• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum opinions on this CAP #1 ?

10 posts in this topic

I am considering making a run for a Cap #1, and would like to hear some opinions about this particular one (or others ). Any info would be appreciated. Grade opinions, resto opinions, Does anyone know the seller?

Thanks.

Link

So I guess my questions would be....is it archival tape or magic tape? It looks like a fairly recent tape job. Would this book be considered a restored book?What is the books history? It looks like a nice low grade book, but I wouldn't call it a vg/fine, more a vg+.

What a nice copy of that book! The seller is Dave Anderson, one of the most respected individuals in the hobby.

Structurally I would agree with the grade given of VG/FN based on the scan. The tape would be considered damage, and CGC would possibly downgrade accordingly (though perhaps not below VG/FN regardless) if you had it slabbed. Cleaned staples are going to most likely earn it a purple label.

All tape, including archival, are harmful the paper long term, so it would be best to have it removed if possible. The seller mentioned cleaned staples, so that along with the tape tells you there have been conservation measures taken with the book. The biggest risk is whether or not any additional restoration techniques have been performed that he may have missed.

My recommendation is that if you go for this book, make arrangements with the seller to have the book looked at by CGC after you win and pay for the auction. If it comes back with any surprises that fall outside an acceptable boundary that you mutually agree on with the seller before sending it to CGC, you could get a partial refund or return the book.

Good luck,

-Jim

I am considering making a run for a Cap #1, and would like to hear some opinions about this particular one (or others ). Any info would be appreciated. Grade opinions, resto opinions, Does anyone know the seller?

Thanks.

Link

I'll reiterate what I said at yesterday's Tampa Con; its a great book, but its a common a book for a GA key (ala All Star # 3).....and can be had for a decent discount off of Guide in restored shape with the right buyer.

As for Dave Anderson's copy, his auctions always draw a lot of attention (and seemingly above average finishing prices), so maybe you want to look elsewhere. I'm sure you'll get a few copies coming onto ebay in the coming months....just be patient, and you'll strike a good deal.

I have plenty of patience, and I didn't say I was going to bid a premium for it. There are definitely no shortage of these for sale right now and I agree that it is common as far as GA keys go but it is still a Cap #1.

Thanks for all of the imput so far. thumbsup2.gif