• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strangest location you've found a missing issue?

27 posts in this topic

Well my first attempt at a posting, so here goes...

I had been searching for years for an Uncanny X-men #207 for years and years (this was before the advent of ebay and other internet sources) contacting every known comic store in Australia (and trust me, there ain't all that many). Once a year we have what is called a Royal Easter Show (much akin to a state fair), where showbags could be purchased, mainly containing toys and junk food to keep kids all hyper. Now some bags actually came with a comic included within the showbag. So getting towards the end of the day and deciding to pick up a few to take home with me, i siddled up a seller to make my purchase. At that time of day he only had 2 bags left which also contained comics. So i asked him which comic was in each bag (cannot remember what was the other comics) and lo and behold Uncanny X-Men #207!!!

To say the least, i was stunned at finding it in such a fashion (also through said showbags, was where i first read my first x-men comic #169). cloud9.gif

Anyone else have stories in the same vein?

It wasn't really a "missing" issue. But my dad took me to get a haircut once when I was about 8 years old. While waiting for my turn I looked through the magazines the barber had stacked on a table and lo and behold was an FF #8! I read it while I got my haircut and the barber said I could keep it.

One of the best haircut experiences of my life!

There was only one better, but since this is a family show, I won't discuss it.

This isn't really an unusual place, but I miss the newstand collecting. I started collecting Action Comics around issue 506. We didn't have a local comic store and I was at an age I didn't even know there were comic stores. Anyway, I discovered that newstand issues had a long shelf life as they would get tucked under magazines or fall behind items on the magazine rack. Or, collectors would hide them off the spinner racks and put them behind magazine racks. At each store that carried comics I would check their magazine racks for "back issues" and managed to pick up about 6 months worth of back issues and some even older. I also remember the spinner rack was close to the tobacco dept at the drug store and I always associated comics with that smell. cloud9.gif

My Dad bought a house, and before we could move in we had to do alot of renovating. He asked me for help one night ( Unusual, as he is very much a do it yourselfer and the way i did anything was wrong to him ) and he handed me a crowbar and we began ripping the drywall out of a kitchen wall section. Lo and behold the whole wall section had been insulated with comics and magazines. Everything was from around 1950's. Course, if I had known the stuff was there I would have ripped the walls off more delicately. Most the comics were thrashed.

Artboy99

My cousins were readers of Marvel buying many issues of Spiderman, FF, Avengers, and Conan through the late '60's and early 70's. My uncle decided to renovate the home and put in a new ceiling leaving the comics in the Attic. He figured it was only paper and didn't feel the need to "clean out the attic" before he decided to board it up.

To this day, they are all up there. If it's any consolation, I do remember the books were well read and not looked after. However, if I was a do-it-your-selfer I would definitely crack the ceiling, take the comics and re-seal everything. Just not sure if it would be worth the effort. If I new they were all NM, I'd do it in a heart-beat. I do have strong suspicion what I'll find are reader copies.

My cousins were readers of Marvel buying many issues of Spiderman, FF, Avengers, and Conan through the late '60's and early 70's. My uncle decided to renovate the home and put in a new ceiling leaving the comics in the Attic. He figured it was only paper and didn't feel the need to "clean out the attic" before he decided to board it up.

To this day, they are all up there. If it's any consolation, I do remember the books were well read and not looked after. However, if I was a do-it-your-selfer I would definitely crack the ceiling, take the comics and re-seal everything. Just not sure if it would be worth the effort. If I new they were all NM, I'd do it in a heart-beat. I do have strong suspicion what I'll find are reader copies.

you have to remember that collectors back there sometimes traded for earlier books, so you could have a gem in there? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

They were not collectors...just readers. Even back then (I actually didn't start collecting comics until 10 - 15 years later) I was horrified to see them folding back the comic on itself as they were reading them. I am thinking the combination of their reading styles as well as 30 years in an attic might leave them a bit on the "nasty" side in terms of condition. Anything left up there would be VG at best.

If this were my place, I would have been up there a long time ago.

They were not collectors...just readers. Even back then (I actually didn't start collecting comics until 10 - 15 years later) I was horrified to see them folding back the comic on itself as they were reading them. I am thinking the combination of their reading styles as well as 30 years in an attic might leave them a bit on the "nasty" side in terms of condition. Anything left up there would be VG at best.

I'm betting by this time they are mouse and roach food.

I'm betting by this time they are mouse and roach food.

893whatthe.gif