• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four #6

16 posts in this topic

Front cover has minor spine wear, a small scuff near the comics code stamp, and a non-color breaking one inch crease at LRFC. Back cover has one eight inch tear in bottom edge. Pages are off-white to white, inside covers are bright. Thanks for your help!

FF6front.jpg

FF6back.jpg

i gotta go with a 6.5 as the book really presents well............that LRFC crease is the real killer as it jumps out at you..........

IMO, that's the real challenge of grading midgrade books. Not all 2 inch creases are created equal.

A 2 inch diagonal corner crease tends to smack you in the face and really impact eye appeal.

Yet a 2 inch vertical crease parallel and close to the spine or in an area where it's obscured by artwork doesn't have nearly the same impact on eye appeal.

In my view, this is where the "art" of grading comes into play and where a crease of the same technical length can make one book a 5.0 and another book a 6.0.

i gotta go with a 6.5 as the book really presents well............that LRFC crease is the real killer as it jumps out at you..........

IMO, that's the real challenge of grading midgrade books. Not all 2 inch creases are created equal.

A 2 inch diagonal corner crease tends to smack you in the face and really impact eye appeal.

Yet a 2 inch vertical crease parallel and close to the spine or in an area where it's obscured by artwork doesn't have nearly the same impact on eye appeal.

In my view, this is where the "art" of grading comes into play and where a crease of the same technical length can make one book a 5.0 and another book a 6.0.

Interesting observation...............one wonders how CGC would view this particular grading aspect?!?! devil.gif

In person, this book looks to be a 6.0. The back cover isn't as pristine as the scan appears to show, with an indent that does not break paper along part of the bottom edge. The front cover corner crease does not completely break color, and so in person is not as significant as a full-blown color-breaking one.

Thanks, everyone, for your opinions. acclaim.gif

Interesting observation...............one wonders how CGC would view this particular grading aspect?!?! devil.gif

Of course, I could be wrong, but my sense is that CGC tends to grade from a technical aspect much more so than an eye appeal aspect.

And that's why one can often find great looking 5.0s and horrible looking 7.0s.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice copy. Initially I thought 5.5 with the crease. But I think it is more of a 6.0. It has strong appeal overall.

Agreed. I think anything over 6.0 is a bit optimistic considering the moderate diagonal crease.

i don't see that crease keeping it out of the fine range as it is light and thin. My choice was between 6.0 and 6.5 when i originally graded it- i went for the higher grade because of the color strike and cleanliness! Most fine graded books are a little more drab. Still I think if we are within a 1/2 grade of each other then we pretty much agree- I am actually very comfortable calling this a 6.0 as well but can never really render a final grade until; i have the book in hand!