• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE: Your worst raw purchase

84 posts in this topic

Swamp Thing 7, bought as a VF+, looked like a 9.4, sent it to CGC after Berni Wrightson signed it, came back 7.0 PLOD (TE + BE TRIMMED).

not my best moment.

of course, the book only cost me like 6 bux at the outset, but it was damn disappointing nonetheless

The comic seller aka "spencerkiddd" - sold me Uncanny X-men 112, 113, 114, 115 and 118 in VF/NM and stated in his auctions that there were "no major flaws" in any of these books.

When I received them I was expecting at the least FN/VF (I have learned to lower my expectations on eBay purchases because sellers tend to fluff there books up one grade higher)

Unfortunately the books I got were GD due to heavy wear and WATER DAMAGE. Ugh!

Oh well, I contacted the seller and he gave me a refund, but the worst explanation for his oversite that I have ever heard - He said that "when I grade I never open the book itself, because I don't want to put anymore wear on the spine". What the @#!*&%!!! He also said he didn't know what water damage was.

Oh well, still calm an collected I forgave him for being a rookie dealer and wasting my time.

A couple of days later... I noticed that the same books that i sent back to him were up again on his auctions - With no changes to the listing of the grades of these books.

In turn of that, I had to give a seller a negative feedback.

It looks now that this seller has sold a great deal since then (2004)

with a 99.9% / 1782 feedback rating. Maybe he learned from this or maybe

there are many people out there that don't know how to grade (gulp!)

Who knows...

I sure haven't bought from him again.

tongue.gif

3 pretty SA Spideys bought as NM- all came back the grade assigned with a pretty purple label.

Actually this situation had a very happy ending so strike that.

Bought two lots from a board member recently where he listed the lots as being NM and most of the books including the better ones varied from F - NM.He is on my list of people never to buy from again

3 pretty SA Spideys bought as NM- all came back the grade assigned with a pretty purple label.

Actually this situation had a very happy ending so strike that.

Don't leave us hanging. Finish the story. Especially if it has a very happy ending.

Although many other raw purchases hit me harder from a financial standpoint (primarily through my stupidity or bad grading), my comic-keys purchases are a no brainer. The situation is documented on OldGuy's site that is well documented here on the boards.

Bought two lots from a board member recently where he listed the lots as being NM and most of the books including the better ones varied from F - NM.He is on my list of people never to buy from again

yeah but it was only $75 poke2.gif

Still dont list a lot as NM and waste my *spoon* time and money just to see a bunch of books thrown in a box in lower condition than advertised.I couldve done better from a newbie on ebay..

Still dont list a lot as NM and waste my *spoon* time just to see a bunch of books thrown in a box in lower condition than advertised.I couldve done better from a newbie on ebay..

It's getting a little toasty in here!...

flamed.gif

Still dont list a lot as NM and waste my *spoon* time just to see a bunch of books thrown in a box in lower condition than advertised.I couldve done better from a newbie on ebay..

flamed.gif

t'warent me that sold the books to him, in case you were wondering gossip.gif

flamed.gif

It wasnt Sal

flamed.gif

got a link?, I have a feeling this was a blowout I missed...

Having re-entered the hobby after years and years of being out I was a bit rusty on identifying grades. Not having found this board I started to build my collection on Ebay which was a collection of good and bad experiences. The bad were several overpriced purchases on way overgraded books.

Iron Man 1 sold as VF+.....CGC came back 5.5 with Cream to OW

TOS 57 sold as VF+...graded here as a 6.5

CAP 100 sold as VF+....graded here as a 6.5/7.0 sorry.gif