• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was Matt Fox?

10 posts in this topic

I have heard stories about almost every Silver Age Marvel artist to the point where even the very minor ones are darn near legend. But Matt Fox, who had the quirkiest style, is a complete unknown to me. He inked many monster stories just preceding the advent of the Marvel Superheroes and looked as though he was strongly influenced by Basil Wolverton. Those facts are obvious. Where he came from, where he went to and what else he did is a complete mystery.

I am betting that he was a relation and that he worked cheap. He was probably very, very young at the time.

Anyone have the goods on Matt Fox?

Ron,

sorry to point that out but Fox was not very young at all. You seem to be unaware of his work of greatest renown: his Weird Tales pulp covers which are quite collectible. Fox's work at Marvel in the early 60's may have been for cheap as Fox needed the cash but he was already an accomplished artist and was close to 60 at the time. Comic-wise, his most thought after work is for the Youthful outfit in the 50's such as this

928_4_13.jpg

Hopefully this is the info you were looking for.

FOX, MATT

Source (some data)

MATT FOX

Name and vital stats

FOX, MATTHEW [1906 -88- ] (artist)

Influences

Alex Raymond

Print Media (non-comics)

Artist: Advertising

Artist: Magazines: 1940 Astonishing > 40

Artist: Magazines: 1940 Super Science Stories > 40

Artist: Magazines: 1942 Planet Stories > 42

Artist: Magazines: 1943 Future > 43

Artist: Magazines: 1943-51 Weird Tales > 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Artist: Magazines: 1944 Crack Detective > 44

Artist: Magazines: 1944 Famous Fantastic Mysteries > 44

Fine Arts

Lithographs, Water Colors; Color Woodcuts, Oils, & Etchings

Additional biography

Biographical Dictionary of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists 1988

3-D ZONE

3-D DANSE MACABRE~ (pen/ink/) 1988 reprint > 88

MARVEL COMICS

ADVENTURES INTO TERROR~ (pen/ink/) c1953 > 53

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY~ (pen/ink/) 1958/63-64 > 58 63 64

JOURNEY INTO UNKNOWN WORLDS~ (pen/ink/) 1953-54 > 53 54

MEN'S ADVENTURES~ (pen/ink/) 1953 > 53

MYSTIC~ (ink/) 1953 > 53

STRANGE TALES~ (ink/) 1963 > 63

SUSPENSE~ (pen/ink/) 1957 > 57

TALES OF SUSPENSE~ (ink/) 1963-64 > 63 64

TALES TO ASTONISH~ (ink/) 1963-64 > 63 64

WORLD OF FANTASY~ (pen/ink/) 1957 > 57

YOUTHFUL MAGAZINES

Covers (pen/ink/) 1952-53 > 52 53

Ron,

sorry to point that out but Fox was not very young at all. You seem to be unaware of his work of greatest renown: his Weird Tales pulp covers which are quite collectible. Fox's work at Marvel in the early 60's may have been for cheap as Fox needed the cash but he was already an accomplished artist and was close to 60 at the time. Comic-wise, his most thought after work is for the Youthful outfit in the 50's such as this

928_4_13.jpg

Hopefully this is the info you were looking for.

FOX, MATT

Source (some data)

MATT FOX

Name and vital stats

FOX, MATTHEW [1906 -88- ] (artist)

Influences

Alex Raymond

Print Media (non-comics)

Artist: Advertising

Artist: Magazines: 1940 Astonishing > 40

Artist: Magazines: 1940 Super Science Stories > 40

Artist: Magazines: 1942 Planet Stories > 42

Artist: Magazines: 1943 Future > 43

Artist: Magazines: 1943-51 Weird Tales > 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Artist: Magazines: 1944 Crack Detective > 44

Artist: Magazines: 1944 Famous Fantastic Mysteries > 44

Fine Arts

Lithographs, Water Colors; Color Woodcuts, Oils, & Etchings

Additional biography

Biographical Dictionary of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists 1988

3-D ZONE

3-D DANSE MACABRE~ (pen/ink/) 1988 reprint > 88

MARVEL COMICS

ADVENTURES INTO TERROR~ (pen/ink/) c1953 > 53

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY~ (pen/ink/) 1958/63-64 > 58 63 64

JOURNEY INTO UNKNOWN WORLDS~ (pen/ink/) 1953-54 > 53 54

MEN'S ADVENTURES~ (pen/ink/) 1953 > 53

MYSTIC~ (ink/) 1953 > 53

STRANGE TALES~ (ink/) 1963 > 63

SUSPENSE~ (pen/ink/) 1957 > 57

TALES OF SUSPENSE~ (ink/) 1963-64 > 63 64

TALES TO ASTONISH~ (ink/) 1963-64 > 63 64

WORLD OF FANTASY~ (pen/ink/) 1957 > 57

YOUTHFUL MAGAZINES

Covers (pen/ink/) 1952-53 > 52 53

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanx for another (!!!!) excellent, informative post !!!!

thumbsup2.gif

Bump

Holy Cow! Thanks for all the info. You caught be completely unaware. The image that you post of "Chilling Tales" is beautiful. Sadly, his work at Marvel reminds me of overrendered fan drawing. He worked for Weird Tales-- my goodness. The Marvel stuff doesn't seem to be done just for the money. All that rendering takes time. His work is different and memorable and obviously he was a good artist at one point in his life. I don't see the quality in the old Marvel work though.

Thanks for all the info. I am amazed that the same day I ask a question at this board, it is answered in depth and with distinction. My deepest thanks, Scrooge!

thought after work

I like this mis-phrasing! 27_laughing.gif

Matt's pre-code stories are always enjoyable.

ChillTales_13sm.jpg

So maybe he wasn't influenced by Basil Wolverton so much as by the SF artists of the '30's and '40's who were influenced by Virgil Finlay. Again, thanks for the thoughful answer. You have done an great service to me and to the memory of Matt Fox.

Ron

Matt Fox is one of my all time favorite artists. Its really hard to find out much about him, I didn't even know what year he died until the post above (Thanks, btw). His pre code horror interior work is just beautiful, like Strange Tales #17. Oh man, if you could see it. His 60's marvel inking is rushed & shoddy, his 50's atlas stuff, is just breathtaking! thumbsup2.gif

Matt Fox is one of my all time favorite artists. Its really hard to find out much about him, I didn't even know what year he died until the post above (Thanks, btw). His pre code horror interior work is just beautiful, like Strange Tales #17. Oh man, if you could see it. His 60's marvel inking is rushed & shoddy, his 50's atlas stuff, is just breathtaking! thumbsup2.gif

Strange Tales 17 by Fox is great but just one of many excellent pre-code stories that he drew. The pre-hero Fox was mostly relegated to inking Larry Lieber's competent but undistinguished pencils, in the end, I suspect, producing a work that pleased neither. Lieber has certainly complained about the heavy-handed inking by Fox.