• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

looking through OSPG’s 18th edition

11 posts in this topic

I was looking through some older OSPG’s and was looking at some of the prices for ASM in the 100 to 150 era. In the 18th edition ASM #121 (death of gwen stacy) in MINT condition was listed at $22.00. The 18th edition was published in 1988-1989 some 18 years ago. In the 36th edition published this year #121 books in NM- for $300.

Now I’m not sure what that percentage increase is cause I suck at math, but I’m sure it’s not bad.

Is there any way in another 18 years that same book or really any book will climb that same percentage? Now I’m sure people are gonna jump out and say hell no. but just think, if I asked the same question way back in 1989 would you have guessed it’s current value today?

but just think, if I asked the same question way back in 1989 would you have guessed it’s current value today?

Yes, and during that period I was actively buying any nice BA book I could find, as I thought they were exceptional values, while today, I am in a holding pattern and dabbling in a few areas. Even though I have more money now, I am buying far less due to "perceived value".

Do the math.

The comics I'm selling will see that kind of increase yay.gif, the one's I'm buying are going to level off confused-smiley-013.gif.

In all seriousness, I think if anyone claimed to know what was going to happen in the future, you shouldn't believe them. If you're buying comics for an investment, there are better ways to invest your money. Buy what you like, like what you buy.

good lord it's like pulling teeth around here. i don't want to know so i can go into buisness for myself. just wondering what peoples thought we're.

I don't think about it. From past experience, I find any kind of juxtaposition of "investment" and "collectable" in my mind causes me to lose interest rather quickly.

i was more looking for an awnser to the first part. will prices see that kind of increase again. or will things level off?

Things will level off.

Or more likely decrease as we all start dying and our kids use our funny books for insulation.

However...one thing to keep in mind is the overall inaccuracy of the OSPG. Just like today, you're not going to get a true NM- copy of that book for $300, back in that era you were not going to get a true NM copy of that book for $22.00.

Is there any way in another 18 years that same book or really any book will climb that same percentage? Now I’m sure people are gonna jump out and say hell no. but just think, if I asked the same question way back in 1989 would you have guessed it’s current value today?

I would say it's possible.

Maybe for a first appearance or something like that. Maybe some movie exposure causing a buzz.

Personally I'm hoping for a blockbuster Woodgod movie so my price variant copy of Marvel Premiere 31 will be worth BIG BUCKS! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I'm not so sure how easy it actually was to get that book for that price back then either. You'd probably be getting a VF copy. But still, yes, even if you'd really have to spend $35, you're still talking about a big increase. Milehigh had that in the early 80s listed in comics in the mile high II collection for like $20-$25 (open up virtually any marvel from 1982-3 and check). But much of that increase in the last 6 years was due to CGC and CGC prices impacting OPG prices. Take the slab out of it and what are you realistically looking to get for a raw "NM" copy of that book...$150-$200, maybe, if you have really good feedback, are a trusted forumite, whatever. Guide was more realistic back in the 70s and 80s and, in fact, was low on a lot of books.

I seriously doubt it's a $2500 book in 20 years unless we have 20% annual inflation.

Just curious, what was guide on ASM 4 - 8 back in 1984. I remember thinking of those as $50-$75 books in NM when I was a kid selling at NYC shows and I'd get $10-$15 a pop selling hideous Fair/Good copies to people at the shows.

I was looking through some older OSPG’s and was looking at some of the prices for ASM in the 100 to 150 era. In the 18th edition ASM #121 (death of gwen stacy) in MINT condition was listed at $22.00. The 18th edition was published in 1988-1989 some 18 years ago. In the 36th edition published this year #121 books in NM- for $300.

Now I’m not sure what that percentage increase is cause I suck at math, but I’m sure it’s not bad.

$22 to $300 in 18 years time is approximately 15.63% per year over the eighteen years. I'd say that type of return is very unlikely. But stranger things have happened. Factor the same percentage into the next 18 years and the price grows to around $4,100.

Now is it possible that a true near mint 9.2 ASM 121 be worth that much in 18 years, probably not.......but a slabbed uber high grade.....probably. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is there any way in another 18 years that same book hell no or really any book sure, but nothing that's currently priced that high will climb that same percentage? Now I’m sure people are gonna jump out and say hell no. but just think, if I asked the same question way back in 1989 would you have guessed it’s current value today?

How many new collectors were joining the hobby in 1989 compared to today?

How many old collectors are leaving the hobby today compared to 1989?