• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars 1 35 cent variant CGC 9.2 on eBay

109 posts in this topic

The census is inaccurate on this book - there is at least one more 9.2 Star Wars 1 35 center out there. It sold this summer for $3600, after being sold by me for $1386 in March 2000.

HI, I'M GOING TO POST IN ALL CAPS FOR A MINUTE. I INTEND TO BE SCREAMING. THE RESERVE ON THIS AUCTION WAS MET.

ONLY TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!

I'M GOING TO GO WALK AROUND IN CIRCLES IN THE CONFERENCE ROOM AT MY OFFICE MUTTERING TO MYSELF FOR AN HOUR.

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Just think.. this is selling for 10k and is basically an otherwise unvaluable book. An IF 14 35 cent variant 9.2 which is somewhat of a key and carries some value sold for only 1,500 dollars. Not to mention the Star Wars 35 cent'r isn't as uncommon as most of the other 35 cent'rs.

Brian

I've never totally understood the appeal of this book, but it apparently highly desired and it is certainly rare compared to Hulk 1981 or X-Men 94. And this is the highest graded copy, along with nice copies of 2-4.

I would not pay nearly that much for it, but I don't why so many people are shocked or bewildered by the aggressive bidding. It is the single highest graded copy of a key Bronze Age book...so the sky is the limit with this and any other one-of-a-kind item.

And people keep comparing this to Iron Fist #14, but it's a stretch to compare the first appearance of lame Sabretooth to STAR WARS #1...the first Star Wars comic. How many Star Wars fans are there compared to Sabretooth fans? Think about it.

Remember, it only takes two deep-pocketed, interested parties to bid any one of a kind item to the moon.

I've never totally understood the appeal of this book, but it apparently highly desired and it is certainly rare compared to Hulk 1981 or X-Men 94. And this is the highest graded copy, along with nice copies of 2-4.

I would not pay nearly that much for it, but I don't why so many people are shocked or bewildered by the aggressive bidding

Because we follow this stuff and this price is just about double what I thought it would be. Dan's old 9.2 #1 sold for $3600 a few months ago. At that time we though THAT price was nuts and that was when it was 1/1 at that grade. Now there are two and the price doubles? That makes no sense.

I've never totally understood the appeal of this book, but it apparently highly desired and it is certainly rare compared to Hulk 1981 or X-Men 94.

Hulk 1981? What's special about this issue and how can I get one? grin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist! wink.gif

Remember, it only takes two deep-pocketed, interested parties to bid any one of a kind item to the moon.

...or one deep-pocketed, interested party and a shill...

...or two shills...

...or two thrill-bidders...

Gene

Hmmm...whatcha guys think of the theory that the reason this auction ended so high is due to the fact that all 4 35-cent SW variants were offered in a single auction, enabling the buyer to pick them up all at once? Do you think the seller would've done better selling them individually? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Because we follow this stuff and this price is just about double what I thought it would be. Dan's old 9.2 #1 sold for $3600 a few months ago. At that time we though THAT price was nuts and that was when it was 1/1 at that grade. Now there are two and the price doubles? That makes no sense.

Yes, but there are the #2-4 included too and those are certainly worth a good bit. Plus, as I said it only takes two bidders to drive the price up for a unique (high census copy) item.

However.....

As has probably been pointed out above, the only two auctions that the high bidder (jfrijole) has been on during the last month or two are being sold by the SW #1 seller (baddtiming). This certainly puts major doubts on the integrity of the high bid. AND the second highest bidder just registered on ebay two days ago and has zero feedback (of course).

So major monkey business is clearly involved with this auction as others here have shrewdly suggested.