• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours ! ( secret hiding places, that is )

12 posts in this topic

C'mon guys.....somewhere in your house is where you keep your GOOD stuff.....hidden and protected from the elements for all of eternity...the comics you will never sell, and your kids will never get because they are are too rare and valuable! My "good stuff" is kept in this 455 pound fireproof safe in my basement, and includes 2 different moisture control systems, seen towards the front of the pic. I've shown you mine.....let's see yours !!!

(P.S. I have more books than this...this is just 1 drawyer, of 1 safe..you get the picture )

1481640-safe.jpg

1481640-safe.jpg.63928cf3a33cd5d6ebf44de50b8b7dc4.jpg

Fireproof safes are a no-no, I thought. confused-smiley-013.gif Didn't you see the thread about what happened to the staples on BronzeBruce's CGC 9.8 copy of Hulk #182 in his fireproof safe?

I have 2 different levels of mositure control...they most likely had zero

Fireproof safes are a no-no, I thought. confused-smiley-013.gif Didn't you see the thread about what happened to the staples on BronzeBruce's CGC 9.8 copy of Hulk #182 in his fireproof safe?

I like the Matrix a little too, but go back to the Egyptian avatar! It fits you perfectly. I changed mine for about an hour and the feedback was to switch back to Spock. So I did. Now you can too.

I like the Matrix a little too, but go back to the Egyptian avatar! It fits you perfectly. I changed mine for about an hour and the feedback was to switch back to Spock. So I did. Now you can too.

I agree. There can be only one!

Allright, allright....here, it's back. That switch was your fault Bill. After you won the "best avatar" in the 'Boards Awards' thread, it triggered the competitive streak in me I and I was trying to dethrone you...I humbly admit defeat! tongue.gif

on a seperate note Bill...help me out here please? Will you post a pic of your secret hiding place for your best stuff?....this vodka induced insane.gif new thread of mine is not doing so well. boo.gif....I need a little help! flowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gif

Allright, allright....here, it's back. That switch was your fault Bill. After you won the "best avatar" in the 'Boards Awards' thread, it triggered the competitive streak in me I and I was trying to dethrone you...I humbly admit defeat! tongue.gif

on a seperate note Bill...help me out here please? Will you post a pic of your secret hiding place for your best stuff?....this vodka induced insane.gif new thread of mine is not doing so well. boo.gif....I need a little help! flowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gif

Thanks for bringing the avatar back!!!

I really don't have a secret hiding place for the good stuff. My books are just in magazine boxes in my study, so I can get at them quickly when I want to refer to them or just look at them.

The only stuff I hide are the slabbed Valiants. Those are hidden in a secret drawer in my desk.

OK, but what if that extreme corrosion was caused by something other than moisture? This is a chance I wouldn't be taking with rare books. If there's a fire, your fire safe is going to ruin the books anyway. May as well just keep the books in a regular safe, or at a safety deposit box at the bank if you're worried about a home fire.

FFB,

I was under the impression that the key to rust is H2O. Is there something else that causes it? I am aware that there are ways to encourage it (abrasion, chemical exposure etc) but I thought that steel or iron only rust when finally exposed to an oxidizing agent espescially humidity and moisture.

Wouldn't a chemical corrosion appear different from a ferrous bloom? If so would it not be feesable to control the environment of a safe by dehumidifying the surrounding atmosphere allowing an open safe to equalize shutting it and maintaining said control.(Provided it does not have a moisture releasing fire proofing)

I thought that Bruce had one of those little sentry safes that are about the same size as a slab box, no humidity control, and a nice place in NJ. Sounds like moisture to me. That paricular safe(if I am not mistaken) also had a note to the effect of open frequently as moisture may build up because of the fire resistant materials used. I believe Bruce didn't open it for long durations. (Check my facts as there may be a mistake)

Here is some info for you about sentry fire safes(I believe Steve B pointed out that the 2 or 3 cases of Staple destruction reported to CGC all came out of collections stored in Sentry Safes) and why Bruce may have lost his Staples:

(From the Sentry Website on their patented fireproofing system): It appears to be called

Survivicast Note: This is in no way definative or meant to bad mouth sentry as I believe they distinctly note that rust may occur from improper use or the storage of the wrong items in their product which I am told is very secure for jewelry that doesn't corrode.

The patented insulation contains encapsulated moisture which is released during a fire and dissipates, keeping the safe's interior cool and below the temperature at which paper chars.

During the fire, contents stay safe because heat stays out.

Insulation contains encapsulated moisture for extra cooling and helps keep flames out.

In a fire, moisture in the insulation is vented to dissipate heat.

Documents and valuables inside remain intact and unharmed.

Sentry Info

Here is where I will begin to hypothesize again. I would think that if this material stores moisture that it is releasing it to a noteable degree even when there is no fire. Therefore I believe that the safe caused the rust because of the moisture stored in all 5 of its walls and its door + the humidity of Jersey (Check that location for accuracy in the Safes thread).

Does that change your mind any or am I totally off base. Anyone with more info may want to chime in here.

-CW

If there's a fire, your fire safe is going to ruin the books anyway. May as well just keep the books in a regular safe, or at a safety deposit box at the bank if you're worried about a home fire.

I disagree,

I believe that the proper safe can prevent most destruction if the fire is extinguished in a timely manner. For example: I use a 1300lb Fire safe. It was designed as a gun safe and is slightly taller than myself (6'2"). This safe uses a fire resistant material called rock wool. Rock wool is a mineral that retards heat (Granted 2 years from now we may be talking about how rock wool destroys books but we may find out the same thing about anything used in the storage process for a relatively short period). Unlike the sentry material it doesn't release moisture. It simply provides a barrier. The design of the safe is such that it has an outer shell of steel a thick layer of rock wool all around and then an inner liner of steel. The door is not airtight in normal use but has a hard rubber material lined around the edges. When exposed to the right temperature this material expands like caulking and sets up resulting in a water and smoke barrier. In actual house fires with this model of safe, guns wrapped in thin plastic sandwich bags showed no signs of the plastic warping. I don't know if you have ever exposed one of these bags to heat but they tend to warp and shrivel up at fairly low temperatures of heat as compared to other materials.

Therefore I agree that there are many unknowns and risks but I feel the safety provided by a good safe can come with less risks than you might think and I also disagree with the statement that "If there's a fire, your fire safe is going to ruin the books anyway" There may be some damage but I feel there may also be books that come out strong. The alternative for home storage is to leave them out where a crook or fire will absolutely take them if the instance arises.

My 2 cents

-CW