• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars 1 35 cent variant CGC 9.2 on eBay

109 posts in this topic

I really think that this book could do some serious "damage" when the next movie comes out. This is more rare than the Iron Fist #14 in my opinion.

I've heard the opposite. However, the lesser known titles are probably more rare than the both of them..

Brian

Are you really the original owner of this book? Please describe it as I really am possibly interested in bidding on this baby. Ask yourself this, when was the last time on eBay that there was a 35 cent SW #1 in CGC 9.2??? Answer- NEVER!

I really think that this book could do some serious "damage" when the next movie comes out. This is more rare than the Iron Fist #14 in my opinion.

If you have any info in regards to this book please let me know.

Thanks smile.gif

I am the original owner of this book (well, not the ORIGINAL owner, but the person who got it slabbed). I bought it from the original owner in 1999 for $220 and had it slabbed. I then sold it for $1386 to a guy in West Virginia in March 2000 on eBay. It was on eBay maybe six months ago and did not make reserve, reaching $3,049.

It is really a nice copy, BUT, and this is a BIG but, Star Wars 1 is by FAR the most "common" 35 cent variant in existence. Most of the biggest 35 cent collectors on the planet are all on this board (myself, silverandbronze, lighthouse, darthdiesel, rob_react, the late, lamented Joe_Collector/comicinvestor, buenavista, and we know the other ones), and we can tell you that a LOT of this particular book is out there.

How much, since you seem to know alot in regards to this copy, will this book sell for? How rare is this book? I really want to bid however just dont want to get caught up in a bidding war. I was told that only 1,500 copies were ever made, is this correct? Thanks

Star Wars 1 is by FAR the most "common" 35 cent variant in existence.

You got that right. This book is challenging, yes, but rare---NO WAY. People forget that this book was out-and-out hoarded by any dealer that could find a copy almost as soon as it was released. It was immediately noted by Overstreet the following year (I believe--if not, the second year after publication). My own personal memory of this book was going to one of the last Creation cons in NYC at the run-down Diplomat Hotel (what a pit at that time) and seeing a dealer with a decent stack of variant copies of SW1 in NM. He wanted $10 a piece, which I thought was highway robbery. Didn't pick one up and have regretted it since then. Mind you-I've seen dozens of copies since then. It is the most "common" of the variants, even when compared to SW 2-4.

It is really a nice copy, BUT, and this is a BIG but, Star Wars 1 is by FAR the most "common" 35 cent variant in existence. Most of the biggest 35 cent collectors on the planet are all on this board (myself, silverandbronze, lighthouse, darthdiesel, rob_react, the late, lamented Joe_Collector/comicinvestor, buenavista, and we know the other ones), and we can tell you that a LOT of this particular book is out there.

One thing to remember, even beyond the relative "commonness" of the book (and it is more common than any of the other 35 centers), from practically day one this book was recognized as a collectible variant. It's the earliest of the marvel price variants to be noted in the price guide (I know it's listed as such in #9, I don't have an 8 to check if it's listed there) and it has always commanded a premium. So, not only are there more of them out there because it was a heavily printed and hyped title- read the letters pages leading up to the book's release; but they have practically ALWAYS been collectible. Because of that this book doesn't suffer from the same "bargain bin" problems that IF #14 faces in terms of producing high grade copies. Which means, IMHO, there are probably a few 9.4/6s waiting in the wings. Because of those factors I really think that $3500 is an extremely aggressive price to pay for this book.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a few more high grade copies shake loose after this sale.

I really think that this book could do some serious "damage" when the next movie comes out.

After re-reading your posts on this and the thread in the General forum, I gotta ask--Why are you cosidering buying this book? If you covet it because you're a SW freak and gotta have the highest graded copy of the HTF variant version, then that makes sense. However, if you're buying it because you think it's an investment, then you're nuts. The movie won't change a damn thing--there is a constant demand base provided by SW collectors that won't wax or wane unless something spectacular happens and Lucas actually makes a decent, somewhat complex and entertaining flick (good luck). And, the passage of time only makes it more likely that a similar or better copy comes along. I'm all for people paying whatever they want for books they love, but as an investment, I think you could do better with other comics and in the real world.

And no--it's not more rare than IF 14. I've only ever seen 4 IF 14's in person and know of fewer than 15. I've personally seen probably 50 SW 1's during the past 25 years (man, that's a large and depressing number-the 25, not the 50).

oh and thanks Chuck for the lovely MH2's you sold me as NM/M that are basically filler at VF- frown.gif

You should go ahead and try to cost Chuck some money then.

His website states that any book you buy from him as NM, he will refund your money and grading fees if it comes back as less than 8.5

Since a lot of people complain that most dealers who sell raw NM's are really selling 9.0-9.2s anyway, thats not too bad a deal.

I would have to agree with the variants experts on this one. I sought out variants shortly before my comic collecting Hiatus in 1993. I soon found this to be a difficult process for the price variants, as they were not distributed in Canada as I recall. The Whitman variants is another matter as I have what I belive to be 75% of the listed variants in the guide.

The point is, even with the relative scarcity of the 35 cent variants etc north of the 49th (I have never seen a IF 14 up close), I have seen about 10 SW#1 variants and even own one, about a F/VF (7.0). In terms of grading, it is a black cover, but I concur with the panel on this one. It was identified early and has been the topic of conversation in the collecting world since the early 80's for sure. I consider myself a star wars fan and wouldnt pay over $1000 for this book in that condition. makepoint.gif Think about it the seller is going to use the profit towards an AF 15 in the 7.0 range maybe. I would take the mid-grade AF 15 every day of the week and twice on Sundays at a Con. tongue.gif

The seller has a reserve of $3500 on it, which is pretty nice, seeing as he bought it for $1386 from me 39 months ago. That's a pretty good rate of return if he hits it. I think he's going to, as there has been some growing "buzz" on this book. I think the end buyer for it is going to be a Star Wars collector, and I'll bet it never comes back out. I don't know why CGC hasn't listed it yet.

STEVE, PUT THIS BOOK ON THE CENSUS!

The seller is, to put it mildly, ecstatic. The buyer is legit. Can somebody figure out the rate of return on this book for the seller? Purchased March, 2000 for $1386, sold July, 2003 for $3611. I used to know the formula, but am now clueless.

Have you been through their feedback? There's lots of it, so the guy will get paid, and their primary collecting interest seems to be high grade Star Wars books, so this will probably be the cornerstone of their collection. All things considered, it's probably the best sort of home for it.

Now we'll see if anyone is tempted to break out their 9.4 and above copies...

48% per annum before eBay fees, paypal fees, etc. and rounding the time the book was held to 3.33 years.

Actually, the return is 33.32% per annum

(3611/1386)^(1/3.33)-1 = 33.3166% per annum

A 48% annually compounded return would have gotten the seller $5,113.69.

Ah, the magic of compound interest.

- Gene