• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Golden Age (1933-38) - The Birth of the Modern Comic Book

233 posts in this topic

Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Man, you're not wasting any time putting together this run. How many of the early issues (single digit) do you have? Are you sticking to the regular series or are you going to go after Series 1 and FF:CoC too?

Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Man, you're not wasting any time putting together this run. How many of the early issues (single digit) do you have? Are you sticking to the regular series or are you going to go after Series 1 and FF:CoC too?

Zero. The lowest number I have is #11.

I think I will just stick to the regular series. If a Series 1 fell into my lap, I may change my mind though.

Here is a rare look at a key comic book from "the vault".....this is where I store books like The Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats from 1897, Obadiah Oldbuck from 1842, the 3 Humor books from 1933, etc etc

This is the nicest known copy of Comic Monthly #1 by Embee from January, 1922. This is the 1st monthly newsstand comic book, and has staples and word balloons.....all the "no brainer" attributes to be considered a "comic book" by any and all standards.

This very rare copy is in Fine+ unrestored condition with off-white pages, which in comparison to a GA book, is the equivelant of a NM 9.4 with reagrds to what is available, and what exists as "the best of the best". This book will never be for sale, and will only be seen by this one time posting within this thread.

1602507-cm1.jpg

1602507-cm1.jpg.e8910dd552f3690b13df0dd26821e128.jpg

Here is a rare look at a key comic book from "the vault".....this is where I store books like The Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats from 1897, Obadiah Oldbuck from 1842, the 3 Humor books from 1933, etc etc

This is the nicest known copy of Comic Monthly #1 by Embee from January, 1922. This is the 1st monthly newsstand comic book, and has staples and word balloons.....all the "no brainer" attributes to be considered a "comic book" by any and all standards.

This very rare copy is in Fine+ unrestored condition with off-white pages, which in comparison to a GA book, is the equivelant of a NM 9.4 with reagrds to what is available, and what exists as "the best of the best". This book will never be for sale, and will only be seen by this one time posting within this thread.

1602507-cm1.jpg

So this is the book that sleeps with Obadiah Oldbuck.

So this is the book that sleeps with Obadiah Oldbuck.

Yeah, apparently Obidiah sleeps with Polly AND her pals. Good for him.

Yeah, but it looks like one of her pals is that old dude with the cigar. tongue.gif (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Great book, Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif Did you go after any of the Comic Monthly's in the Hakes auction?

The Strange Adventures of Mr. Weed? 893whatthe.gif

What exactly is in that pipe? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

P1010016.jpg

Thanks for showing all the pages -- it really takes you back to the 1930s. The Gulliver two-page splash is spectacular! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow! That's amazing page quality for such an early book! Love the Gulliver's Travel page! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yes, it seems that a lot of the early pre-hero DC and early Centaur books had a lot of really spectacular double centerfold page spreads in them. cloud9.gif

Woo hoo!!

That's a very fun goal. I know when I was collecting King Comics 1-12, I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. A big reason was because the books were so darn cheap, especially given their age! Good luck!

Woo hoo!!

That's a very fun goal. I know when I was collecting King Comics 1-12, I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. A big reason was because the books were so darn cheap, especially given their age! Good luck!

Thanks Win! You are right, except for the #1 and the #3, they are really very reasonably priced.

I now have 33 of the first 50!!! I can see the horizon. cloud9.gif

Woo hoo!!

Thanks Win! You are right, except for the #1 and the #3, they are really very reasonably priced.

Nowhere close to having the first 50, but at least I do have Harry Wildenberg's file copies of Famous Funnies #1 to #5. cloud9.gif

Too bad they are all low grade and trimmed to fit into that stupid book format. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Woo hoo!!

Nowhere close to having the first 50, but at least I do have Harry Wildenberg's file copies of Famous Funnies #1 to #5. cloud9.gif

Too bad they are all low grade and trimmed to fit

I'd still love them! I'm sure you do too! smile.gif