• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

As promised, a few Short Bus candidates from the skypinkblu pedigree.

Finally, we let Sister Bertrille on the Short Bus. Who better to keep order by whacking the bad kids across the knuckles with a steel-edged ruler?

The Flying Nun 1, Feb-68 from Dell. Sally Field photo cover (be still, my heart!) from one of the cheeziest TV shows of the 1960s. Fairly ugly interior art by Henry Scarpelli (signed) as he tries to duplicate the look of the characters. Some of the stories are nearly incomprehensible too -- maybe you had to see the TV episode for them to make sense.

Jack

58042-FlyingNun.jpg

so hot

hmI had that book for YEARS, never once got steamed up about her...I thought she was kind of dorky;) :baiting:

Finally, we let Sister Bertrille on the Short Bus. Who better to keep order by whacking the bad kids across the knuckles with a steel-edged ruler?

The Flying Nun 1, Feb-68 from Dell. Sally Field photo cover (be still, my heart!) from one of the cheeziest TV shows of the 1960s. Fairly ugly interior art by Henry Scarpelli (signed) as he tries to duplicate the look of the characters. Some of the stories are nearly incomprehensible too -- maybe you had to see the TV episode for them to make sense.

Jack

58042-FlyingNun.jpg

so hot

hmI had that book for YEARS, never once got steamed up about her...I thought she was kind of dorky;) :baiting:

But Sharon, you're a GIRL! I told you the guys (well, at least gator) would go ga-ga over this book.

Jack

Jack

58042-FlyingNun.jpg

so hot

seeing as I was raised Catholic, and went to a Catholic grade school... something about nuns :insane:

Jack

58042-FlyingNun.jpg

so hot

seeing as I was raised Catholic, and went to a Catholic grade school... something about nuns :insane:

Someone TRIED to get me to sell the Laser Disc of the Singing Nun for them, I stuck it on Ebay for a minute and gave it back to him...(if you still want it;) :baiting:

Jack

58042-FlyingNun.jpg

so hot

But Sharon, you're a GIRL! I told you the guys (well, at least gator) would go ga-ga over this book.

Jack

You people are weird...;):tonofbricks:

You people are weird...;):tonofbricks:

Speaking of which...

I've seen this book kicking around for years and was curious about it, but never bought a copy until a friend was desperately trying to clear out a mountain of misc. and asked me to take anything I wanted for a dime each. I've had a fondness for Gumby ever since his vaguely psychedelic adventures were on TV back in the late 1960s (for those of you that remember the late 60s).

Gumby's Summer Fun Special 1, Jul-87, Comico.

59589-gumbycov.jpg

There are biographies of Gumby creator Art Clokey (a celebrated alumnus of my alma mater, Miami University), writer Bob Burden (Flaming Carrot) and artist Arthur Adams inside the front cover. And the story is positively bizarre, featuring not only Gumby, Pokey and their usual supporting cast, but also their despondently suicidal friend, Wooster, robots, aliens with their eyes popping out of their sockets, and bears in Space Police suits. Here's a page.

59590-gumbypage.jpg

Short bus? I don't know where else to put it.

Jack

I watched Gumby as a kid too, seems kinda silly now. What the hell was gumby anyway?

I'm pretty sure he was a giant eraser, lol...I never quite got him, I used to change the channel;)

Obviously not into the zeitgeist of the late 60s-early 70s.

Jack

:bump:

I was out in Short Bus land in my boxes this morning and was browsing inside this Love Confessions issue. The first story splash caught my eye (see below). This artist is all over the Quality Romance books of the era. My question (and I am half ashamed of asking it) is: This is not Bill Ward, right?

60411-LoveConfessions13.jpg.7aa3f6136ca9598dc26e449225802caf.jpg

60412-LoveConfessions13-story1s.jpg.baf156670e1e4a2670fcdf68176c3797.jpg

I was out in Short Bus land in my boxes this morning and was browsing inside this Love Confessions issue. The first story splash caught my eye (see below). This artist is all over the Quality Romance books of the era. My question (and I am half ashamed of asking it) is: This is not Bill Ward, right?

The Short Bus is back on the route!

The World's Worst Art Spotter says that it's not Ward.

Looks like a "shop job" to me -- very generic.

Jack

The Short Bus is back on the route!

The World's Worst Art Spotter says that it's not Ward.

Looks like a "shop job" to me -- very generic.

Jack

There isn't much there to guess with but I often see Gustavson work that reminds me of Ward. I agree with Jack that it is not Ward anyway.

bb

Don't miss the heart rendering story ?!?

It is either a crossover story involving body snatchers and the human parts trade or contractors and cement.

I am going with the former.

Over in the Selling Forum, people are making fun of the All-Flash run, particularly this issue -

AllFlash14.jpg

Here is a peek inside All-Flash # 14.

Winky, Blinky and Noddy really did create the issue to the horror of Editor Shelly Mayer seen on this page - (Sorry for the fiche scans)

60872-AF14-Mayer.jpg.26c17caf364dd6c5cc351527baf38ded.jpg

Later on, both the artist and the writer are pictured in the story: E. E. Hibbard and Gardner Fox (see below).

All that obscures the fact that Hibbard could turn out some decent splash action as seen below as well -

60875-AF14-Hibbard-Fox.jpg.068062bd9848ce944b88ef1868cd8b1e.jpg

60876-AF14-S1.jpg.0ae77ab210826629a68cc18b6fea0f5f.jpg

60877-AF14-S2.jpg.199fa65c73165ec556ed033c38faec9d.jpg

Over in the Selling Forum, people are making fun of the All-Flash run, particularly this issue -

Good Lord! *CHOKE!*

Who would make fun of Winky, Blinky and Noddy?

Jack

AllFlash14.jpg

Here is a peek inside All-Flash # 14.

Winky, Blinky and Noddy really did create the issue to the horror of Editor Shelly Mayer seen on this page - (Sorry for the fiche scans)

Later on, both the artist and the writer are pictured in the story: E. E. Hibbard and Gardner Fox (see below).

All that obscures the fact that Hibbard could turn out some decent splash action as seen below as well -

Very impressive splash!

Thanks for the peek inside.

Jack

60877-AF14-S2.jpg

You're welcome. I am looking at all the other All Flash and Flash Quarterly scans I have and the Martin Naydel issues are :sick:, Hibbard is hit and miss and Elias brings a different and pleasant flair to the pages, more roguish.

Here's another splendid splash by Hibbard though, from All Flash Quarterly # 7. Truth be told, most aren't of that caliber -

60881-AFQ7-S1.jpg.e13e9d61d349beae961c93de2dbb7465.jpg