• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3rd PARTY GRADING - What is the next big collectibles category in the future?

114 posts in this topic

What about grading LP's?

For those of you too young to remember such a thing, LP stands for "Long playing" as in an album pressed out of vinyl which goes on a machine called a "record player" or "turn-table". A skinny arm with a "needle" is gently placed on the record and through the vibration of the grooves that are pressed into the vinyl electronically sound is emitted through stereo speakers.

poke2.gif

What about grading LP's?

For those of you too young to remember such a thing, LP stands for "Long playing" as in an album pressed out of vinyl which goes on a machine called a "record player" or "turn-table". A skinny arm with a "needle" is gently placed on the record and through the vibration of the grooves that are pressed into the vinyl electronically sound is emitted through stereo speakers.

poke2.gif

I was listening to my old copy of Humble Pie's "Rocking the Fillmore" the other night, and an ancient, yellowed, unused rolling paper tumbled out of the sleeve, complete with a tiny flake of petrified doobage still stuck to it. Ya just can't slab a memory like that...

What about grading LP's?

poke2.gif

I was listening to my old copy of Humble Pie's "Rocking the Fillmore" the other night, and an ancient, yellowed, unused rolling paper tumbled out of the sleeve, complete with a tiny flake of petrified doobage still stuck to it. Ya just can't slab a memory like that...

sign-funnypost.gif

I agree with Buffyfan, the next big thing (in the next 5 years), will be albums and 45's.

Jay

I think all rock music collectibles are in for a HUGE nosedive when the current batch of fans dies off. Do you really think the rap music generation is going to start collecting Elvis and The Beatles, not to mention all the other minor acts being collected like the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Who is going to support the current prices of rock music stuff when the current owners start dying or selling off their collections to move into old age homes?

I would agree on video games. I was going to try to set up a grading company about 3-4 years ago, but I didn't feel like the market would support it at this time. I did track a large number of sealed/vintage video games and some of the prices are insane. Video games take a longer amount of time to appreciate in value, but they never really come down after that. I would also say magazines. Some company started grading magazines a few years ago, but would only grade books that they had. This obviously didn't get too exciting and they went by the wayside. I would hope CGC could at least branch off and get this started one day. I mean Sports Illustrateds alone would be worth it. First Tiger, First Jordan, Vintage stuff, etc....A lot of $$$ is sitting on the table because there are a large amount of magazine collectors. Just my 2 cents.

A couple of points to consider:

1. Keep in mind that in order for most video games to appreciate in value, they must remain sealed and unopened. Most opened games never retain their retail value, let alone their used value. You can get a lot of Atari 2600 games for under $3.00 each on eBay right now. I should know, I am a dealer.

2. The SEALED Nintendo game that brought over $700 at auction is somewhat hard to find used as well, and opened it only sells for about $30 complete with box and manual!

3. If you are planning to buy sealed video games for their future investment value, I would strongly advise against it. Most Sega Dreamcast games that were warehouse finds still sell for only a few dollars on eBay and they are close to 7 years old.

Again, this is just my two cents, but I do know a lot about the value of classic video games and systems. And yes, before anyone asks, they already do publish a PRICE GUIDE on them!

...Who is going to support the current prices of rock music stuff when the current owners start dying or selling off their collections to move into old age homes?

The next generation of Rock fans? I don't know if they'll pay BIG $$ for a pristine import 45 of an obscure Pretty Things tune or some such, but there are more young people (ages 12 - 25) digging the old school Rock sounds these days than you might imagine. I've played lots of shows recently with local and regional all-original rock bands who are doing gangbusters business with the retro Garage/Rockabilly/Sleaze/Glam/Stones/Faces/Stooges/Ramones/Dead Boys thing (take your pick), and the only thing younger than the bands (all in the 19-22 range) are their fans.

Like I said, I don't know what that will mean to the future of Rock collectibles...but Rock ain't quite dead yet, either!

I am very well-versed and I know how the system works. Video games usually steadily go down and then eventually increase in value, I am not saying buy sealed games when they are released. The atari games just have too many copies available and I know these are basically worthless. Starting with NES is where we start to see some real value in games. About 5-8 years ago you could find most used NES games for about $1 each or less at used stores. These same stores charge very large amounts for used items these days. The prices are also higher on ebay. I would say it is a worthy investment and have a decent collection myself. I guess it is just my opinion.

I like rap music, rock music and many other types of music and I can say that this generation has more likes than most previous generations. We are not necessarily pigeon-holed into one type of music and I think rock music will always have fans and collectors as people turn into wage earners.

PS I also have a small LP collection.

What about grading LP's?

poke2.gif

What a kick A** live album - they just don't make em like that anymore

electro:

as you know, there's a lot of worthless overproduced games out there from 75- present just like there are a lot of worthless overproduced comics from 75-present. For something to get decent money it has to either be rare or be in outstanding condition. That's the way it should be.

carcrawford:

I think the healthiest part of the nes market right now is stuff that's rare by production (as opposed to rare by condition, which doesn't get the premium it should IMO). If you look back at that kind of stuff, there's a whole whack of items that do very nicely now that could be bought much cheaper three/four years ago:

- a gold nwc used to be 3 or 4K, now over 10

- a grey nwc used to be 1k, now 3ish

- a complete myriad used to be like $100-200, closing in on $1000 now

- a cheetahmen 2 used to be $100, $500 these days

When you step back and think about it, those are pretty damn nice gains. I could give many more examples.

Similarly any popular sealed snes game gets 2-3x what it did four years ago when I started collecting. That's pretty damn good also. I don't collect atari but what I've heard elsewhere is that rare games completes w/box and manual have gone up over the past five years while the loose carts have gone down (I expect that trend to continue and magnify). Examples I've been quoted are chase the chuckwagon being worth half loose what it used to be, but twice complete what it used to be.

There's also areas that have done poorly over that same time span, with certain "non-franchise" rare or semi-rare sealed nes being one of those areas as many former completists are not actively collecting the last year or so, but on the whole I think the market for quality material appears to be developing well. Even the common but popular "franchise" titles are doing very well - six years ago my buddy a sealed super mario on ebay for $3, they are a good couple hun now. The whole market needs to continue to develop for quite a while yet before slabbing is even thinkable though.

I do see a large amount of price resistance over about $500 though. It'll be interesting to watch and see if that barrier gets pushed up over time.