• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh Come on Ebay, DO SOMETHING ALREADY! Plus Vital Paypal Info

46 posts in this topic

Just how bad do things have to get at that flea-market dump-hole:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=duchessmarie32&ssPageName=L3

141 positives. 75 are from unique users.

20 negatives. 7 are from unique users.

I don't even wanna know what this person's % is.

Can't wait til she tries to sell something using this ID. 893whatthe.gif

Anybody know of an ebayer with a worse ratio than this?

Rick

I think it is ridiculous to give someone negative feedback after seven days. The least you should wait to hear from someone is two weeks( to see if a payment shows up). I especially love the goofs that get all flabergasted with self importance over $6.00 transactions. cool.gif. Not everyone has a life that centers around their computer.

I agree that 7 days is too soon for negging. But everyone has their own patience limit. Not much you can do about others.

I do NOT agree with your dollar limit. Whether it's $6 or $600, a sale is a sale. True, no need to get flabergasted over smaller amounts. But that works both ways. I had NPB'd one ebayer over a $3 card. No big whoop, right? Well darn if he didn't get all bent out of shape! How dare I bother him with an NPB! Naturally I leave negative feedback, to which he gets a bit more testy. His negative back to me is a little...spicy! shocked.gif SO of course I get it removed. laugh.gif

What do you know, the system does work sometimes. But not nearly as often as it should.

Rick

I had someone win 3 $3 cards from me. After sending several emails and waiting patiently for a couple of weeks, he finally wrote back telling me that he'd bought them at a better price, so he had no intention of buying mine. He offered to pay the listing fees, and told me to use the "mutual agreement" NPB. I told him that he needed to send me my $9.00 + shipping for the cards. He bid, he won, end of story. However, I offered to send him the scans plus the text I'd written for the auctions, so that he could resell them on ebay without doing any work. He got quite testy. I asked him if he wanted to lose his ebay account over $3 cards, since I intended to file 3 negative NPBs and 3 neg feedbacks. He paypalled me $9 and told me not to send him the cards. So there.

Boy, that sure showed me, huh?

-- Joanna

Good for you, Joanna. Too many people think it's ok to bid whenever & where ever they please without having to poney up the dough because it's a "small amount."

Duh...

There are no small auctions. Only small-minded bidders. makepoint.gif

Rick

Good for you, Joanna. Too many people think it's ok to bid whenever & where ever they please without having to poney up the dough because it's a "small amount."

Duh...

There are no small auctions. Only small-minded bidders. makepoint.gif

Rick

Fourth of July troll! sumo.gif

Well, I think this is the best yet. I had a guy buy an Amazing Spiderman #1 (G-) for $700. He paid through paypal with a registered address. I sent to this registered address. It took a while through the postal system but it was insured and tracked. He emailed me everyday to see whether I had sent it. I already gave him the tracking number but ths was not good enough, he made a claim through paypal/ebay that it never arrived. The money was immediately taken out of my paypal account until it had been looked into! mad.gif

They asked for a tracking number, I gave it ASAP. After a couple of days, I also received an email from the buyer, who said "I have actually received it but did'nt realize I was paying that much for it, I would be happy to buy it from you for $200 less!". So he already has the book, but wants to pay less for it. 30 days later I receive an email from paypal saying that the payment has been reversed and the item could not be tracked!.

I phoned USPS and gave them the tracking number and it was delivered, and signed for at the registered address, and it also says that on the website. But, on the web tracking, it doesnt give the actualy door number of where it was delivered, so paypal count that as not being delivered.

I hae phoned paypal several times and spoken to several different people, they all basically say that now the money is returned, there is nothing they can do!

Still waiting, and the other guy is still laughing, with a copy of AS#1 and $700 in both hands mad.gif

Happy 4th July from us in ENGLAND!

Still waiting, and the other guy is still laughing, with a copy of AS#1 and $700 in both hands mad.gif

This is completely unacceptable (but you already know that don't you)! Paypal won't consider the item delivered because an exact house number wasn't included? Even though the post office said that the item was delivered, signed for, and you indeed paid for tracking of the item? What the hell do they want? A blood sample? There has to be something you could do..... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Happy 4th July from us in ENGLAND!

Thanks! Reminds me of the British Royal Marine Captain I once was deployed with that made it a point of not talking to any of the US personnel on the 4th. Said he didn't recognize the holiday and wouldn't give the US the pleasure of a Brit celebrating the holiday with them. The scary thing is...he was deadly serious.... makepoint.gif

Jim

Fourth of July troll! sumo.gif

Hey, you can't celebrate the fourth of July. 893naughty-thumb.gif Canada isn't a part of the United States yet! mad.gif

But keep on kissing our arses, I'm sure your country will make it in one day. 27_laughing.gif

I hae phoned paypal several times and spoken to several different people, they all basically say that now the money is returned, there is nothing they can do!

Post the guys ebay ID so we can add him to our blocked lists.

Stories like make my really nervous about using Paypal. I've heard of other incidents where Paypal has removed money from people's bank accounts over similar disputes. I don't know if this is true or not and am planning on consulting with my bank to see if Paypal can do this when I get the time.

I try to remove funds from my paypal account right away unless there's something I'm definitely bidding on and will probably turn right around and send the funds back out. On the whole I'm pretty happy with Paypal but there customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Does anyone out there have a strategy to protect themselves from these situations they're willing to share? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thanks and Happy Fourth of July!!!

dave h

This is completely unacceptable (but you already know that don't you)! Paypal won't consider the item delivered because an exact house number wasn't included? Even though the post office said that the item was delivered, signed for, and you indeed paid for tracking of the item? What the hell do they want? A blood sample? There has to be something you could do.....
Well, I have tried a lot of things, would you beleive I even got in touch with his local police station, but they was'nt interestest. Last time I spoke to a manager at paypal and he said they will look into it and take it up with the buyers CC company. What its got to do with them I don't know!

Stories like make my really nervous about using Paypal. I've heard of other incidents where Paypal has removed money from people's bank accounts over similar disputes. I don't know if this is true or not and am planning on consulting with my bank to see if Paypal can do this when I get the time.

I try to remove funds from my paypal account right away unless there's something I'm definitely bidding on and will probably turn right around and send the funds back out. On the whole I'm pretty happy with Paypal but there customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

As for these words, I always withdraw immediately. But the problem is I was also accepting payments at the time. They withdrew the cash and within minutes different people had paid me for items, bringin my paypal account (that was in the minus -) back to zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for who it was, you may be suprised to see its someone with no negs!! pm62ball . If your wondering why I havnt negd him yet. it's because he has actually contacted me in the past couple of days (funnily since I contacted the police?) and says he is sending it back. Now I'm gonna give him another couple of weeks to see if he actually does return it, then neg him. I have also had a major, major major problem with a guy called: dave0126

This guy has ripped me off for over $1000!!!!!!!! But I can't go into that story at the moment, but don't go near him (unless you want to buy an advertised 9.6 with GREAT scans, but actually receive a 7.0 with resto! and no response to your emails).

God I've been unlucky recently, but still smiling grin.gif

Thanks! Reminds me of the British Royal Marine Captain I once was deployed with that made it a point of not talking to any of the US personnel on the 4th. Said he didn't recognize the holiday and wouldn't give the US the pleasure of a Brit celebrating the holiday with them. The scary thing is...he was deadly serious....

That is scarry!

I think it's [!@#%^&^] that Paypal can control your $$$$ the way they do !! And why ? Because we agree to their stink'n terms and conditions when we sign up !! And at the end of the day, they don't give a S**T about you. They are way too quick to judge without full investigation.

I'd like to see how long it takes Paypal to right this wrong !

[!@#%^&^] and CORRUTION !! makepoint.gif

...Stories like make my really nervous about using Paypal. I've heard of other incidents where Paypal has removed money from people's bank accounts over similar disputes. I don't know if this is true or not and am planning on consulting with my bank to see if Paypal can do this when I get the time.

Does anyone out there have a strategy to protect themselves from these situations they're willing to share? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thanks and Happy Fourth of July!!!

dave h

As a matter of fact yes...

Paypal is a great tool, but they can't be trusted.

Regardless if you follow their regulations, they will go after the money (wherever it is)... so they don't take a loss. They take the loss on chargebacks IF the "seller" does not have funds to cover the chargeback, has removed the funds from where they can grab it, or cancels his account. They suffered serious loss (although still a very profitable company) in this manner in the past and have naturally changed policy (and use loopholes in their own policy) to avoid being the party holding the bag.

Following their "protection steps" may not be enough as comicmankev found out. Even if you comply with all their regulations they can find something gray, grab the money and then say its too late to change what happened...sorry.

Recently, the Ebay owned Paypal changed their user agreement to further intimidate/force buyers to use Paypal's resolution services instead of initiating a chargeback (at risk of having their account terminated). They seem to have given the buyer more lead way if they wish to reverse a charge, so the buyer does not feel they need to initiate a chargeback with their CC company. Paypal basically wants to handle the dispute, and if they can't get your funds from a desired reversal, they want you to accept the loss. If you paid with bank funds or PP balance...you have no real option anyway. IF you paid by credit card you can still initiate a chargeback through your credit card company in most cases... but they DON'T want you to do this...accept the loss and move on is what they want... hoping you don't realize your options and with threat of having your Paypal account closed also.

To Protect Yourself More Effectively.... IMHO, the BEST thing to do... is to have additional account(s) at the same bank and have the ability to transfer money (when it reaches uncomfortable levels for the individual) not only out of PP Balance, but also out of the account itself that is linked to your Paypal account (especially on larger deals). Most likely your account is not an earlier one (prior to Oct 11, 2001) and as such you gave PP the right to obtain funds from your Bank Account directly if they deem you responsible or "wrong" in a dispute. Better to have the money unavailable and sort it out later. If you've followed the rules (or have been scammed) you should expect to be covered/protected. It seems that this does not always happen as the party with the available cash may be more vulnerable than they expect.

Paypal Fees thread... good information

This is completely unacceptable (but you already know that don't you)! Paypal won't consider the item delivered because an exact house number wasn't included? Even though the post office said that the item was delivered, signed for, and you indeed paid for tracking of the item? What the hell do they want? A blood sample? There has to be something you could do.....

CMK: Well, I have tried a lot of things, would you beleive I even got in touch with his local police station, but they was'nt interestest. Last time I spoke to a manager at paypal and he said they will look into it and take it up with the buyers CC company. What its got to do with them I don't know!

A perfect example of Paypal using a "loophole" (grey area) reason to grab your money and say "oh well, its too late".

Did you use signature confirmation or return receipt?... or was it insurance and delivery confirmation. It may not have mattered, but on valuable shipments, I always use Signature confirmation and/or return receipt even though it seems like overkill.

CMK: As for these words, I always withdraw immediately. But the problem is I was also accepting payments at the time. They withdrew the cash and within minutes different people had paid me for items, bringin my paypal account (that was in the minus -) back to zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is something I never considered. If you remove funds from your bank account that is linked to your Paypal account to safeguard the funds... that's not enough if you are expecting more payments. I have to think on this one. I suppose I would have to consider canceling the account if i was due money I couldn't lose... OR I would be emailing people not to pay me via paypal because Paypal is screwing me over and will sieze the funds unjustly. Tough call there. I imagine even if you have both a personal and premiere account that they'd go after funds in the other account unless you use a different name (Wife) perhaps?

As for who it was, you may be suprised to see its someone with no negs!! pm62ball . If your wondering why I havnt negd him yet. it's because he has actually contacted me in the past couple of days (funnily since I contacted the police?) and says he is sending it back. Now I'm gonna give him another couple of weeks to see if he actually does return it, then neg him. I have also had a major, major major problem with a guy called: dave0126. This guy has ripped me off for over $1000!!!!!!!! But I can't go into that story at the moment, but don't go near him (unless you want to buy an advertised 9.6 with GREAT scans, but actually receive a 7.0 with resto! and no response to your emails).

God I've been unlucky recently, but still smiling grin.gif

Its a scam that some buyers understand and get away with unless you come after them.

The system leans heavily towards the buyer's rights and there is room to easily abuse it.

Here's a link to last month's version of the "Holy [!@#%^&^], I can't believe PayPal screwed me like that" story...

More Paypal horror... And some advice

I'm linking to it here, because it seems like every time these stories come up we save a few more souls who didn't realize PayPal's Seller Protection has less coverage than a fat man's hospital gown...

And Bruce, PayPal won't take money from another account you own unless you have signed up for their MoneyMarket accounts and given them your SSN. If you have multiple accounts with the same Social, they'll freely grab from one to the other. But otherwise they treat them as separate.

There's already been a number of good suggestions made in this thread, the February one, and the one last month. I hope everyone has gotten the message by now that you don't give PayPal access to the checking account you use for your housing payment. Even if you take the "can't happen to me" attitude, PLEASE at least do that. I also suggest that people use different accounts for buying and selling. Don't let them connect any good credit cards to your selling account.

And it's not a horrible idea to put a PayPal account in your spouse's name (if she doesn't already have one). Anyone here who has paid me via PayPal knows that the name on my lighthouse_comics account isn't mine... I use four different PayPal accounts, after having to close one when they jacked me for $465. Now I am a big fan of minimal exposure as far as PayPal is concerned.