• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3rd PARTY GRADING - What is the next big collectibles category in the future?

114 posts in this topic

How about old posters? Similar restoration and grading as comics. Definite need as there are so many versions and reprints that a newbie/investor could really use the help. Plenty of categories from Fine Art (Latrec) to Advertising (Green Devil) to Sports, TV, Movies, and of course comic book related. A nice case that protected from light, didn't scratch or blemish and could be easily framed would then not detract from being displayed. Plenty of posters out there too, both modern and pre 1975 that are highly collectible.

Is it being done already? Or done well?

Album covers, too?

I always thought there would be future value in anything that was...

"massively accepted, pop-culture related, and primarily thrown away".

For that reason, I'm guessing it will be odd things like various soda cans (particularly unopened ones),

unused concert or movie tickets (though stubs would also be valuable),

and "bulk-mail items" such as AOL or Netzero discs.

How about old posters? Similar restoration and grading as comics. Definite need as there are so many versions and reprints that a newbie/investor could really use the help. Plenty of categories from Fine Art (Latrec) to Advertising (Green Devil) to Sports, TV, Movies, and of course comic book related. A nice case that protected from light, didn't scratch or blemish and could be easily framed would then not detract from being displayed. Plenty of posters out there too, both modern and pre 1975 that are highly collectible.

Is it being done already? Or done well?

At times I have thought about collecting posters. They can certainly get expensive, up to $1 million for the rarest Frankenstein 6 sheet of the 1931 classic movie. But it is such a bulky thing to collect and ship, I think that is why I never bought any posters.

But I agree grading of posters would be a godsend to identify which ones are original and which ones are reprints. Grading would really help this market.

I always thought there would be future value in anything that was...

"massively accepted, pop-culture related, and primarily thrown away".

For that reason, I'm guessing it will be odd things like various soda cans (particularly unopened ones),

unused concert or movie tickets (though stubs would also be valuable),

and "bulk-mail items" such as AOL or Netzero discs.

Of course, but you're missing that all-important factor of "purchased or consumed by young males" factor. For some reason, genetics probably, males feel nostalgia for days gone by, while most females do not.

That's what your Mom wanted to toss all your comics "to make room" and your Dad empathized. grin.gif

It's driven collecting for the last century at least, and if you're talking pop culture collectibles, the vast majority were at one point targeted at kids and young adults. That's one big reason why older movie posters have such a following- back then it truly was the "TV for kids".

gossip.gif We are going to start certifying already certified comics; the condition of the slabs and labels. So, we will then encapsulate the already encapsulated comic.

stooges.gif

If I clean my slab with windex before submitting it for double slabbing will it get a purple label? Do you consider cleaning the outside of a CGC slab restoration? What about buffing out scratches? Is that allowed?

What if I reglued one of those old label stickers on top of the slab?.. is that a no no? Is Glue allowed?

I am very confused.

I am going to write a letter to the Liason Committee. I hope CGC can clarify their stance on this issue.

insane.gif

Ze-

I think posters, just by their shear size, would be too costly to be graded. Magazines may be the next thing, and I'm surprised CGC or one of their LLC's are not already doing it, however not sure how big the collectible market is for those. AFA is already grading sealed puzzles and sealed Lego sets, so I would imagine Pez’s or sealed video games are not too far behind.

gossip.gif We are going to start certifying already certified comics; the condition of the slabs and labels. So, we will then encapsulate the already encapsulated comic.

stooges.gif

If I clean my slab with windex before submitting it for double slabbing will it get a purple label? Do you consider cleaning the outside of a CGC slab restoration? What about buffing out scratches? Is that allowed?

What if I reglued one of those old label stickers on top of the slab?.. is that a no no? Is Glue allowed?

I am very confused.

I am going to write a letter to the Liason Committee. I hope CGC can clarify their stance on this issue.

insane.gif

Ze-

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

I would agree on video games. I was going to try to set up a grading company about 3-4 years ago, but I didn't feel like the market would support it at this time. I did track a large number of sealed/vintage video games and some of the prices are insane. Video games take a longer amount of time to appreciate in value, but they never really come down after that. I would also say magazines. Some company started grading magazines a few years ago, but would only grade books that they had. This obviously didn't get too exciting and they went by the wayside. I would hope CGC could at least branch off and get this started one day. I mean Sports Illustrateds alone would be worth it. First Tiger, First Jordan, Vintage stuff, etc....A lot of $$$ is sitting on the table because there are a large amount of magazine collectors. Just my 2 cents.

I think posters, just by their shear size, would be too costly to be graded. Magazines may be the next thing, and I'm surprised CGC or one of their LLC's are not already doing it, however not sure how big the collectible market is for those. AFA is already grading sealed puzzles and sealed Lego sets, so I would imagine Pez’s or sealed video games are not too far behind.

Yes, PEZ and LEGO are definite candidates I guess. At least you can buy them pre-1980. Somehow the thought of buying post 1980 stuff at premium prices scares me, you just know there are people out there sitting on cases of that stuff.

I would agree on video games. I was going to try to set up a grading company about 3-4 years ago, but I didn't feel like the market would support it at this time. I did track a large number of sealed/vintage video games and some of the prices are insane. Video games take a longer amount of time to appreciate in value, but they never really come down after that. I would also say magazines. Some company started grading magazines a few years ago, but would only grade books that they had. This obviously didn't get too exciting and they went by the wayside. I would hope CGC could at least branch off and get this started one day. I mean Sports Illustrateds alone would be worth it. First Tiger, First Jordan, Vintage stuff, etc....A lot of $$$ is sitting on the table because there are a large amount of magazine collectors. Just my 2 cents.
Playboys are expensive aswell

Put those away before the customers see them. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Big Little Books? Those would be some chunky-@ss slabs! I also vote for Aerosmith concert ticket stubs...simply because I still have all of mine! One day, the wife will ridicule me no longer for saving 17 ripped scraps of paper. And let's not forget matchbooks and golf tees. My uncle has a LOAD of 'em from the '30s - present day. BRING ON THE GRAVY TRAIN!!!!

Put those away before the customers see them. 893naughty-thumb.gif
angel.gif