• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Golden Age (1933-38) - The Birth of the Modern Comic Book

233 posts in this topic

know what this is?

1703242-731-pilot003.jpg

I'd guess a mouse, but they don't walk on two feet or wear clothing.

Seriously, it's a BLB cover (only?) with the cover art of the first Mickey BLB but the title of the second, right? The first "variant"?

Tell us the rest of the story!

Jack

It must be the mutant offspring of these two BLB's?

MickeyMouse.jpg

Are these both your books Bangzoom? Insanely difficult to find BLB's this old in such a nice shape, especially the #717 "skinny" Mickey thumbsup2.gif

Steve

Thanks, Steve

cloud9.gif

I never even heard of your book until you mentioned it on another thread recently.

Congratulations on the purchase!!!

I never even heard of your book until you mentioned it on another thread recently.

Congratulations on the purchase!!!

Thanks Bang!

This is page 280 of this years OPG showing the "top 20" Big Little Books. As you can see, the Mail Pilot #731 variation is #1 ( only three known copies based on an email I received last night from the Countires top BLB dealer ), and your #717 "skinny" Mickey is #3.....congrats to you!

1703789-opg-280.jpg

1703789-opg-280.jpg.6f29a93cd07d3f3f9a08f5fb498a72b1.jpg

yes.....1933 was a VERY key year for the developement of the modern comic book as we know it today.......

The great depression caused the price of comics to drop from 25 cents to 10 cents, and they split off into 2 different formats....comic magazines and Big Little Books. Pictured here are the keys from this evolution

1724784-1933.jpg

The Big Little Book pictured was in this weeks Scoop....in case you did not see it and it intrigues you:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=14860&si=121

PS....try finding these puppies at your LCS!

Steve

1724784-1933.jpg.fc4268000ccfc487d3a9d9b31e69ca16.jpg

Just got another early Tip Top Tarzan cover. Too bad someone decided to use it as coaster for their coffee cup, because othewise it's a really nice copy, with great pages. This is a Foster cover BTW.

TipTop013vgsm.jpg

While I'm at it, here's a few more Tarzan Tip Tops that I've picked up over the last few months that I haven't posted. It's run I'd like to complete eventually, but I'm not in a real hurry and not being too picky about condition - they're just fun books.

TipTop027fcsm.jpg

TipTop030fcsm.jpg

TipTop052gdvgsm.jpg

While I'm at it, here's a few more Tarzan Tip Tops that I've picked up over the last few months that I haven't posted. It's run I'd like to complete eventually, but I'm not in a real hurry and not being too picky about condition - they're just fun books.

TipTop027fcsm.jpg

TipTop030fcsm.jpg

TipTop052gdvgsm.jpg

Outstanding books!! I have often thought of chasing the Tarzan issues from Tip Top and Sparkler. One of these days I will.

Outstanding books!! I have often thought of chasing the Tarzan issues from Tip Top and Startling. One of these days I will.

Thanks, Bill! I think you meant Sparkler and yeah, I'd like to work on those next - some of those Hogarth covers are very cool.

Outstanding books!! I have often thought of chasing the Tarzan issues from Tip Top and Sparkler. One of these days I will.

Thanks, Bill! I think you meant Sparkler and yeah, I'd like to work on those next - some of those Hogarth covers are very cool.

Haste makes waste......

Edited by ciorac

Tarzan?

Gimme Capt & the Kids yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Actually, now that you mention it, I starting reading both Capt & the Kids and Lil Abner for the first time when I started picking up these Tip Tops a while back and I enjoy both of them quite a bit. thumbsup2.gif Can't beat Foster Tarzan though! headbang.gif

yes.....1933 was a VERY key year for the developement of the modern comic book as we know it today.......

The great depression caused the price of comics to drop from 25 cents to 10 cents, and they split off into 2 different formats....comic magazines and Big Little Books. Pictured here are the keys from this evolution

1724784-1933.jpg

The Big Little Book pictured was in this weeks Scoop....in case you did not see it and it intrigues you:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=14860&si=121

PS....try finding these puppies at your LCS!

Steve

hail.gifhail.gif

Very nice Steve thumbsup2.gif