• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Here Comes My First Ebay Negative

16 posts in this topic

I just have to rant about this ebay horses-azz...

I sold a Pulp Fiction original poster. This same exact poster is in some ebay stores for over $100, but as luck would have it, mine sells for $4.99. The winner is a dealer.

So, I get a USPS Priority mail tube (very sturdy), put the poster in the tube and secure it in place with bubble wrap so it's not bouncing around.

Next, I get an obscene and insulting email rant from the buyer that goes on for paragraphs. The poster was damaged. (It must have happened in the mail system.) He told me I was incompetant because if I was competant I would have shipped using a PVC tube. (Those things cost TWICE what I got for the poster!)

I call his phone number (on the bottom of his email) and leave a message politely explaining I'm willing to work it out with him, all he has to do is POLITELY contact me and I'd be happy to reach an agreement.

The next day I get another long ranting email telling me how dumb I am, how incompetant I am and how dare I call him. He might be willing to "retract his statements" for a full refund.

After the second nasty email, I said the heck with it. I told him if he couldn't be civil, he's not getting a penny back. And I left him with a juicy negative.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=dsonesheets&iid=130039962933

So, I suppose my first negative is imminent. frown.gif

But, after acting professionally and giving him a chance to work something out, IF ONLY he communicated respectfully, I'm not going to accommodate someone who feels they have the right to launch two nasty email assaults.

How far is a seller supposed to bend? I think the guy is primarily PO'd because he got it super cheap and lost out on a huge flip.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Man, that sucks but that's what the insurance is for. I don't think I would have zinged him with a neg so soon though. He's already pissed off that the item came damaged, regardless what his intentions were for the poster, and the neg is just adding fuel to the fire. I would have waited for him to act first and hoped for the best. I guess once you get your neg that's surely coming (since you left one), wait about a week and when he's calmed down try to work with him on getting the feedback retracted. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Did he provide any proof that the poster was damaged? Considering what a dope he sounds like, I'd demand it.

Red

No. And I really don't care at this point. I made a polite and professional effort to work it out (I would have given him a full, refund and let him keep the poster.) But he responded to my [very polite and professional] phone message with another ranting and obscene email.

I'm not going to accommodate someone like this. Screw him and his refund.

I'm not a poster collector or dealer, and to the best of my knowledge, I shipped the item in a secure and sturdy mailing tube. I've shipped about 10 other posters in the same tubes and have all positive feedback to show for it. He's ranting a raving because I didn't use a PVC mailing tube which I didn't even know existed until he berated me for not using one. screwy.gif

Obviously I can't show his emails here, but they were real doozies and that is the crux of the problem. What bothers me the most is how uncivil and hostile people can be in the online world. Any reasonable person would have looked at my feedback - 683 positives with 0 negatives -- and figured out that I was a decent person and not the type of seller that does shoddy work. However, he choose to unload his vile emails on me with no regard for the fact that I am a real person who tries - and usually succeeds - in doing a good job.

Did he provide any proof that the poster was damaged? Considering what a dope he sounds like, I'd demand it.

Red

No. And I really don't care at this point. I made a polite and professional effort to work it out (I would have given him a full, refund and let him keep the poster.) But he responded to my [very polite and professional] phone message with another ranting and obscene email.

I'm not going to accommodate someone like this. Screw him and his refund.

I'm not a poster collector or dealer, and to the best of my knowledge, I shipped the item in a secure and sturdy mailing tube. I've shipped about 10 other posters in the same tubes and have all positive feedback to show for it. He's ranting a raving because I didn't use a PVC mailing tube which I didn't even know existed until he berated me for not using one. screwy.gif

Obviously I can't show his emails here, but they were real doozies and that is the crux of the problem. What bothers me the most is how uncivil and hostile people can be in the online world. Any reasonable person would have looked at my feedback - 683 positives with 0 negatives -- and figured out that I was a decent person and not the type of seller that does shoddy work. However, he choose to unload his vile emails on me with no regard for the fact that I am a real person who tries - and usually succeeds - in doing a good job.

Sounds like he made his own bed. You did everything a reasonable person would have and should have done.

For what it's worth, I've been using those USPS Priority Mail "tubes" for a while.

They are triangular, more like a prism than a cylinder.

I've sent out about 20 and I've had comments from two that were damaged.

It seems that some post office people are just more careful than others, "out there",

since they were all dropped off in the same condition "over here".

Either that, or it's the luck of the draw what kind of heavy boxes sit around them in transit.

Life is tough enough without having to deal with a jack a**. It's sad that most folks would rather curse you out than extend a little courtesy. 893censored-thumb.gif that guy brother, he's probably sitting naked in a dark little room, feeding his anger engine while writing out his manifesto....

27_laughing.gif

yay.gifChris

Life is tough enough without having to deal with a jack a**. It's sad that most folks would rather curse you out than extend a little courtesy. 893censored-thumb.gif that guy brother, he's probably sitting naked in a dark little room, feeding his anger engine while writing out his manifesto....

27_laughing.gif

yay.gifChris

Thanks for the morbidly psychotic imagery. poke2.gif

Zipper, sorry to hear about the situation. Comment left was factual, not emotional...which will go a long way to possibly resolving this with ebay if/when he provides feedback.

For what it's worth.....if I wouldn't hesitate to bid on an auction of someone's with an Ebay record as stellar as yours, even with the possible neg. It's pretty clear who's the jerk. You did the right thing and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Red

Zipper, sorry to hear about the situation. Comment left was factual, not emotional...which will go a long way to possibly resolving this with ebay if/when he provides feedback.

He just sent an email apologizing for his behavior. I won't go into the details, but long story short is that he's on a lot of meds for chronic pain.

Since he apologized, I extended an offer to make it right if he promises not to neg me. We'll see...

If you are mailing posters on any regular basis you really should be using Yazoo Mills tubes...I have sent probably 100's of prints through the mail in these tubes and have never had one damaged...Someone would have to really go outta their way to crush one of these tubes...a case of tubes is only like $20 and I think that a case is almost 20 tubes or something...regardless they are only like $1 or so each and are by far the best protection for a print in the mail...

basically when I ship a print I cut a piece of craft paper larger than the print. I then roll the print and craft paper together...I put the roll in the tube and tape the end caps on. label the tube and drop it in the mail...

*knocks on wood*

Oh and i think that a few folks on this board have gotten prints from me shipped like this..

So, I suppose my first negative is imminent. frown.gif

I totally sympathize.

However, ebay's rating system is a complete joke. One neg is not going to hurt you a great deal when I see people with tons of negatives still receiving bids.

Hell, even people with private feedback still receive bids. screwy.gif

It sucks to get dinged, especially when you do your best to avoid that very thing but I'd just move on.