• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where can I hear offers?

21 posts in this topic

I'm not in desperate need of money, but more is always nicer, no?

I have a (major) grail peice that I've been debating whether or not to sell. The problem is I have no idea about how much it would go for, since I bought it for a fraction of it's probable value. The author of the book it's from has expressed interest in it, but we haven't talked numbers. I'd like to hear what some people might offer for it, but not be commited to selling it since I've not made the decision that I want to. I have one friend who is insistant that I keep it, and I also feel the decent thing to do would be to sell it to the author since he is good people..

The other problem is I have no experience with large transactions, so I wouldn't know how best to go about it securely anyway.

Any recommendations from high end collectors?

Well, you could post in on CAF and then create a thread here and on Comicart-l letting people know that it is potentially available for the right offer.

Or you could list it on eBay (possibly with a high reserve to generate interest even if it doesn't sell).

well, anyone interested can feel free to make some

I am sure alot of folks would love to make an offer.

Before they do they will probably want to know:

1) Title of the Issue this is from.

2) Issue number this is from

3) Exactly what the piece is (Cover, pinup, back cover, etc.)

4) Penciller

5) Inker

6) Any other credits of people that worked on the piece

7) Size of the Art itself

8) Size of the paper the art is on

9) Being that it is framed the overall framed size

10) Any issues people should know about (stats, damage, anything else that might add or subtract from the piece's value)

If you can post all that info I am sure people will be even more interested in the piece.

Chris

well, anyone interested can feel free to make some

I am sure alot of folks would love to make an offer.

Before they do they will probably want to know:

1) Title of the Issue this is from.

2) Issue number this is from

3) Exactly what the piece is (Cover, pinup, back cover, etc.)

4) Penciller

5) Inker

6) Any other credits of people that worked on the piece

7) Size of the Art itself

8) Size of the paper the art is on

9) Being that it is framed the overall framed size

10) Any issues people should know about (stats, damage, anything else that might add or subtract from the piece's value)

If you can post all that info I am sure people will be even more interested in the piece.

Chris

Pardon, I thought it would have been more or less obvious to most persons. This is basicly the key image from Identity Crisis, drawn once and reproduced throughout the series (often with a shattered glass effect, I presume added by computer). Rags Morales is the artist, Michael Bair is the inker (although he lightboxed his inks for this peice, so it's pencils. Michael still has his inks) and Brad Meltzer was the author. This was used as the cover for the third printing of issue #1, along with the bookstore cover for the collected edition, and used in nearly all the promotional ads. It's drawn on a normal DC art page, but the image is much smaller. I don't have measurements, but at a rough estimate, the artwork itself is maybe 10"x6", something like that. The pencils are VERY tight.

The page itself is in good shape, though not mint obviously, as I recalled, I'll have to take it out of the frame to inspect. Below the image the page is signed by Brad Meltzer, Rags Morales, and Mike Bair

41881697714.1.3RD.PRINT.GIF

41881886329.1.BOOKMARKET.GIF

Pardon, I thought it would have been more or less obvious to most persons. This is basicly the key image from Identity Crisis, drawn once and reproduced throughout the series (often with a shattered glass effect, I presume added by computer). Rags Morales is the artist, Michael Bair is the inker (although he lightboxed his inks for this peice, so it's pencils. Michael still has his inks) and Brad Meltzer was the author. This was used as the cover for the third printing of issue #1, along with the bookstore cover for the collected edition, and used in nearly all the promotional ads. It's drawn on a normal DC art page, but the image is much smaller. I don't have measurements, but at a rough estimate, the artwork itself is maybe 10"x6", something like that. The pencils are VERY tight.

Thanks for the info. I agree that most people would have known it was from ID Crisis, and I think your title mentioned that somewhere. The other information, like that these are the original pencils only and not inks and the size of the piece are things only you and the artists (or anyone who held the piece in their hands) would know and I really appreciate you mentioning it here...it really fleshes out what we are looking at.

Also that it was the third printing cover is something I did not know. I knew I saw it on the collected edition, but I could not remember where else I saw it.

Looks nice on the wall.

Chris

The broken glass image was added and is not on the published art itself. For this image, the pencils were blown up and inked much larger than the original pencils. The cover images were shot from the inked version which Mike still has. I have seen a number of pages with Rags' raw pencils and must say they are some of the most beautiful pencils I have ever seen. I'm biased because both Mike and Rags are friends, but I think they produced some of the most outstanding work together over the last few years.

Beautiful piece. If you're not interested in the eBay route, and you don't think a best-selling author will provide enough coin, you might query one of the auction houses for their opinion. I'm told that Don Mangus of Heritage Galleries does appraisals; I'm not making a recommendation, I'm just making a suggestion.

The problem with the CGC comic art marketplace is its limited audience. It's an interested audience, granted, but you've probably hit half or more of that target by posting your question here.

While I've found pieces I've liked on the comicart-L site...in fact, I'm currently doing a slooow time payment deal with one of its members...I think it's hard for a piece to stand out from amongst the many. And, again, you're offering your item to a limited but select audience.

Still, advice from Scott and Catskill Comics is worth considering. What I'd like to know is, what does Scott think the piece will bring?

that's mainly what I'm wondering

this is hypothetical, I'm not sure I want to sell the peice, and if I do, it's probably going to Brad. But I wanted some idea what people migth be willing to offer for it - hypotheticly, I'm not holding anyone to anything, I just wanted an idea. So far, no one's mentioned any numbers =p

I think the reason you're not hearing any offers is because, by your own admission, you're not really looking to sell it-- you're more interested in an appraisal. You probably would have been better off by asking people what they think the market value is for the piece.

From your posts, it appears that if you do sell it, you'd rather sell it to the author, but don't want to leave any money on the table. Understandable, but also perhaps why people aren't making offers. Why make an offer that will just be used to set a minimum selling price?confused-smiley-013.gif

Last page I purchased was the page featuring Dr. Light on his throne. Absolutely killer piece which I purchased on eBay. I paid $450 for it.

I do have pages on my site belonging to Mike Bair. Note that Mike is not motivated to sell his pages which is why the pricing is as it is. Don't know that I would equate those prices to the market necessarily.

The current page is a tough one for a variety of reasons. First, it is the only "cover" done by Rags and Mike. The others were by Mike Turner. It also is not the published cover since they used the inked version. On the other hand, Rags' pencils are stunning. I'd venture a guess at $1,000; maybe $1,500 on this one. Best, Steve.

Perhaps you should try Steve Morger (he's posted already in this thread). He has a site that features a lot of IC artwork for sale:

http://www.bigwowart.com/

Good luck!

Totally OT, but I love the layout of your site, Steve. One of my favorites amongst all sites with art on display/for sale. The post its are my favorite.

J