• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips for buying and selling

7 posts in this topic

I wouldn't mind a post on buying and selling tips. Not only here but on ebay. I know when my scanner hit the fritz I had to troll through looking for what other folks thought might be a good scanner etc. I hope this doesn't deteriorate into whether or not Media Mail is allowed by the USPS for old comics but a forum to discuss how different folks buy and (mostly) sell.

Here's a question/scenario for anyone inclined to answer.

After I scan about 50 books the go to a folder on my hard drive with a name like

scan001.jpg scan002.jpg ....etc. Then I have to (but I hope I don't have to) go in one by one and change the file name. This is a major pain since its very easy to click on the file name and instead of being able to change the name it opens up the photo window which I then have to close etc. Yes I can right click but thats pretty inefficient too. The other problem I have is that the ".jpg" doesn't automatically come up like it used to so now I have to type it each time. A strange gremlin this one.

My old HP scanner would let me assign the name after the scan was complete but now it won't.

Anyone know a way to change the name on 50+ files that is reasonably easy to do? BTW, I sort of need to still see the thumbnail. Probably impossible but I figured I'd ask.

As a tip:

For those using Photobucket: their Flock uploader works like a charm. Just open a new Photobuck folder and drop and drag as many pictures as you want. Relatively plug and play too. It beats clicking the browse and select buttoms 40+ times.

If you are doing a lot of renaming in windows XP, use the windows explorer. Turn on "hide file types" so the ".jpg" is not displayed. Change to the slideshow view. If you click directly on the text below the icons, it will automatically go into rename mode and highlight the whole thing. And, you have a big picture on the top of the screen so you know what you are renaming.

The new photobucket uploader is OK, but unnecessary. If you use the "ftp://username:password@ftp.photobucket.com/username" url, you can do the same thing with IE.

What I want on photobucket is a mass edit to change the size of multiple scans, and a "copy" function so I can duplicate a scan without uploading it twice.

I had to build a smart little Java program that first prompts me to create a folder with specified name, picks up all the raw images, scales down the images, copies it to the new folder, and will finally FTP processed images to web server.

The tool can also rotate the image if the raw image name is prefixed with "r_" prior to processing.

The naming convention for each image is [folder name] + _1, [folder name] + _2, etc.

This process takes about 30 - 60 seconds.

I'm sure I reinvented the wheel as PhotoBucket and several other tools will suffice, but didn't take me long to build and was fun to do.

Not only here but on ebay.

There was one pinned at the top of the General Forum for years, I have no idea where it's gone to, but it was a pretty good one. A search might turn it up.

I use a program called Total Commander. I'd consider it an essential program actually.

It can multi-rename, pack files with ZIP compression, synchronize directories, etc. etc.

It can basically do an incredible amount of stuff... That's the first program I load onto a new machine actually.

http://www.ghisler.com/