• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nothing to see here.... Move along... :-)

78 posts in this topic

"If you really want a book priced at $30 or more, make me an offer that will convince me not to list it on eBay."

I think that's the line that rubs people the wrong way. It appears as if you're using the offers you get here to gauge what you should sell it for on Ebay. That may not be your intention, but it feels that way.

I see it now. Hindsight is 20/20.

I did a similar sale on the Valiant boards that went very well. The difference was that I know what I'm doing when it comes to Valiants, so I had them priced solidly. I am basically on GPA's back with these.

Anyway, it made a big difference.

Why am i not surprised this thread turned out like this sleeping.gif

My experience with him a couple months back went something like this ... i ask him about some books, he quotes prices and finds them a couple of days later. Once he does he decides to DOUBLE his asking price for no reason. He then asks to add a $2 "paypal fee".

I was told on the Valiant boards this clown is only about making money. There is no community where he is concerned. As others have said, this should be in the dealer forum.

- I will ship internationally Also, I do not play games with customs forms. The items will be properly declared at the value they are purchased for. Lastly, the items will be "overpacked". I do not leave things to chance.

893whatthe.gif

i'm out of the game here sorry.gif , do you think it's fair to pay 25 % on value ??

i've never insured any parcel and received all of them , i understand that you want to play the rules of customs but i think we pay enough incomes , i don't want to pay taxes on comics sorry.gif

i hope you'll change your mind hail.gif

I'm very sorry, I can't play games with the international stuff. I don't make the rules, I just follow them. The problems that can arise when things go bad are a strong deterrent.

I realize it costs me sales, and I don't like it, but the alternative is worse (to me anyway). I appreciate your interest and would love nothing more than to export a big box of slabs to Europe.

By the way, just so you guys don't think I'm making all this up as I go along, these guildelines appear in all my eBay listings. I have been successful in limiting problem transactions to almost nill, which is my primary goal.

I was sure of that sumo.gif

you're a french taxes collector insane.gif

My experience with him a couple months back went something like this ... i ask him about some books, he quotes prices and finds them a couple of days later. Once he does he decides to DOUBLE his asking price for no reason. He then asks to add a $2 "paypal fee".

I was told on the Valiant boards this clown is only about making money. There is no community where he is concerned. As others have said, this should be in the dealer forum.

Have you ever been to the Valiant boards? CKB is a very active member and has gone out of his way many times to help me in the past. Maybe your deal went south last time but attacking him here for a mistake is uncalled for.

893naughty-thumb.gif

Have you ever been to the Valiant boards? CKB is a very active member and has gone out of his way many times to help me in the past. Maybe your deal went south last time but attacking him here for a mistake is uncalled for.

893naughty-thumb.gif

I have been to the Valiant boards and was told this by one of the main posters there who also happens to post here. and no it's neither Greg or Stu.

893naughty-thumb.gif

I have been to the Valiant boards and was told this by one of the main posters there who also happens to post here. and no it's neither Greg or Stu.

But I'm happy to back that up -- ckb's a good seller, I think he just got a bit over-whelmed on this go-around. I, of course, would never let such a thing happen because I'm perfect! insane.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

There are lots of politics on that board, and I assume your view was skewed by someone with whom I have issues. I cannot think of anyone else who would characterize my activity in the Valiant community in such a manner. I continue to sell slabbed Valiants near my cost and well below market value. My story was told in the CGC newsletter last August, and almost all my activities in the Valiant market have been geared to build my personal registry set. I try to break even and pay for the books I keep.

I can't see why you would hold a grudge for a deal that never took place. I do not want to rehash that situation, but I'm sure that if retold without bias there would not be any issue with my actions. In a nutshell: I gave you a price for a deal, you wanted to change the deal, I wanted to change the price. I still stand by our original deal, and would honor it today. You are apparently still after the books. On top of it all we are talking about a sub-$30 deal to the UK, barely worth the trouble for any seller.

Saying I wanted to DOUBLE anything is an outright lie. But yes, paypal fees for international (and domestic!) transactions do factor into $30 deals. There is no shame in that.

Calling me a clown is an uncalled for attack, and it not appreciated. An apology is warrented.

How about the time he put up a book here as a FN+ and it looked like a GD+ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I decided to put my money where my mouth is on that one. It is at CGC right now waiting to be slabbed.

I will be anxious to post it whether or not I was right or wrong. It was an ST 110 for the record.

Well it just so happens I can be bothered if you are going to slander me:

Hey CKB,

I'm looking for the 10 issues of Zelda that Valiant published in 1990 in NM. Greg Holland who i sometimes talk to recommended that i get in touch with you? Please let me know if you can help. Thanks regardless.

Matt

Yes, I can help. I have to tell you though, "NM" needs qualification. I have books that have a chance of slabbing at 9.4, but almost certainly not higher. I have had real trouble getting raw candidates in 9.6 and above. I feel confident that I have quite a few I could sell you that are solid CGC 9.0s or higher.

If you are really looking for CGC 9.4+ candidtates, you have to get in line behind me... :-) Not for sale... For the record, the Zeldas are and Marios are harder then the Gameboy and Cap N series. And the paper cover later books are harder than the older card stocks. They are all relativele easy to acquire, with some notable exceptions, but not in very high grade.

Along with the 5 Series 1 and 2 Zelda books, there are a couple of NCS books with zelda covers. #7 I believe.

I will take stock of what I have and get back to you later tonight.

For you to think over...this is a set you might want to buy what you can find and then upgrade if you ever come across anything better. I am going to be willing to sell my 9.0 or better copies for under $5 each, so it is an inexpensive process. Buying these on eBay is not the answer. They are almost never mint.

Hey CKB,

Thanks for the quick reply and your willingness to help! That is great and i very much appreciate it. Let me know what you manage to dig out and hopefully we can do a deal.

Just to clarify with regards to the condition. Im looking for raw 9.4 books. They don't have to be 9.6/9.8 or slabbing candidates but just nice sharp copies. Obviously if you have them and 2 or 3 are lower then 9.4 that would be fine. However if their all 9.0/9.2 books then i would rather pass. I particularly try to avoid books with spine damage, even relatively inexpensive ones like these. However at the same time im not one to nitpick on every minute detail of a book like some people here! Let me know what you come up with though

If i could also quickly ask. What are "NCS" books? Are these Nintendo Magazines or something? Thanks again.

Matt

Hi there.

I have a series one numbers 2, 3, and 4 that I would call 9.4. The 5 is about 9.0-9.2. There are scans of those here:

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/ckb42/modern

I'd sell these 4 for $30.

I have a series 1 #1 that I would call about VF. It's my only non-slabbed non-variant copy at the moment, so I would like to keep it.

One the series 2, I could sell you a set, but they would be in the 4.0 to 8.0 range. I add them for $10.

Hey CKB, Thanks for getting back to me.

The scans on the four issues (series 1, #2-4) are just what i need. Shame there is no #1 and no series 2 in high grade

I'm going to do some research and see if i can find the other issues first and then get back to you. I will ask around. Perhaps someone will have the issues i need that you don't have and then i will buy them from you and the other person. I will get back to you. Thanks again.

Matt

Hey CKB,

Would it be possible to buy just #3 and #4? I would have taken #2-5 but Brother J would only sell me the #1 if i bought the #2 and #5 from him at the same time. If that is cool then please give me your paypal address and i will send payment to you.

I would like them sent to Stu or Greg if that is possible. I will include the address with payment. Thanks again.

Sure, especially if I get to send them to a US address. $27.50 is the total. Paypal to ckb42@yahoo.com.

Thanks CKB but $27.50 for two books and shipping within the States? You're price for the 4 books was $30 so it doesn't make sense. Shouldn't it be $15 + shipping? I just paid Brother J $15 + shipping for issues 1, 2 and 5. Please let me know. Thanks.

Matt

It's a matter of scale and what you are taking from me. Individually, I would price these for a show at $12, $12, $18, $7. So, you want the middle two, and I was giving you a 33% break. #4 is by far the hardest to find of the 5.

I expect you are going to pay by paypal, which from the UK adds $2 to the total. Actual cost of the shipping will be about $5.50 for the two books packed properly.

If you wanted the 4 books, it would be $38.00 with shipping. It was a package deal cause I had already pulled the books scanned them and had them ready to go.

Hope that all makes sense. It may be wise to just go ahead and buy all 4. If you were going to pay in US funds by check or MO you could take $2 off.

Wow, your kidding right? If that's how your going to be im going to pass. I mean come on, seriously, the other guy won't sell me the number 1 unless i take the 2 and the 5 and now you are penalising me for only buying the 3 and 4. Talk about unhelpful!

FYI i would have paid with cleared US funds but you are not even allowed to charge for paypal fees and seriously asking for 2 bucks just doesn't look good on you.

I think I answered again but that's all I have saved. I have nothing to hide there.

Well it just so happens I can be bothered if you are going to slander me:

Hey CKB,

I'm looking for the 10 issues of Zelda that Valiant published in 1990 in NM. Greg Holland who i sometimes talk to recommended that i get in touch with you? Please let me know if you can help. Thanks regardless.

Matt

Yes, I can help. I have to tell you though, "NM" needs qualification. I have books that have a chance of slabbing at 9.4, but almost certainly not higher. I have had real trouble getting raw candidates in 9.6 and above. I feel confident that I have quite a few I could sell you that are solid CGC 9.0s or higher.

If you are really looking for CGC 9.4+ candidtates, you have to get in line behind me... :-) Not for sale... For the record, the Zeldas are and Marios are harder then the Gameboy and Cap N series. And the paper cover later books are harder than the older card stocks. They are all relativele easy to acquire, with some notable exceptions, but not in very high grade.

Along with the 5 Series 1 and 2 Zelda books, there are a couple of NCS books with zelda covers. #7 I believe.

I will take stock of what I have and get back to you later tonight.

For you to think over...this is a set you might want to buy what you can find and then upgrade if you ever come across anything better. I am going to be willing to sell my 9.0 or better copies for under $5 each, so it is an inexpensive process. Buying these on eBay is not the answer. They are almost never mint.

Hey CKB,

Thanks for the quick reply and your willingness to help! That is great and i very much appreciate it. Let me know what you manage to dig out and hopefully we can do a deal.

Just to clarify with regards to the condition. Im looking for raw 9.4 books. They don't have to be 9.6/9.8 or slabbing candidates but just nice sharp copies. Obviously if you have them and 2 or 3 are lower then 9.4 that would be fine. However if their all 9.0/9.2 books then i would rather pass. I particularly try to avoid books with spine damage, even relatively inexpensive ones like these. However at the same time im not one to nitpick on every minute detail of a book like some people here! Let me know what you come up with though

If i could also quickly ask. What are "NCS" books? Are these Nintendo Magazines or something? Thanks again.

Matt

Hi there.

I have a series one numbers 2, 3, and 4 that I would call 9.4. The 5 is about 9.0-9.2. There are scans of those here:

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/ckb42/modern

I'd sell these 4 for $30.

I have a series 1 #1 that I would call about VF. It's my only non-slabbed non-variant copy at the moment, so I would like to keep it.

One the series 2, I could sell you a set, but they would be in the 4.0 to 8.0 range. I add them for $10.

Hey CKB, Thanks for getting back to me.

The scans on the four issues (series 1, #2-4) are just what i need. Shame there is no #1 and no series 2 in high grade

I'm going to do some research and see if i can find the other issues first and then get back to you. I will ask around. Perhaps someone will have the issues i need that you don't have and then i will buy them from you and the other person. I will get back to you. Thanks again.

Matt

Hey CKB,

Would it be possible to buy just #3 and #4? I would have taken #2-5 but Brother J would only sell me the #1 if i bought the #2 and #5 from him at the same time. If that is cool then please give me your paypal address and i will send payment to you.

I would like them sent to Stu or Greg if that is possible. I will include the address with payment. Thanks again.

Sure, especially if I get to send them to a US address. $27.50 is the total. Paypal to ckb42@yahoo.com.

Thanks CKB but $27.50 for two books and shipping within the States? You're price for the 4 books was $30 so it doesn't make sense. Shouldn't it be $15 + shipping? I just paid Brother J $15 + shipping for issues 1, 2 and 5. Please let me know. Thanks.

Matt

It's a matter of scale and what you are taking from me. Individually, I would price these for a show at $12, $12, $18, $7. So, you want the middle two, and I was giving you a 33% break. #4 is by far the hardest to find of the 5.

I expect you are going to pay by paypal, which from the UK adds $2 to the total. Actual cost of the shipping will be about $5.50 for the two books packed properly.

If you wanted the 4 books, it would be $38.00 with shipping. It was a package deal cause I had already pulled the books scanned them and had them ready to go.

Hope that all makes sense. It may be wise to just go ahead and buy all 4. If you were going to pay in US funds by check or MO you could take $2 off.

Wow, your kidding right? If that's how your going to be im going to pass. I mean come on, seriously, the other guy won't sell me the number 1 unless i take the 2 and the 5 and now you are penalising me for only buying the 3 and 4. Talk about unhelpful!

FYI i would have paid with cleared US funds but you are not even allowed to charge for paypal fees and seriously asking for 2 bucks just doesn't look good on you.

I think I answered again but that's all I have saved. I have nothing to hide there.

You forgot your final reply 2 dollar man! makepoint.gif

So you went from $5 a book each in the first PM to $27.50 for 2 books shipped within the States. Here is the final PM

That's too bad. I do not feel I'm being unreasonable. You asked me for a package price, I gave you one, you broke apart the package, no package price. It seems OK to me. I cannot speak for the other guy making you buy more than one book - I did not realize that and can't be expected to know it.

Your point about not charging for paypal fees only applies to eBay transactions. Who are you going to report me to for asking you for paypal fees on a private deal?

I often ask for paypal fees on deals around $20 and under. On eBay I figure it into the listing price.

As for asking for $2 doesn't make me look good - It's 10% of the whole deal for goodness sake!!!!! I would agree with you if it was a $100 deal, but that's a pretty large chunk of a $20 deal.

How about adjusting your attitude a bit and consider where the seller is coming from? I was doing this as a favor. Pulling the books, the scans, etc... Do you think I'm a full-time dealer? I am a hobbyist, and making $20 sales is not worth my time. I like to promote Valiant, and wanted to help you get the books you asked for. I am certainly asking you to pay a bit more for my expertise. Feel free to buy as many as you can find off eBay. Why do you think I have piles of sub-VF copies?

Look, no hard feelings, and I understand you frustration, but the price is firm. My original deal price is firm, and the modified 3 and 4 only deal price is firm. And you can take $2 off those prices for a US$ check/MO payment.

flowerred.gif

How about the time he put up a book here as a FN+ and it looked like a GD+ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I dunno about that one, all I've honestly got to go by is how many nice books I've gotten from him, slabbed and unslabbed. He's been very good about going out of his way to make me happy as a buyer. I have noticed that when ckb gets sideways with anyone, it's usually because he won't really haggle much: That's about the only knock I've heard on him on Greg's board. On the Valiant books, at least, he really does seem to price his stuff with very little wiggle room, so maybe that's why he's hesitant to move much on price.

I'm kinda surprised, I really thought that you and he would established a really good rapport or I wouldn't have recommended him so highly. confused.gif

Besides, he ships a helluva lot faster than one of those Arkansas guys. blush.gif

I dunno about that one, all I've honestly got to go by is how many nice books I've gotten from him, slabbed and unslabbed. He's been very good about going out of his way to make me happy as a buyer. I have noticed that when ckb gets sideways with anyone, it's usually because he won't really haggle much: That's about the only knock I've heard on him on Greg's board. On the Valiant books, at least, he really does seem to price his stuff with very little wiggle room, so maybe that's why he's hesitant to move much on price.

I'm kinda surprised, I really thought that you and he would established a really good rapport or I wouldn't have recommended him so highly. confused.gif

Besides, he ships a helluva lot faster than one of those Arkansas guys. blush.gif

Now you Stu are my hero hail.gif