Very early Fox and Crow, Flippity and Flop, etc.

Very cool funny animal book (with a few problems).

I'll try to scan a few pages tomorrow -- some nice artwork in there.

Jack

58099-RealScreen2.jpg

I'm going to guess this one belongs in this thread (except someone else on eBay thought it shouldn't and upped my final price :frustrated:). I'm wondering if this one received wide distribution. I won it from someone in NY which did not surprise me. The cover re-uses an element from # 2 -

58871-MisteryUniverse4s.jpg.b6fdf5f3a135bb0e392603433bc10c27.jpg

I don't think these could go anywhere but The Bus -- but they're sorta fun.

You don't see these birds on the boards very often.

Paul Terry's Heckle and Jeckle Comics 19, 1954 from St John in glorious BTH condition.

59575-hecandjeck19.jpg

Tuff Ghosts Starring Spooky 20, 1965/66.

Harvey? Are you kidding? I couldn't resist for a penny.

59576-tuffghosts20.jpg

Jack

I don't think these could go anywhere but The Bus -- but they're sorta fun.

You don't see these birds on the boards very often.

Paul Terry's Heckle and Jeckle Comics 19, 1954 from St John in glorious BTH condition.

59575-hecandjeck19.jpg

Tuff Ghosts Starring Spooky 20, 1965/66.

Harvey? Are you kidding? I couldn't resist for a penny.

59576-tuffghosts20.jpg

Jack

I like Harvey comics.

Finally, we let Sister Bertrille on the Short Bus. Who better to keep order by whacking the bad kids across the knuckles with a steel-edged ruler?

The Flying Nun 1, Feb-68 from Dell. Sally Field photo cover (be still, my heart!) from one of the cheeziest TV shows of the 1960s. Fairly ugly interior art by Henry Scarpelli (signed) as he tries to duplicate the look of the characters. Some of the stories are nearly incomprehensible too -- maybe you had to see the TV episode for them to make sense.

Jack

58042-FlyingNun.jpg

so hot