• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.9 HULK #181 "The One and ONLY" is going to San Diego Comic Con!

91 posts in this topic

UPDATE:

Our booth number for the Comic Con has changed. The new booth number is:

Booth #5330

The booth will be a corner booth and it will be to the right of the B2 Entrance along the wall. We hope that this has not cause any confusion and we look forward to meeting everyone.

Bryce Iwamoto

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

This is a forum isn't it?? We are not offering these books for immediate sale but making an announcement that we are bringing them to Comic Con to launch our new sales campaign. Is it not correct to list my announcements in the forum and let everyone know what we are doing??

Bryce

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

Hey Bryce,

My belief, the investor of the Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 9.9, next to impossible of considering to sell his "precious." But for curiosity sake, how much would it take for the investor to let it go? Even just a wild guess!!!!

Hey Bryce,

My belief, the investor of the Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 9.9, next to impossible of considering to sell his "precious." But for curiosity sake, how much would it take for the investor to let it go? Even just a wild guess!!!!

That's a tough question. In the past couple of months we have received two serious offers for the 9.9. One offer was a set of Hulk 180, 181, 182 all graded in 9.8 along with cash and the other offer was for $60k cash. The owner of the 9.9 turned down both of the offers. We have no clue what he wants for the book but we relay any and all serious offers.

Bryce

Ideal Collectables

www.ideal808.com

This thread got me thinking about a few things....

1) Do you have to carry insurance for the investors book, I mean what if something happened to it in transit?

2) How does CGC charge for this book. I wonder if the slabbing was based on fair market value, IE a walkthru, or was it an Express $4,000 limit. Because if it was a walkthru, meaning they applied more value to it as it was a 9.9, then they would have had to establish FMV right?

Anyway good luck at the auction, I have purchased off IdealCollectables before including 2 of my slabs and I have to say for one of the larger dealers I was extremely impressed with the service communication and especially shipping and handling. They charged me a fair price to ship and for once I beleive I got what I paid for. IE they packed well and received my item in a timely fashion. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I do concur that 60,000 for the books is bonkers, buy some real estate.

That is just plain crazy. Whoever offered the 180-182 9.8 set + cash must be out of his mind to give up all that for .1 "difference." insane.gif The 60K is even worse 27_laughing.gif

He'll be wishing he took the 60k after CGC grades another 9.9 or 10. 893frustrated.gif

That is just plain crazy. Whoever offered the 180-182 9.8 set + cash must be out of his mind to give up all that for .1 "difference." insane.gif The 60K is even worse 27_laughing.gif

He'll be wishing he took the 60k after CGC grades another 9.9 or 10. 893frustrated.gif

I think I'd rather have a JIM 83 9.4 or a ASM 1 9.4 or a VG detective 27 for 60K than a Hulk 181...I'd rather have a 9.6 than a 9.9 and buy other stuff with the cash instead

I love how judgemental everyone is being just because someone offered $60K for a Hulk 181. "Go buy some real estate" WHY? Maybe the guy is a multi millionaire and another piece of real estate is meaningless to him. And for everyone else that says "Well, I'd rather have this book or that book instead of the Hulk" So what? Just because YOU would rather have another book doesn't make it the right choice for everyone. Point being, you don't know his situation or motivation so quit hating just because he has $60 grand to blow on a comic book. 893frustrated.gif

I believe the point people are making is this is where the point where multiples begin to break down. Hulk 181 goes something like

9.2 - 1,300

9.4 - 2,300

9.6 - 4,300

9.8 - 17,300

9.9 - 63,300

(The 300's were used for a round # tongue.gif)

If you look at that spread.. the jump for ONE POINT, is ridiculous. At this point you ARE buying the label when you're paying a 46,000 dollar difference for something you can't even see. Given the subjectability.. who's to say one of those 9.8's couldn't be resubmitted as a 9.9 or the 9.9 resubmitted as a 9.8? Now it's doubtful anyone would be "smart" (or stupid) enough to do this b/c of the $ at stake but it doesn't change the point that a 9.9 isn't ALWAYS going to be a 9.9 and a 9.8 isn't ALWAYS going to be a 9.8.

Brian

You're right, he's buying the label. But so what? If that makes him happy and he's got the cash to do it why are people saying it's crazy or stupid or a bad choice? Will he ever be able to resell for that kind of money? Maybe but probably not likely. However maybe he never plans on reselling. Perhaps he'll take the book to his grave. All I'm saying is, people are making value judgements about someone elses collecting without knowing the situation. Someone brought up the point that as soon as another Hulk 181 is graded a 9.9 or 10 this one will be devalued so why spend that kind of cash. Really? Like I said this guy may just want to OWN the book. There is no guarantee that another will be graded a 9.9 or 10. IF another achieves that grade it could be 5, 6 years down the line and may never be available for sale.

I have no problem with someone who wants to own a unique book and never plans on parting with it. The thing that bothers me is the notion that he will consign it to be shopped around and not accept any offers. It would be similar to putting it on e-bay with a 99,000,000 reserve price. If you were never going to sell then why bother. If your intention is to make collectors oooh and aahh at your book then develop a website to showcase it. Or at the very least put a disclaimer that it is not for sale.

I love how judgemental everyone is being just because someone offered $60K for a Hulk 181. "Go buy some real estate" WHY? Maybe the guy is a multi millionaire and another piece of real estate is meaningless to him. And for everyone else that says "Well, I'd rather have this book or that book instead of the Hulk" So what? Just because YOU would rather have another book doesn't make it the right choice for everyone. Point being, you don't know his situation or motivation so quit hating just because he has $60 grand to blow on a comic book. 893frustrated.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Buncha haters, all a ya's...

I have no problem with someone who wants to own a unique book and never plans on parting with it. The thing that bothers me is the notion that he will consign it to be shopped around and not accept any offers. It would be similar to putting it on e-bay with a 99,000,000 reserve price. If you were never going to sell then why bother. If your intention is to make collectors oooh and aahh at your book then develop a website to showcase it. Or at the very least put a disclaimer that it is not for sale.

Deathlok - what if it is for sale, just that $60K is not the right price? Maybe he is shopping it around for the best price. If he can get someone to buy it for $100K, why settle for $60K today? Maybe the 2 winners of the Powerball yesterday (taking home $130 million) is a comic collector and a diehard Wolverine fan who now will pay $100 K for it - all these variables...maybe Ideal gets some advertising oout of it. Those going to San Diego may just go to their booth to see this Hulk 181 9.9, either to marvel at it or discredit it, but still at the Ideal booth - smart move on their part IMO. smile.gif

Deathlok - what if it is for sale, just that $60K is not the right price? Maybe he is shopping it around for the best price. If he can get someone to buy it for $100K, why settle for $60K today? Maybe the 2 winners of the Powerball yesterday (taking home $130 million) is a comic collector and a diehard Wolverine fan who now will pay $100 K for it - all these variables...maybe Ideal gets some advertising oout of it. Those going to San Diego may just go to their booth to see this Hulk 181 9.9, either to marvel at it or discredit it, but still at the Ideal booth - smart move on their part IMO. smile.gif

True, there are a lot of factors that go into a decision about a book of this value. However it just seems as if the owner just likes having his book shown about and doesn't intend to sell. Which is fine, but misleading. I'm sure Ideal is getting a huge amount of promotion out of it, which it could be their idea to flash the book. I'm sure they will get a whole lot of people just to see the book.

...but $43,000 for one tenth of 1 point!!! For a book that if cracked out of its CGC holder would most likely be indistinguishable from the 52+ other copies of Hulk 181 graded 9.6 or better!!! There are some nice looking 9.6s I've seen that outstrip the two 181s both graded 9.8 each, with their extreme cover shifts.

Then, you have to consider the advent of more 9.9 Hulk 181s being graded. It isn't likely that it will happen anytime soon but there is a co-efficient factor to consider. What if the Hulk 181 graded 9.9 isn't owned by someone who has enough clout to be assured that CGC will not duplicate "his" 9.9 grade for someone else's 181?

In that case another 181 in 9.9 could possibly be graded sooner than later, and put up on the block greatly deflating the one existing 9.9 being shopped around for a "victim" buyer at present.

If I had a buyer at $50,000.00, I'd hand deliver it, and leave with $20,000.00 more than the book is worth...unless I had some assurances from CGC themselves that no further grades of 9.9 would be entertained for any future submissions on 181s!

You're missing the point. It's NOT all about MONEY. It's a matter of perspective. Say for example you did just win 130 million dollars. What's 60K to you? Especially if you're looking to buy and never sell it again. The odds of another 9.9 or 10 coming up for sale on the open market anytime soon are very much against you even IF(big IF) one gets graded that high. If he just wants to OWN the book, having NO interest in investment value then I don't see how other people can make a judgement about how he chooses to spend his money. I agree that the figure is astronomical and the monetary value is probably unrecoverable, but everyone is transfixed by it's monetary value which is narrow-minded.

...but $43,000 for one tenth of 1 point!!! For a book that if cracked out of its CGC holder would most likely be indistinguishable from the 52+ other copies of Hulk 181 graded 9.6 or better!!! There are some nice looking 9.6s I've seen that outstrip the two 181s both graded 9.8 each, with their extreme cover shifts.

Once again, it's where that one tenth of a point is in the spectrum - you are entering the range of 9.9 - 10.0 where it is the realm of the BEST COPY ever and where all the "label" shoppers, elite high grade collectors, status-obsessive, and diehard collectors with money all play in the same sandbox. It may be indistiguishable to you or me with the naked eye, but made enough of a difference to 3 independent graders to average out and grant this a higher grade than a 9.6 or 9.8; I can agree with you that some 9.6's may look better than 9.8 especially with the off centered covers; however whose to say that what made those 9.6s what they are was structural integrity over the aesthetic appeal?

Then, you have to consider the advent of more 9.9 Hulk 181s being graded. It isn't likely that it will happen anytime soon but there is a co-efficient factor to consider. What if the Hulk 181 graded 9.9 isn't owned by someone who has enough clout to be assured that CGC will not duplicate "his" 9.9 grade for someone else's 181? In that case another 181 in 9.9 could possibly be graded sooner than later, and put up on the block greatly deflating the one existing 9.9 being shopped around for a "victim" buyer at present.

This is not a valid factor. For it to be even considered a factor, we must all buy into the conspiracy theory that there is collusion between the big players in the comic industry and CGC to fill a quota of grades conducive to maximizing sales potential. I guess it depends who you talk to. I'd like to think (and actually have faith in) the integrity of CGC's graders and not being able to be bought. If there is another Hulk 181 CGC 9.9 out there, I'm thinking there are no other outlying influences that would keep it from getting the label it deserved.

If I had a buyer at $50,000.00, I'd hand deliver it, and leave with $20,000.00 more than the book is worth...unless I had some assurances from CGC themselves that no further grades of 9.9 would be entertained for any future submissions on 181s!

Once again, it is from your perspective (and many others, probably including mine, were I the owner) and your estimation of the 9.9's "worth". As for the assurances, I wouldn't count on that anytime soon.

So back in reality-land what happens when your lottery winner is broke a few years down the road after frivolously spending all his winnings buying cgc 9.9 ultiamtes and Hulk 181s and keeping up his posses and he needs to sell some books to buy food? I read some stats somewhere and an unbelievable amount of lottery winners end up broke and committing suicide! So who else would really be eligible or liable to buy this book for $60k plus? If it is someone with real money like Geppi or Brulato I don't think they got to have real money by spending it frivolously. Most wealthy people aren't that frivolous. Maybe rock stars and sports people and the instantly rich are but I think most wealthy people are fairly conservative. And there are far better investments around than a $60k copy of a book that with thousands of very high grade copies around. Sure Wolverine is popular etc but popul;arity and true rarity come together to create high book prices. Case in point the guy who paid $165k for that Spidey 1 9.6 - and later sold for $80k. Maybe he intended to keep it forever or just had to have the highest grade #1, but when he got in a pinch, it did not work out so well. I think pretty much anyone buying expensive books buys out of love of the books and memories but also for investment. Denying the investment part of it is naive and just pretense. If you are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a book, you want to think you can at least get what you paid back out of it. i don't care how much money you have, nobody I know likes just throwing money away. That's why I think it is best to avoid paying crazy multiples for so-called rare high grade books. CGC is still too new to say these multiples will endure and in some aspects they are not. But it seems safe as long as you are paying something based on Overstreet - whether it is 1.5 guide or double guide- I think it gets a lot more risky when you satrt paying in the 8x guide range or so. Thos eprices seem totslly detached from guides or anything else. So I guess whoever wants to spend that much for a Hulk 181 is a gambler or has a high threshold for risk. and with a book like this it is hard to say he would buy it to have something unique as there are so many high grade copies that look alike. Chances are more 9.8s and 9.9s will pop up soon.