• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos to Metro

15 posts in this topic

I know that many of us buy from Metro due to the immense inventory they have. I also know that people love to bash Metro due to some of their rules and sometime inaccurate grading. I've also seen threads about their poor customer service. I thought I would share a great customer service account with you... just to be fair...

Late last night I'm cruising around the internet when an e-mail pops up from Metro stating that one of my "want list" books has popped up. Usually this is one of the ones that I put on a looooong time ago and have since pushed lower on the list. This time it was a Wings #90 (for those not familiar a pic is posted below). Now I already have a copy of this book, but it is only a VG/VG+. The one listed on Metro's site was listed as 6.0 Fine 3" scrape/tear fc. To me it sounded like the 3" scrape/tear was what took it down to a 6.0. Works for me as I'm always looking to improve that issue, but never see it for sale. I snatched it up.

This afternoon I got an e-mail from Metro (Dave Bowen to be exact) stating that they had processed my order, but when they did they again noticed the scrape/tear and wanted to confirm with me that I understood the defect. Basically it boiled down to it being a 6.0 if not for the scrape/tear. In the same e-mail they stated that they wanted to know if it was acceptable before they sent it out to me. The defect would take it down to at least the same level as the one I already have so I passed. I got a quick reply thanking me for the response; that the order had been reversed; and a thank you for shopping with them.

That... to me... is customer service. I wasn't spending $1000 plus dollars on a book, but I got the same customer service as someone who was. After the thread about SS's Sub-Mariner experience in which people accused Metro of not treating their lower paying customers as well as their BSD's I thought it appropriate to show that they do treat the little guy with just as much respect.

Thank you to Steve, Vincent, and Dave from Metro. You've definitely show respect for me and have gained my trust in anything I buy from you in the future thumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

example of Wings 90

wings090.jpg

Maybe we should start a thread about positive Metro experiences?

I was thinking that there should be a thread to talk about an unusually positive buying experiences from any dealer The exchange of info both positive.as well as negative is always constructive to buyers.

That... to me... is customer service. I wasn't spending $1000 plus dollars on a book, but I got the same customer service as someone who was. After the thread about SS's Sub-Mariner experience in which people accused Metro of not treating their lower paying customers as well as their BSD's I thought it appropriate to show that they do treat the little guy with just as much respect.

Thank you to Steve, Vincent, and Dave from Metro. You've definitely show respect for me and have gained my trust in anything I buy from you in the future thumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

I would like to second that. I complained in the other thread that my most recent order took over a month to receive. Vincent PM'd me yesterday wanting to find out exactly what happened. I very much appreciate the fact that he took the time to do that, especially since I am very much small potatoes compared to many people here (most of the books I buy are under $500). Money-wise I am not even a blip on their radar, so they could have just ignored me and not thought twice about it. Kudos to Vincent for taking time to make sure even their smalltime customers are satisfied. thumbsup2.gif

Edit: And let me add that Dave was very communicative and helpful in getting to the bottom of the issue that caused the delay in the first place (internet problems on Metro's end). Thanks Dave! thumbsup2.gif

I was thinking that there should be a thread to talk about an unusually positive buying experiences from any dealer

Good idea (something like this?):

Positives the past month:

1) Doug Schmell from Pedigree Comics (FL) - Prompt communication, integrity, and great service. If they had more GA, I'd be spending a ton of with them.

2) Brian Peets from A-1 Comics (CA) - a real stand up guy, very reasonable and fair in his grading and pricing, integrity. Will be doing more business with.

Negatives the past month (I won't mention any names to avoid starting a food fight):

1) Straight purchase of an expensive "unrestored" book that turned out to be obviously reglossed.

2) Auction purchase of a book that had a significant defect (major mouse chew) on the back cover that went undisclosed.

3) Auction purchase of a book that the seller shipped out to another customer.

4) Straight purchase of a pedigree book that had large corner chunks missing from its interior (only "siamese pages" was disclosed).

The exchange of info both positive.as well as negative is always constructive to buyers.

Agreed - I'd like to note that I've had much better luck working with private collectors than I have with dealers....who generally still have a long way to go in the Customer Service, Grading, and Pricing departments, IMHO.

STEVE

I've bought 4 or 5 books from Metro and have been happy with each experience. Fed-Ex lost the cheapest book (around $25) and when I called Frank & told him about it, he was genuinly irritated with Fed-Ex. He didn't just say "oh well" because it wasn't a big-ticket item. He immediately shipped a replacement book to me. thumbsup2.gif

1) Doug Schmell from Pedigree Comics (FL) - Prompt communication, integrity, and great service. If they had more GA, I'd be spending a ton of with them.

I'll back that up... I just got my low grade A-MAN #9, and it was packed better than any book i've ever seen. Also, considering the book had to get up to Canada, it arrived amazingly fast.

Doug also let me secure the bid on the A-MAN #5 on his site, and is very casual about when i make the first payment... he said I could have about a month if I needed. This allowed me to have piece of mind that the book isn't going anywhere, and will let me scrape some cash together.

Re: Metro, aside from one small glitch (a sales tax issue), I have been totally happy with their service. Frank is a pleasure to deal with.

Doug also let me secure the bid on the A-MAN #5 on his site, and is very casual about when i make the first payment... he said I could have about a month if I needed. This allowed me to have piece of mind that the book isn't going anywhere, and will let me scrape some cash together.

Wow, good for you Ryan! I was so tempted (I don't own an A-MAN 5) - glad to hear the book is going to you.

Maybe I should re-consider Metro in this post-Ed era

Michael, I hadn't done any business with Metro for about a dozen years but recently picked up several nice items (e.g., More Fun 20, Planet 10) from them and we have a possible trade still in the works.

Might be worth a try...

STEVE

If you want the Impossible books I always look to Metro.

From things as rare as Famous Funnies Series 1, New Fun 1 and 6.,... Action 1s on multiple ocassions and Detective # 27.Metro has found me all of these books and so much more.Ive known them for 20 years so my experience with them is vast.Its all been good.

I have been buying from Metro since 1996. When I first started buying from them, they would actually send me books to look at without me paying for them. They sent me two Detective 44s once so I could pick whick one I wanted. I have disagreed on their grading but always been able to return the book. I have started considering reverting back to buying raw and they are one of the places I was considering do business with ...