• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Golden Age (1933-38) - The Birth of the Modern Comic Book

233 posts in this topic

808SingleSeries20CentVall.jpg

That's an absolutely gorgeous copy of this book. Just love the greens on this book. takeit.gif

Was this book sold raw or GCG graded? Any idea on the grade and if this book was sold for over guide or way over guide?

I have heard quite a bit about this Central Valley collection. Does Brian actually have a catalogue of the books for sale from this collection or do you have to contact him and ask about a specific book that you might want and hope he has it?

Asking since I was unable to find anything about the Central Valley collection on his website and I wouldn't mind picking up something if the price is resonable.

Thanks for any info you may have! thumbsup2.gif

That's an absolutely gorgeous copy of this book. Just love the greens on this book. takeit.gif

Was this book sold raw or GCG graded? Any idea on the grade and if this book was sold for over guide or way over guide?

I have heard quite a bit about this Central Valley collection. Does Brian actually have a catalogue of the books for sale from this collection or do you have to contact him and ask about a specific book that you might want and hope he has it?

Asking since I was unable to find anything about the Central Valley collection on his website and I wouldn't mind picking up something if the price is resonable.

Thanks for any info you may have! thumbsup2.gif

Here you go:

Central Valley Thread

If I remember correctly it ended up a CGC 9.4. I don't know the sale price, but I'd be curious as well. I would understand though if the buyer didn't want to share that info.

Already knew about this Central Valley thread.

What I really wanted was a link to the actual Central Valley books that Brian has up for sale. Even a search for central Valley on his own website comes up with nothing except for the current week's books.

Thanks anyways for trying.

I have to get a new book a week, or I have a panic attack! Any luck on a MPFW yet? I want that book BAD!

I have not found a MPFW yet...which doesn't suprise me, since there are only 8 copies out there ( 1 coverless....I don't do coverless )

I have funds set aside for a MFPW, which will one day surface...so you better be prepared for a bidding war!

I'm ready!

But, I might just find one under the radar and avoid the carnage...

shy.gifwink.gif

Ut!!! Just saw one fly by..........!

1526762-motionpic.jpg

1526762-motionpic.jpg.d572399a11039a71b016cbc8f4751419.jpg

I have to get a new book a week, or I have a panic attack! Any luck on a MPFW yet? I want that book BAD!

I have not found a MPFW yet...which doesn't suprise me, since there are only 8 copies out there ( 1 coverless....I don't do coverless )

I have funds set aside for a MFPW, which will one day surface...so you better be prepared for a bidding war!

I'm ready!

shy.gifwink.gif

1526762-motionpic.jpg

takeit.gif

And i meant to comment on the above thought patterns yesterday, but got sidetracked gearing up my comics business as i recently mailed out a brand new list of comics for sale

virtually ALL of the early "original" comic book material run in the various formats in the early to mid 1930s were by newspaper comic strip wanna-be creators

Reason i am now firmly convinced Norman Marsh was the publisher for the Humor line is due to a key phrase Jerry Siegel threw out in an interview some 25 years ago

He said that "the publisher of Detective Dan" (Secret Op 48) had come to Cleveland from Chicago to visit NEA, a newspaper syndicate, which was some time circa March April 1933

In October 1933 Dan Dunn Secret Op 48 made its debut in the nations newspapers

Norman Marsh was from Chicago, Dan Dunn exhibiting the crime-grit of Chicago

It's all circumstantial, of course, but i bet i am correct on this note - and your fleshing out the concept fits right in with my thinking

It's circumstantial, but it makes sense. I wonder how Martin Nadle/Howard Dell (I'm assuming Dell is a pseudonym for Nadle) fits into the equation. Perhaps he and Marsh were partners. Any idea what happened to Nadle in the time between Ace King and Bob Scully and his creation of the Jumble puzzles 20 years later?

It's funny how today we place so much importance on the few orginal comics from this period, when at the time the reprint books were the cream of the crop (which reminds me - Bill, those early Famous Funnies are great! 893applaud-thumb.gif). The original books were, as you said wannabes - in my initial post in this thread I compared them to the straight-to-video movies of today. I keep hearing that this emphasis on original material in the collecting community wasn't always so and that at one time books like Single Series 20, Feature Book 26 and Four Color 10 were considered grails right up there with Action 1 and Tec 27. I guess that was before my time - too bad as books like that are still personal grails for me; I guess I'm kind of an anacronism.

I thought Nadle went on to work for DC (National) Comics in some capacity i do not remember right now. Or was that a Nadel?

Yes, i noticed the straight to video analogy, apt as well.

Original material began cropping up in Famous Funnies as early as #2, so reprint was not the only stuff in the early "Golden" Age comic books of the mid-late 1930s. I believe Jack Kirby's first pro published comic book work happened in Famous Funnies with Lone Rider in #62, nyet?

And i note Overstreet sez the crime comics genre gets its start in FF #27 dated Oct 1936 with "War on Crime" story line

Not only were SS 20, FB 26 (PV) and 4C 10 (FG) considered grails back in the 60s and 1970s, so were FB 25 (FG as well) plus DD 4C 9 28 as Carl Barks ruled many a roost and ran many a collecting wagon as equals to Action 1 Tec 27 Marvel (Mystery) 1, Whiz 1,

It was my selling Whiz #1 to Burl Rowe out of the Tom Reilly collection in May/June 1973 which hit the two grand barrier, while it was the Tec 27 out of that legendary batch which broke $2000 for the first time

- garnering wide spread AP/UPI newspaper coverage and us several more Tec 27 copies within a month.

So, i am to assume that the experts on this thread concur with my history lesson i posted, part of the "Origin of the Modern Comic Book" as it appears in Overstreet 36 2006 edition as proper comic book history?

Outside of your pointing out a fubar sentence which i should of, but did not, catch wjem i revamped the 2005 version to accommodate new data re Standard Oil Comics nn Dec 1932 as being the presently earliest known (and most likely the first) oil company comics promo giveaway and Jack S PMing me i and a typo with Proctor & Gamble (proper spelling is Procter), nothing else was disputed.

So i thank the community for the vetting which occurred this past week.

Speak up now, for forever hold your piece (and keep it peaceful to boot) cloud9.gif

Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

Thought there was a thread for pics such as this, but dunno where it is, so here goes.

the quiz is next Tuesday identifying every cover pictured here:

ComicRackPic1940s.jpg

893whatthe.gif

I have a lot more pics of early comic book racks, am saving a lot of them for my book

I for one will be buying this book, so hurry up! thumbsup2.gif

I'm ready!

shy.gifwink.gif

1526762-motionpic.jpg

takeit.gif

Im a former owner of MPFW.Sold about 7 years ago...I can tell you even though there are only 8, one does pop up ever 2 to 3 years for some reason or other.

The origanal art to the cover exsists too. sold for 23k to B.S in the 1990s[i witness the auction]

Did you take a go at the pay copy last year?

And i meant to comment on the above thought patterns yesterday, but got sidetracked gearing up my comics business as i recently mailed out a brand new list of comics for sale

virtually ALL of the early "original" comic book material run in the various formats in the early to mid 1930s were by newspaper comic strip wanna-be creators

Reason i am now firmly convinced Norman Marsh was the publisher for the Humor line is due to a key phrase Jerry Siegel threw out in an interview some 25 years ago

He said that "the publisher of Detective Dan" (Secret Op 48) had come to Cleveland from Chicago to visit NEA, a newspaper syndicate, which was some time circa March April 1933

In October 1933 Dan Dunn Secret Op 48 made its debut in the nations newspapers

Norman Marsh was from Chicago, Dan Dunn exhibiting the crime-grit of Chicago

It's all circumstantial, of course, but i bet i am correct on this note - and your fleshing out the concept fits right in with my thinking

It's circumstantial, but it makes sense. I wonder how Martin Nadle/Howard Dell (I'm assuming Dell is a pseudonym for Nadle) fits into the equation. Perhaps he and Marsh were partners. Any idea what happened to Nadle in the time between Ace King and Bob Scully and his creation of the Jumble puzzles 20 years later?

It's funny how today we place so much importance on the few orginal comics from this period, when at the time the reprint books were the cream of the crop (which reminds me - Bill, those early Famous Funnies are great! 893applaud-thumb.gif). The original books were, as you said wannabes - in my initial post in this thread I compared them to the straight-to-video movies of today. I keep hearing that this emphasis on original material in the collecting community wasn't always so and that at one time books like Single Series 20, Feature Book 26 and Four Color 10 were considered grails right up there with Action 1 and Tec 27. I guess that was before my time - too bad as books like that are still personal grails for me; I guess I'm kind of an anacronism.

I thought Nadle went on to work for DC (National) Comics in some capacity i do not remember right now. Or was that a Nadel?

Yes, i noticed the straight to video analogy, apt as well.

Original material began cropping up in Famous Funnies as early as #2, so reprint was not the only stuff in the early "Golden" Age comic books of the mid-late 1930s. I believe Jack Kirby's first pro published comic book work happened in Famous Funnies with Lone Rider in #62, nyet?

And i note Overstreet sez the crime comics genre gets its start in FF #27 dated Oct 1936 with "War on Crime" story line

Not only were SS 20, FB 26 (PV) and 4C 10 (FG) considered grails back in the 60s and 1970s, so were FB 25 (FG as well) plus DD 4C 9 28 as Carl Barks ruled many a roost and ran many a collecting wagon as equals to Action 1 Tec 27 Marvel (Mystery) 1, Whiz 1,

It was my selling What #1 to Burl Rowe out of the Tom Reilly collection in May/June 1973 which hit the two grand barrier, while it was the Tec 27 out of that legendary batch which broke $2000 for the first time

- garnering wide spread AP/UPI newspaper coverage and us several more Tec 27 copies within a month.

So, i am to assume that the experts on this thread concur with my history lesson i posted, part of the "Origin of the Modern Comic Book" as it appears in Overstreet 36 2006 edition as proper comic book history?

Outside of your pointing out a fubar sentence which i should of, but did not, catch wjem i revamped the 2005 version to accommodate new data re Standard Oil Comics nn Dec 1932 as being the presently earliest known (and most likely the first) oil company comics promo giveaway and Jack S PMing me i and a typo with Proctor & Gamble (proper spelling is Procter), nothing else was disputed.

So i thank the community for the vetting which occurred this past week.

Speak up now, for forever hold your piece (and keep it peaceful to boot) cloud9.gif

Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

I'm not familiar wiht a Martin Nadle, but there was Martin Naydel at DC in the 40's who worked on All-Star Comics among others.

Everything else seems to be on the money. thumbsup2.gif

Edited by ciorac

I'm ready!

shy.gifwink.gif

1526762-motionpic.jpg

takeit.gif

Im a former owner of MPFW.Sold about 7 years ago...I can tell you even though there are only 8, one does pop up ever 2 to 3 years for some reason or other.

The origanal art to the cover exsists too. sold for 23k to B.S in the 1990s[i witness the auction]

Did you take a go at the pay copy last year?

No, I was unaware of the sale.

I don't upgrade on that issue..I hoard!

cool.gif

Understandable! Post it when you get it. thumbsup2.gif

Twins!

Hoarder! poke2.gif

Is that the Metro copy on the left? If so that was great deal - awesome colors!

Actually it is the one on the right. You are correct my original copy does have much nice colors. The metro copy is structurally better though. The pen marks are a bit disappointing though.

[

Actually it is the one on the right. You are correct my original copy does have much nice colors. The metro copy is structurally better though. The pen marks are a bit disappointing though.

That's a bummer about the pen scribble. I guess that explains why it seemed to be priced uncharacteristically low for Metro. I had similar problem just recently when I had to decide which one of my Funnies 36's to sell. The structurally better better copy had very conspicuous color loss where a name was erased on the FC and the lower grade copy had much better overall eye appeal. I finally kept the higher grade copy because of the better PQ, but it was a tough choice.

So I guess this means my chances of talking you into selling me your undercopy just went from low to zero. sorry.gif

[

That's a bummer about the pen scribble. I guess that explains why it seemed to be priced uncharacteristically low for Metro. I had similar problem just recently when I had to decide which one of my Funnies 36's to sell. The structurally better better copy had very conspicuous color loss where a name was erased on the FC and the lower grade copy had much better overall eye appeal. I finally kept the higher grade copy because of the better PQ, but it was a tough choice.

So I guess this means my chances of talking you into selling me your undercopy just went from low to zero. sorry.gif

Sadly, yes..... blush.gif