• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you consider these 2 "procedures" restoration ???

80 posts in this topic

everyone's favorite topic: restoration !...or is it?

I have 2 different comic books right now that I am taking thru 2 different "procedures". Of course, if I ever sold, I would disclose this to any potential buyer, and in both cases, the goal is to improve the look of the book....so keeping disclosure out of it ( because these books are keepers), I would like to know if you would consider either of these 2 procedures "restoration". It seems to be a "gray" area, whereas color touch, tear seals, staple replacement, etc etc are not.

book #1 - I have placed in a sleeve with no backing board, and I have it placed towards the bottom of a stack of smooth ceramic tiles. The goal is to make the cover as flat as possible, and thru the pressure of the stack, hopefully minimize minor cover creasing ( the book is a VG+ ).There is no heat or mechanical device involved...just a stack of tiles. Would you consider this restoration?

book#2 - (pictured below)..I have a conservator removing tape placed on the spine many years ago( not by me). She is applying a chemical that will disolve the adhesive of the tape. She is performing no other work to the book....nothing but tape removal.

Would you consider this restoration?

1476240-humor-set003%282%29.jpg

1476240-humor-set003(2).jpg.7a02f8560afdca3c96787b7e69fe397d.jpg

#1: absolutely not.

#2: absolutely yes. Applying a chemical solvent for tape removal is restoration or at least conservation (however you want to split that hair). I imagine the vast majority of collectors would agree.

Disclose #2, but I don't think there is any need to discolse #1. By the way, I think in order to remove creases you need to relax the paper fibers with moisture and heat, pressure alone isn't going to do much of anything.

book#2 - (pictured below)..I have a conservator removing tape placed on the spine many years ago( not by me). She is applying a chemical that will disolve the adhesive of the tape. She is performing no other work to the book....nothing but tape removal.

would you consider this restoration?

Yes, a quandry definitely, but still yes. sumo.gif

Ironically, the placement of the tape on the spine is not considered restoration, but its removal is. grin.gif

no restoration being done in my opinion!! thumbsup2.gif

Putting chemicals on a book and removing tape isn't restoration? confused.gif What about cleaning the book with chemicals? What about whitening the pages with chemicals? How are those things any different? All three processes are removing something.

everyone's favorite topic: restoration !...or is it?

book #1 - I have placed in a sleeve with no backing board, and I have it placed towards the bottom of a stack of smooth ceramic tiles. The goal is to make the cover is flat as possible, and thru the pressure of the stack, hopefully minimize minor cover creasing ( the book is a VG+ ).There is no heat or mechanical device involoved...just a stack of tiles. Would you consider this restoration?

No, but it won't work either grin.gif

#2: absolutely yes. Applying a chemical solvent for tape removal is restoration or at least conservation (however you want to split that hair). I imagine the vast majority of collectors would agree.

Disclose #2, but I don't think there is any need to discolse #1. By the way, I think in order to remove creases you need to relax the paper fibers with moisture and heat, pressure alone isn't going to do much of anything.

thumbsup2.gif

no restoration being done in my opinion!! thumbsup2.gif

Putting chemicals on a book and removing tape isn't restoration? confused.gif What about cleaning the book with chemicals? What about whitening the pages with chemicals? How are those things any different? All three processes are removing something.

To me the chemical isn't doing anything to the book per say, it's dissolving the adhesive of the tape away. Again, it's only my opinion. I'm not dictating to any other collector... hi.gif

1. No

2. No

The first is not adding anything to the book itself.

The second is simply removing something that has become attached to the book. It just so happens they are doing so carefully with a chemical. But if a 5 year old kid ripped the tape off by hand would that be restoration? No. It seems like people are more concerned with the process of what is being done, rather then what the process actually does in the end. If the chemical in anyway whitens the cover then that is another story. But if the premise is given that ONLY the tape is being removed with no influences to the book itself, then I would not consider it "restoration". Removing a stain would be restoration because you are actually altering the appearance of the book. Removing tape is taking something away that was not imbedded in the book in the first place.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

1. No, as this minimal pressure comes nowhere near that of a professional press, and does not bring heat or moisture into the equation.

2. Obviously, as you are physically removing a physical part of the current comic, whether it was there to begin with or not.

The second is simply removing something that has become attached to the book. It just so happens they are doing so carefully with a chemical. But if a 5 year old kid ripped the tape off by hand would that be restoration? No. It seems like people are more concerned with the process of what is being done, rather then what the process actually does in the end. If the chemical in anyway whitens the cover then that is another story. But if the premise is given that ONLY the tape is being removed with no influences to the book itself, then I would not consider it "restoration".

Ok, what about oxidation? That's "simply removing something that has become attached to the book" too. Same with a stain. In all three cases something has been bonded to the book requiring a chemical to remove it.

Removing a stain would be restoration because you are actually altering the appearance of the book.

Removing tape doesn't alter the appearance of the book? confused.gif Huh?

Removing tape is taking something away that was not imbedded in the book in the first place.

I don't get this either. If the tape wasn't embedded in the book you wouldn't need a chemical to remove it.

But if the premise is given that ONLY the tape is being removed with no influences to the book itself, then I would not consider it "restoration". Removing a stain would be restoration because you are actually altering the appearance of the book.

"She is applying a chemical that will disolve the adhesive of the tape."

Obviously resto then, right? The adhesive is not part of the tape.

I think that it will work. As an experiment I took a bunch of 3-d books that I have found and self-pressed them in a similar manner.

The books were bagged and baorded, but had slipped in the box and ended up with a curve in the spine. i placed the books in 4 somewhat even piles, placed a flat cardboard box over those, and then placed a VERY VERY heavy dead UPS on top of the box. I left it sittting that way until my replacement UPS came and we shipped the dead one back to APC. The UPS weighed over 100 lbs and over the 2 months the curve was flattened out in both the board and the comics book. I personally do not consider this to be pressing.

If the tape could be removed without solvent I would not think that that is restoration. I usually use Magic tape on my bags, and on more than one occasion i have somehow gotten tape on a book. I have carefully removed it and no trace was left and no damage was done. Do I consider that restoration Heck NO.