• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you resub these books?

21 posts in this topic

I'm a first time poster to these boards.I'm looking for some advice on two books graded by PGX. I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile to submit these to CGC for regrading. Also, if I do it, what is the best and most cost-effective way to do so? The books are both worth around $250 - $300 in their current grades. First, I have a Silver Surfer #1 PGX 8.0 . Here is the front cover scan.

scan.jpg

Question 1: Looking at the scan, can anyone estimate how good my changes are to get a slightly higher grade from CGC than I did from PGX on this book? I can see for myself that the book is not higher than a 9.0. However, if I could get a 9.0, I would be thrilled. If I could get an 8.5, I would be happy. Second, I have an ASM #20 PGX 6.5 . One nice thing about this book is that when I submitted it I remember that the cover was very glossy and attractive. I was expecting a better grade. The top edge and the stress lines on the spine probably bring the grade down, but I still would have expected a 7.0 or 7.5 .

spidey20.jpg

In both cases, a 0.5 improvement would make it worth it for me. From a financial perspective, I wouldn't gain much. However, just owning a higher grade book does mean something to me. Hopefully, I don't need to explain that here.One last question, do I have to crack the case to submit them to CGC? If so, could I send the books in their inner case?Thanks in advance,CycleGirl

It's impossible to tell whether you'll get an upgrade on the Silver Surfer because (a) you can't see the back cover and (b) a scan is not a good thing to use to judge whether a book could be undergraded. Just from the wear I can see, I think 8.5 is your best bet, but it is by no means a certainty (or even a probable outcome) that you'll get any upgrade at all.

There is no way you're going to get even a 6.5 (let alone a higher grade) on the Amazing Spider-Man #20 from CGC. That book is overgraded by at least one grade level, and possibly two or more. PGX is lousy at grading mid-grade books. They constantly overgrade them.

Agreed. There is now way to tell from the FC only. In my opinion the SS #1 looks like an 8.0 to me.

The Spiderman book looks like they were generous with the grade. You have a fairly large impact dent along with edge wear.

I'll disagree with the Surfer. I don't think it's even a VF. It's horribly miscut has a clear corner creas on lower right hand front cover, a chip off top of spine, some spine wear etc. Be happy with the 8.0

The Spidey 20 probably does have good color and shininess on the front cover but has bad dings and too much wear to consider sending it to CGC. It's probably going to come back from them 5.5 or 6.o at best

The SS #1 at an 8.0 is about as good as it'll get with the crease in the LR corner and the spine on square bounds gets tough in high grade. Be happy with the 8.0 and the ASM #20 is over graded, not only due to the impact dents on both corners but the huge colour breaking crease that runs thru the U R corner thru the entire title.

I have to say the ASM is not a FINE+ 6.5 in my book....FN- maybe with that large upper right corner color breaking crease.

The SS is borderline, but with Tan pages, not worth a resub.

I find that the other guys grade the bronze age 8.5 and higher a step harsher than CGC. but as FFB stated, poorly on the mid to lower grade books. I had a Hulk 5 that I graded a solid VG+ or VG/FN that came back from the other company a solid Fine. It had a color breaking crease easily 3" long on the bottom right corner but was an otherwise beautiful copy. PGX does not grade the long color breaking creases as harsh as CGC or per the old sub crease rule of VG/FN max.

I would buy a PGX books in 8.5 and 9.0 for resub, but never a lower grade book.

I thought I heard somewhere that CGC has a policy as of the newer label that books with light tan or worse pages couldn't get higher than an 8.5. Anybody know anything about that?

I would crack out the SS for two reasons. First, it has little to no added value encapsulated by PGX, particularly with the tan pages notation. Second, you can inspect the book yourself to judge whether it is worth a CGC sub. I'd especially focus on page quality. I'd bet the book is really no worse than a c/ow, or cream at the very worst - the front cover colors don't have the toasted appearance one might expect of a book with tan pages, plus it is very uncommon for 1968 Marvels to have page quality worse than c/ow.

Structurally, it looks to me like an 8.0. Still, the book would increase a fair amount in value simply by being in a CGC case with a c/ow page designation. Crack it out and let us know how the pages look. thumbsup2.gif

I have to say the ASM is not a FINE+ 6.5 in my book....FN- maybe with that large upper right corner color breaking crease.

The SS is borderline, but with Tan pages, not worth a resub.

I find that the other guys grade the bronze age 8.5 and higher a step harsher than CGC. but as FFB stated, poorly on the mid to lower grade books. I had a Hulk 5 that I graded a solid VG+ or VG/FN that came back from the other company a solid Fine. It had a color breaking crease easily 3" long on the bottom right corner but was an otherwise beautiful copy. PGX does not grade the long color breaking creases as harsh as CGC or per the old sub crease rule of VG/FN max.

I would buy a PGX books in 8.5 and 9.0 for resub, but never a lower grade book.

I agree with this 100%.

I'd have no hesitation buying PGX 8.5 or better. Their 6.0 - 7.0 books can be a bit shaky however and I've seen plenty of PGX 6.0s with long creases.

You probably dodged a bullet with the ASM. Granted, the corner creases isn't very heavy and it goes through some light areas so it's not as prominent as it could be, but CGC would hammer the book for that crease... 5.0, maybe 5.5 at best.

(FWIW, I think PGX is too easy on midgrade books and CGC is too tough on midgrade books, but that's a discussion for another thread. grin.gif)

I would crack out the SS for two reasons. First, it has little to no added value encapsulated by PGX, particularly with the tan pages notation. Second, you can inspect the book yourself to judge whether it is worth a CGC sub. I'd especially focus on page quality. I'd bet the book is really no worse than a c/ow, or cream at the very worst - the front cover colors don't have the toasted appearance one might expect of a book with tan pages, plus it is very uncommon for 1968 Marvels to have page quality worse than c/ow.

Structurally, it looks to me like an 8.0. Still, the book would increase a fair amount in value simply by being in a CGC case with a c/ow page designation. Crack it out and let us know how the pages look. thumbsup2.gif

Okay, I cracked it. A first for me. At this point, I'm curious enough to go through with the sub to CGC just for the sake of the experiment. The pages are a little dark near the edges, but I wouldn't say "TAN"... would you?

Here it is

surfer1.jpg

surfer2.jpg

That looks like textbook Cream to Off-White to me. Definitely not Tan. foreheadslap.gif

Okay, I cracked it. A first for me. At this point, I'm curious enough to go through with the sub to CGC just for the sake of the experiment. The pages are a little dark near the edges, but I wouldn't say "TAN"... would you?

Here it is

surfer1.jpg

surfer2.jpg

Are the pages flexible and supple or is there a bit of stiffness to them?

To me, they look cream, but if there was a hint of brittleness, I could understand a light tan designation.

BTW, I received a LIGHT TAN designation from PGX years ago which I don't agree with. The inside of the cover had a toning halo, but the pages were fine. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's a semantic thing - what I used to refer to as "light tanning at edge(s)", is often refered to as "cream" these days, though if I had any real cream that color, I'd through it out. I'd never heard the term "cream pages" before CGC, and I guess it's just a way of making "light tanning to pages" sound better. Much the same as "yellowed pages" has now become "off-white".

Welcome Cycle Girl..........

glad to see that you followed Bob's sound advice and broke this baby out.

from a financial perspective you will do better now even if the grade dropped half point. from a collecting perspective, getting the proper PQ designated is a good feeling...................

i think you might still pull an 8.0 from CGC......... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

and although it's already been said to death, that big color breaking corner crease, really pulls the spidey below the assigned grade of 6.5............. frown.gif